Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my wife's new Boxster yesterday, first time I've ever driven a PDK. For those that have it, how do you use it? Are you basically just driving a car with an automatic transmission?

My last two Ferraris had paddles. They were large and stayed stationary when the steering wheel turned. I NEVER put those cars into auto mode and used the paddles for every shift. I didn't necessarily like having paddles, but it still felt like I was controlling every shift.

PDK has tiny paddles that rotate with the steering wheel. They don't seem at all functional. Does anyone actually use them?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I drove my wife's new Boxster yesterday, first time I've ever driven a PDK. For those that have it, how do you use it? Are you basically just driving a car with an automatic transmission?

My last two Ferraris had paddles. They were large and stayed stationary when the steering wheel turned. I NEVER put those cars into auto mode and used the paddles for every shift. I didn't necessarily like having paddles, but it still felt like I was controlling every shift.

PDK has tiny paddles that rotate with the steering wheel. They don't seem at all functional. Does anyone actually use them?
BTW,
Sorry, the below information may NOT have anything of use to your Wife's New Porsche Boxter ???

I now have 5,200 total miles on my 2021 GT4.
My preference is to push the Sport Btn. and also to push and deactivate the Auto-Stop/Start.

Honestly there is no real need to use the Shift Paddles if you Activate Sport-Mode.
It does exactly what one wants the Majority of the time.

(Opinion) the shift paddles are for those that love screwing/messing around playing ...............

They are definitely NOT for increasing Performance.

Below is something you might very well be interested in adding to your New GT4 ???
And NOT have to be concerned over Retaining the Full-Factory-Warranty. ;)

Cargraphics Mode 2 valve controller, BMC Performance intake filters, SOUL OAP install

Both videos testing SOUL, Cargraphics, BMC filters, Windows Up & Down (Comparisons)

Congratulations on your (Wife's) New Porsche Boxter. (y)

Terry

·
Registered
601 Posts
My car's got 25,000 miles on it now. I drove in automatic a little bit during break in, to avoid bumping up the engine speed with a negligent down shift. But I soon switched to paddle shifting, and since then, I doubt I've driven 100 miles in automatic mode.

In my experience, regardless of the drive mode selected, the automatic PDK is not smart; it's not intuitive; it doesn't do exactly what I would do. Nor would I hope or expect it to. It doesn't "learn" how I drive, start finishing my sentences for me, and then forget what it's learned twenty minutes later.

I've not driven a car with the paddles on the steering column, so I don't know. Maybe for a street car that would be better. Race cars seem to have them on the wheel. Seems like neither position could be perfect all the time.

·
Registered
2019 Cayman S, Cobb Stage 1 OTS, BMC Air Filter, Soul Catted Downpipe, Center Radiator
247 Posts

I use the PDK 100% of the time and don't think about shifting. .

·
Registered
256 Posts
My 718 isn't here yet but my wife just uses the Auto mode on her Macan. When I use her Macan I use the Sport mode and let the car shift most of the time. However, I use the paddles for passing and climbing steep grades. I like the RPMs to be a tad higher than the ECU does. Occasionally I will drive the Macan in manual mode and do all of the shifting. When I do I find myself driving a bit more aggressively which may or may not be a bad thing. I imagine when my BB arrives I will drive it in a similar fashion.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Only car I've every driven with the large column mounted paddles was an Alfa Giulia. I can see the argument for both set ups but I'm personally more accustomed and used to wheel mounted paddles. I find the Porsche paddles to be sized just fine. I had a GTI with very small paddles and I added extensions on that one. My Cayman is a manual but I've owned a total of 3 dual clutch cars now. I currently still have a Macan and a RS5. The amount I use the paddles varies by the car. On my Macan, I usually just leave it in sport mode and downshift with the paddles on occasion for fun because it's already in the optimal rev range for me nearly all of the time. On my RS5, it's about 50/50 because I like to hear the engine on that one but the transmission also shifts very aggressively when in manual mode. On my GTI, I used the paddles almost all of the time to keep the small 2 liter in the rev range that I wanted and it also made nice little burps and crackles.

·
Registered
2022 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
16 Posts
My CGTS is my third car with a PDK. My impression is that with each new iteration of Porsche’s PDK, the shifting and gear selection gets better and more intuitive. I should say that I alway use Sport Mode with occasional drives in Sport Plus. Paddles? Use them sometimes, but I use the shifter to change gears, too, when in Manual Mode.
However, 90% of the time the PDK knows what gear to use for the way the car is being driven. Again, this is in Sport Mode. YAMMV. 😎

·
Registered
867 Posts
I am glad this thread got started and hoping to see more comments. My Boxster is manual but my X3 (M version) is automatic with paddles on the steering wheel and, of course, is never driven competitively. With rare exceptions, I never use the paddles because I really do not know what they will accomplish in comparison to what the computer controlling the transmission already does. It seems to me, the computer monitors the amount of throttle application and automatically downshifts when appropriate and it does this very quickly. In Sport mode, at a steady state 80 mph or so, on cruise control, it will not shift into the highest most economical 8th gear. If I use the paddles to up shift, in a few seconds it downshifts to, I think, 7th, so the paddles serve no purpose here either. So, my limited experience with paddles does not really impress me that they serve any real purpose. But since the rest of the world seems to think they are useful, I am very interested to see what I can learn from this thread.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the paddles (or a manual transmission) just eliminate some of the boredom of driving a car with an automatic transmission? Although you would have to convince me that on a track the PDK can think better than a human. I've sat in the instructor's seat with some students that had automatic/PDK and the shifting sometimes seemed random.

·
Registered
Cayman GTS 4.0
259 Posts
I use the paddles in manual mode when using Sport+. I want the car to shift later than using auto in Sport, but don't want to redline every gear either. I also use it in Sport when the auto shift points don't suit my mood or the road ahead. It gives you the flexibility to do exactly what you want.

I rarely use normal mode but when I do I will sometimes use manual mode as auto shuffles up to 7th gear when doing 30 mph otherwise.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
241 Posts
I use the paddles all the time, mostly to shift into a lower gear when going around someone on the freeway or engine braking.
I never use the paddles, on any of my cars. I don't race the cars on the track, street, otherwise. If I need to get around someone on the freeway pushing the accelerator to floor works just fine for me. If I need to get around them faster than that it probably is not safe to pass them and I will wait until it is safe.

·
Registered
Cayman GTS 4.0
259 Posts
I think the paddles (or a manual transmission) just eliminate some of the boredom of driving a car with an automatic transmission? Although you would have to convince me that on a track the PDK can think better than a human. I've sat in the instructor's seat with some students that had automatic/PDK and the shifting sometimes seemed random.
There is no boredom driving PDK. Unless that is you seem to think driving "stick" is somehow heroic.

I'm bored of driving manuals after 40 years of it.

PDK can be a bit random if the driver is random on the throttle or brakes. Drive it properly and it will respond in a similar manner.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use manual mode on the street to allow me to have the throttle response of Sport+ without the racetrack shift points. Normal mode throttle response/boost is too slow for me unless I'm lazily cruising and I'm not a big fan of the pops and burbles in Sport. It was fun for awhile but grew old.

If I have a tight turn from a dead stop, I will use the shifter to upshift to 2nd gear instead of trying to "chase" the paddles. Otherwise I mostly use the paddles but sometimes I will just use the shifter to give me that "manual" sorta feel. Overall, I am manual mode about 75% of the time.

If and when I get it on the track, I would like to see if the PDK Sport+ is as telepathic as some of the reviews say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m still waiting for my 718 (manual) so can’t speak for the 718 PDK, however I find the PDK on my wife’s Macan S VERY VERY inconsistent. Sometimes it shifts quickly, sometimes (feels like) forever.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts