Porsche 718 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
On the subject of the 4,000 RPM break-in limit - these cars are so fast at low RPMs that I hardly ever get above 4,000 RPM on the street. The only time that would be possible (without getting arrested) is going on to a highway. And 90% of the time I'm behind someone who is doing the usual 40mph approach to a highway. I still have a ton of fun without getting over 4,000 RPM.

Now the track - that is where I go to go fast! That's definitely over 4,000 RPM!

·
Registered
382 Posts
On the subject of the 4,000 RPM break-in limit - these cars are so fast at low RPMs that I hardly ever get above 4,000 RPM on the street. The only time that would be possible (without getting arrested) is going on to a highway. And 90% of the time I'm behind someone who is doing the usual 40mph approach to a highway. I still have a ton of fun without getting over 4,000 RPM.

Now the track - that is where I go to go fast! That's definitely over 4,000 RPM!
I can see going over 4000 in a few gears easily. Especially 1st. :D

Still at 600 miles. So its getting ready!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I can see going over 4000 in a few gears easily. Especially 1st. :D

That gets you to around 30 mph. That's the speed limit already on most roads where I live. So unless you immediately back off you'll be at 50 before you know it! Far too risky with the police. I find shifting around 3,000-3,500 in first is about right for me, again on roads with 30-35 mph speed limits. And that is if nobody is in front of me. When there are cars in front then I'm shifting at about 1,500 to avoid running into them!

·
Registered
382 Posts
That gets you to around 30 mph. That's the speed limit already on most roads where I live. So unless you immediately back off you'll be at 50 before you know it! Far too risky with the police. I find shifting around 3,000-3,500 in first is about right for me, again on roads with 30-35 mph speed limits. And that is if nobody is in front of me. When there are cars in front then I'm shifting at about 1,500 to avoid running into them!
We have some roads where the speed limits range a bit but some 40-55 are available and of course there's the occasional onramps to highways when someone is not in front of us. Don't get me wrong I don't drive like a nut or anything... just saying that 4000 isn't the high limit.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
With the ease of PDK, I've been at/near 4K on a couple of occasions. Quite fun to feel it pull. Most of the time I'm a little firm on the right foot and need to pull back quickly to stay at/near legal limits. Scared to think of what might happen at 2K miles :eek:. Also looking forward to paddle shifts - I've avoided those thus far.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
Earlier this month, with 11 miles on the odometer, the Atlanta PEC firmly told me "there is no break in - the engine is already broken in". They were so firm about this I was polite and thought any farther conversation would be unproductive. However, I certainly did not and do not feel that advice was appropriate and I am very impatiently not exceeding 4000 RPM for the first 2K miles. Nevertheless, I cannot find anything published by Porsche, either in my printed written manual or in the on-line manuals discussing a break-in regimen. So, what is the source of the 2K mile/4000 max RPM regimen that seems to be de rigueur by everyone including me?

Others above have stated "as in the manual" but I cannot find anything in my manual.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Earlier this month, with 11 miles on the odometer, the Atlanta PEC firmly told me "there is no break in - the engine is already broken in". They were so firm about this I was polite and thought any farther conversation would be unproductive. However, I certainly did not and do not feel that advice was appropriate and I am very impatiently not exceeding 4000 RPM for the first 2K miles. Nevertheless, I cannot find anything published by Porsche, either in my printed written manual or in the on-line manuals discussing a break-in regimen. So, what is the source of the 2K mile/4000 max RPM regimen that seems to be de rigueur by everyone including me?

Others above have stated "as in the manual" but I cannot find anything in my manual.
It is indeed in the manual. I'll try to locate it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Thanks! Found it on page 13. I searched under various combinations of break in but "run in" or "running in" would have been more productive.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Interesting...

Went to the PEC at Silverstone for a half-day last week whilst waiting for my car to be shipped from the factory. I had a new - and I mean really new; just 87 miles on the clock - Cayman T sitting outside waiting for me. Taking it out on the handling circuit I was going quite easy with it, but after 2 laps my instructor told me in no uncertain terms to give it far more revs before shifting: In her words, they are run in at the factory, you don't need to baby them. Only a few minutes into my drive, I was changing up at around 6,500 revs on the circuits, before doing launches from standstill and emergency stops, and later on drifting the car around corners and doing donuts (badly - more like pretzels) on the low-friction track. By the end of the day, I was told I was "right on the limit" through certain corners when we went back to the handling tracks - which was nice to hear because for me that's what track driving is about. It was brilliant fun, but also pretty much everything the manual advises against doing.

That car was obviously there for demos and is going to have only 12-18 months of service at the PEC during which time it will get a good going-over by Porsche techs on a very regular basis, but I suspect the car can take being driven reasonably hard from day one if you really wanted to - surely they wouldn't wreck the demo car which would otherwise be sold as Porsche Approved Used after completing its tour of duty. The entries in the manual are presumably ensuring you don't go completely over the top and erring well on the side of caution, as you wont be servicing it weekly.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Interesting...

Went to the PEC at Silverstone for a half-day last week whilst waiting for my car to be shipped from the factory. I had a new - and I mean really new; just 87 miles on the clock - Cayman T sitting outside waiting for me. Taking it out on the handling circuit I was going quite easy with it, but after 2 laps my instructor told me in no uncertain terms to give it far more revs before shifting: In her words, they are run in at the factory, you don't need to baby them. Only a few minutes into my drive, I was changing up at around 6,500 revs on the circuits, before doing launches from standstill and emergency stops, and later on drifting the car around corners and doing donuts (badly - more like pretzels) on the low-friction track. By the end of the day, I was told I was "right on the limit" through certain corners when we went back to the handling tracks - which was nice to hear because for me that's what track driving is about. It was brilliant fun, but also pretty much everything the manual advises against doing.

That car was obviously there for demos and is going to have only 12-18 months of service at the PEC during which time it will get a good going-over by Porsche techs on a very regular basis, but I suspect the car can take being driven reasonably hard from day one if you really wanted to - surely they wouldn't wreck the demo car which would otherwise be sold as Porsche Approved Used after completing its tour of duty. The entries in the manual are presumably ensuring you don't go completely over the top and erring well on the side of caution, as you wont be servicing it weekly.
I feel sorry for whoever gets that car as a CPO car!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I wonder this too honestly. IMO I don't think it makes sense to 'beat on' a brand new car if you are concerned about longevity. That being said my Cayman S has just over 1800 miles and it's seen occasion blips over 4K RPM... matter of fact last night it saw a few shifts between 6-7k!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The 4K rpm line was very clear and distinctive when the car was new. Approaching 2K miles now and that line is blurred. The needle is around that area on occasion, I think :oops:

·
Registered
382 Posts
The 4K rpm line was very clear and distinctive when the car was new. Approaching 2K miles now and that line is blurred. The needle is around that area on occasion, I think :oops:
I mean it's only fair to let her know what she's in for!

·
Super Moderator
1,995 Posts
Porsche's recommendations for break-in are clear; and would be designed for minimum problems. After all, warranty work is expensive for them.

PEC etc. are public relations exercises and I'm sure Porsche has considered the costs in reduced reliability as acceptable. I'd be willing to bet that some of the 'thrashed' cars have work done on them before they are sold.

How do you want your car to function? Drive it to match.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts