Porsche 718 Forum banner

What do you drive?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
With China market only able to order 2.0 and 2.5 (Incl GTS) but not 4.0, considering it is the largest market for Porsche, it does not look like a crazy idea that these turbo models became a great seller Porsche overall.
Even the 25th Anniversary Boxster is a T4 in China.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I couldn’t be happier with my GTS turbo. Would I turn down a GT4? No but that’s not realistic until I put some kids through school. Then maybe. By then I’m sure every car will be electric which really seems bland. All cars will be fast and quiet.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
having had both, and I'd say that 90% of the 4.0 votes have as well... I think no less of the F4T than the NA4.0. To me power is power... if the car performs who cares what the method of delivery is? I'll tell you who... stupid YouTube'ers and their 13year old followers.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
For most of us, the difference in horsepower/torque numbers is beyond what we can sense.

It is all having to do with power delivery. For city driving, twisties, the turbo-4 with its low torque shines, while in the tracks that have some longish straights, the NA-6 shines (and sounds) while the F4T starts to choke (but there is always the next gear, isn't it?). :giggle:

Most of us that use the 718 as a daily driver, can't drive in the city at 6000 rpm (I tried to do this with my Mustang GT and although it sounded glorious, it also felt dangerous...).😖🥶

I test drove the 911 Carrera (MY21) with the twin turbo. Man what a sweet power delivery curve!... :love::love:

The wife retorted dryly 'yeah,, sweet! But for how much? $40k? $50k?'...

(Well, closer to $60+k, :eek::eek: assuming a decent trade-in value for the 718).

Cayman 718 S zzzzgood!...:cool:

·
Registered
881 Posts
I actually think you'll find the 4.0 has enough low down torque to make it a suitable daily driver.

If anything both cars in eco/normal mode will be a bit sluggish due to fuel savings and emissions targets.

The 4.0 with its cylinder deactivation and both cars will want to change gears very early < ~ 1500RPM, where the turbo car is not that potent.

So both cars you'll need to drive in sport if you want to have fun but personally I just cruise around the city and suburbs in normal mode and the 2.5t is fast enough. I have enough fun in the mountains and on the track in Sport/Sport +.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts