Porsche 718 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Right now, I'm in the process of breaking in my new Boxster S and have 266 miles on the odometer so far. I'm keeping it under 4,000 RPM for the first 2000 miles, but I'm neither babying it or beating it. Yesterday I did a 150 mile loop out to the winding mountain roads east of San Diego and was driving like I normally do, except keeping under 4,000. This is definitely a fun car!

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,472 Posts
Right now, I'm in the process of breaking in my new Boxster S and have 266 miles on the odometer so far. I'm keeping it under 4,000 RPM for the first 2000 miles, but I'm neither babying it or beating it. Yesterday I did a 150 mile loop out to the winding mountain roads east of San Diego and was driving like I normally do, except keeping under 4,000. This is definitely a fun car!
I think that's the way to do it. As I've posted earlier in this thread, I think being fairly aggressive but keeping it under 4,000 RPMs as much as possible is the way to go. Part of the reason Porsche changed from 1,000 miles to 2,000 miles is reputed to be because most people don't work the engine within those confines and it takes longer to get the parts married properly. Oddly, I've found that even after the break-in period, I spend most of my time driving below 4,000 RPMs, but not as rigorously and certainly not on the track.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The manual says "avoid," not "never," take it above 4000RPM during the break in period .

I don't think I'm doing the engine any favors by never taking it above 4000 RPM during that time, and then all of a sudden letting loose at 2000 miles. Once the engine is warm, occasional shifts to 5000 after 500 miles, 6000 RPM after 1000 miles, 7000RPM after 1500 miles makes sense to me as a more gradual approach, but to each his own. The base 718 doesn't come alive until it's above 3K RPM, IMO.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The manual says "avoid," not "never," take it above 4000RPM during the break in period .

I don't think I'm doing the engine any favors by never taking it above 4000 RPM during that time, and then all of a sudden letting loose at 2000 miles. Once the engine is warm, occasional shifts to 5000 after 500 miles, 6000 RPM after 1000 miles, 7000RPM after 1500 miles makes sense to me as a more gradual approach, but to each his own. The base 718 doesn't come alive until it's above 3K RPM, IMO.
It's helpful to hear the different points of view on the subject. After thinking about it, I like the idea of easing into the higher RPM ranges in gradual steps, like you indicated. I'll probably stay away from 7000 RPM or anything close to redline for a while though. Every new owner should do what feels right to them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's helpful to hear the different points of view on the subject. After thinking about it, I like the idea of easing into the higher RPM ranges in gradual steps, like you indicated. I'll probably stay away from 7000 RPM or anything close to redline for a while though. Every new owner should do what feels right to them.
The German printed owners manual, which I have for for the 981, doesn't even mention the 4000 RPM number, which has somehow become a commandment in the US:
Text Font Document Paper

At arrow, it says "Avoid higher RPMs, especially when the engine is cold".

And 3000 km is only 1864 miles, not 2000:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just got my new cayman T done around 300km or so and am aware of the 3000km break in and driving accordingly under 4000rpm
Question is can I almost floor it under that for short thrusts just to hear that growl 😜 now and then... with no worries or do I have to Sunday drive it for 4000 km 😂😂

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Some pay no attention to those things and others adhere to the tee. Just wouldn't hit red line or money shift (if manual) at a minimum. They know things if something breaks!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Some pay no attention to those things and others adhere to the tee. Just wouldn't hit red line or money shift (if manual) at a minimum. They know things if something breaks!
They certainly do "know things". My wife hasn't driven her Mercedes much since we have been in California. It sits a lot and the battery doesn't get charged. This morning she got in her car to drive downtown. I got a message on my phone saying the battery was low.

I pretty much adhere to a gentle break in . . . but I'm never very hard on a car anyway.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yep, and Porsche will know when they download the data from OBD if it is hauled to the shop.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
In the old days it was said not to drive too hard during break-in. Then it was sometimes said to break it in the way you wanted to drive it. I broke in a rebuilt Spitfire engine by doing highway speed limit, plus or minus some, mostly plus, and I ain't saying how much plus, when I drove it home from the shop. I never floored the accelerator though. Then I was moderately careful but never babied it. A big thing was supposed to be varying the rpm. That engine was still going strong 30 years later when I sold the car to buy the Cayman. With so much conflicting information I'd say go by Porsche's recommendation. Save the high rpm's till later. And I think the manual says don't use full throttle, but maybe I misremember.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
118 Posts
I drove more surface streets on the way to work. I kept it under 4K for almost 1000 miles. Then I punched it a few times getting onto the freeway late at night with no traffic. I still backed off before it got over 5500 and I got too far over the speed limit. I'm at about 1850 miles now and am through with any restrictions, though all I'm doing is 'normal' driving, no track use. I'll try a full power launch one of these days though.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I say stick with what Porsche recommends. If it didn’t matter, why would they go out of their way to specify a specific set of perimeters in the owners manual?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Adhered to Porsche's instructions. Figured if something went wrong and had to rely on warranty coverage, they would know whether or not I complied. Regardless, accidentally (honest!) hit ~5,000+ rpms two or three times before 2000 miles, but dropped throttle immediately upon realization. Seriously, run-in was the most excruciatingly painful part of buying an effectively new 1,000 mile 718.

Reactions: JazzCatGab

·
Registered
2021 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 PDK
11 Posts
I have a GTS 4.0 PDK and I'm adhering to Andreas Preuninger's (the Porsche GT department boss) recommendations:

"For the first 500 kilometres (~300 miles), we don’t drive the car ever over 5,000 rpm—never. From then on, every 200 kilometres (~125 miles), we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1,300-1,400 kilometres (~800-875 miles) at the threshold before we can really go full throttle."

I'm starting with 4,000 rpms as my general limit for the first 500 km, but occasionally, when the engine is warm and cosy, there might be a very short visit to 5,000 rpms. Also, varied rpms and speeds, and sometimes letting the engine break (i.e. not using the break pedal every time you need to diminish the speed), I think is vital to end up with a strong dynamic engine. I never drive my cars hard until the engine's warm (oil temp ≥80°C/≥175°F), but after that I pretty much push them hard, and they do seem to run better—without neither short nor long term issues—than identical cars that have been babied by their owners :).

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I try not to use the words Porsche and break in the same sentence. However as for driving my new car I followed Porsche's recommendation, stay below 4000rpm (except for one or two occasions) for the first thousand miles, or two thousand or whatever, I don't recall. It's been a while since I worried about it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a GTS 4.0 PDK and I'm adhering to Andreas Preuninger's (the Porsche GT department boss) recommendations:

"For the first 500 kilometres (~300 miles), we don’t drive the car ever over 5,000 rpm—never. From then on, every 200 kilometres (~125 miles), we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1,300-1,400 kilometres (~800-875 miles) at the threshold before we can really go full throttle.".
Oh, :poop:. I live in Billings MT and put about 4000 miles per YEAR on my car. I ain't sure I'll be able to wait 6 months to let things go.

OTOH, when I bought my 996 the dealership recommended the car be broken in by not limiting revs for 1000 miles but to stretch the engine out "gently". They compared to to "an athlete or dancer warming up". They go easy until warm, but they it's imperative that they take their muscles through their full range of motion in their routine.

Their advice is similar to Emm's comment, and his plan kinda splits the difference.

I'll be at the Porsche experience center in a couple of weeks and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Oh, :poop:. I live in Billings MT and put about 4000 miles per YEAR on my car. I ain't sure I'll be able to wait 6 months to let things go.

OTOH, when I bought my 996 the dealership recommended the car be broken in by not limiting revs for 1000 miles but to stretch the engine out "gently". They compared to to "an athlete or dancer warming up". They go easy until warm, but they it's imperative that they take their muscles through their full range of motion in their routine.

Their advice is similar to Emm's comment, and his plan kinda splits the difference.

I'll be at the Porsche experience center in a couple of weeks and see what they say.
What did the PEC say about break In?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
When I rebuilt the engine in a 71 Cuda in 1977 I was told that varying the speed and rpm was important during the break in period(500 miles)
I was told that the stroke increases at higher rpms and that when you break it in you need to go higher rpms to seat the piston in the cylinder correctly.
I would be very interested in a mechanic/engineer to discuss this topic at length !!

101 - 120 of 125 Posts