Porsche 718 Forum banner
121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
What did the PEC say about break In?
I was told that the stroke increases at higher rpms and that when you break it in you need to go higher rpms to seat the piston in the cylinder correctly.
One of the folks at the PEC who shall remain nameless will not confirm nor deny that he MIGHT agree with what the guys at my dealership, Emm and Pedidoc said:
  1. Not necessary to go the full 2000km recommended in the manual, that 1000 miles is enough
  2. Stay under 4000 rpm's for the first 500 miles
  3. Take it to redline after 500 miles, but do it gently. No putting your foot into it. He MIGHT have agreed with the picture I drew of the athete going through his full range of motion, but doing so in a deliberate and gradual manner
I of course cannot confirm nor deny anything in this post as being based on an actual encounter while at a PEC at some point in the past......

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
One of the folks at the PEC who shall remain nameless will not confirm nor deny that he MIGHT agree with what the guys at my dealership, Emm and Pedidoc said:
  1. Not necessary to go the full 2000km recommended in the manual, that 1000 miles is enough
  2. Stay under 4000 rpm's for the first 500 miles
  3. Take it to redline after 500 miles, but do it gently. No putting your foot into it. He MIGHT have agreed with the picture I drew of the athete going through his full range of motion, but doing so in a deliberate and gradual manner
I of course cannot confirm nor deny anything in this post as being based on an actual encounter while at a PEC at some point in the past......
Now that is how I broke my Cuda in !

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Can you actually confirm that, or will you deny it, or neither?????
If you confirm it will you deny that you confirmed it?

In the old days I was told the same thing about the ends of the stroke varying slightly with rpm. It makes sense since the momentum of the piston goes up with rpm. The bearings ride on a cushion of oil so they aren't always in exactly the same place. Greater momentum could cause the limits of the piston travel to be greater. By varying the rpm you avoid developing a ridge at the upper and lower edges.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
705 Posts
Just passed 1k. Been pretty good about the 4k rpm range (except for a few times my mind wandered). Another 1k to go. No faults indicated. Noticable change in exhaust sound during last few outings. Deeper and more robust. Racing yellow really hides normal road dirt. Rims and brake dust need attention more than anything else. Driving with paddles more than PDK to keep rpm above the 2k mark.

121 - 125 of 125 Posts