Porsche 718 Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
When I bought my car, I had no intention of tracking it. I couldn't find a GTS that I could afford and needed a new car right then. My base has the handling goodies of a GTS (PASM, SC, PTV) so I thought the base engine was enough.

It is on the street, more than enough. But on the track, it's already gotten a little frustrating. Having a coach yell, "Gas, gas, gas" and I've already had it floored on the exit - that's when the extra HP becomes very desirable. I had hoped to trade in for a GTS this Spring and make some mods, but now I'll have to wait and see how things go with getting back to work.
As you are really getting involved with racing, your plan makes sense, IMHO. Meanwhile until you power up, I recommend my instructor's philosophy. He followed his dad into racing Porsche's about 20 years ago and currently owns about five of the brand, including several 911s. But, his favorite race car is his humble 914, which he did upgrade its 4 to a 6. He enjoys (some would say way too much) beating faster more powerful cars in the corners and expects them to pass him on the straights.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As you are really getting involved with racing, your plan makes sense, IMHO.... He enjoys (some would say way too much) beating faster more powerful cars in the corners and expects them to pass him on the straights.
I get that. It's kind of fun, but then getting blown off in straights gets a bit frustrating. I know that there's always faster cars out there, and a GTS would get smoked too by some cars, but a little less. I wonder if going with adding all of the GT3 parts that the GT4 has makes any sense to a base car (with SC, PASM and PTV). Outside of camber plates (which I think make a huge difference - even tweaking my fronts to -1.2 makes a huge difference to a non adjusted car), what am I chasing without voiding my warranty?

I can't wait to get back o the track again, but events are cancelled here through May. I'm a sports photographer, so I have no work right now, thus no money to put into any car anyway. A positive note is that my car is not my DD anymore. We decided to keep our Audio Q5 3.0T so I drive that most of the time. That means, I can make my 718 more of a track car... when I can afford it/if it's worth doing.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Last year I went with a friend in his C7 Z06 to a track day. It irked him to no end that many of the "beater" cars were hanging with him in the corners and was obviously happy to be able to pass them on the straight. Made his day. Enjoy knowing that some folks will admire your car's cornering abilities whether or not they show it. Smile when they pass you in the straights knowing that. Enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I get that. It's kind of fun, but then getting blown off in straights gets a bit frustrating. I know that there's always faster cars out there, and a GTS would get smoked too by some cars, but a little less. I wonder if going with adding all of the GT3 parts that the GT4 has makes any sense to a base car (with SC, PASM and PTV). Outside of camber plates (which I think make a huge difference - even tweaking my fronts to -1.2 makes a huge difference to a non adjusted car), what am I chasing without voiding my warranty?

I can't wait to get back o the track again, but events are cancelled here through May. I'm a sports photographer, so I have no work right now, thus no money to put into any car anyway. A positive note is that my car is not my DD anymore. We decided to keep our Audio Q5 3.0T so I drive that most of the time. That means, I can make my 718 more of a track car... when I can afford it/if it's worth doing.
Yep, not sure if the HPDE weekend I go to is going to happen the first weekend of June this year. Hope it does, but although I'm not pushing may base Cayman as hard as you, I'm interested to see if my new aero will have physical (as opposed to mental) effects on down force. I added a CF splitter, CF diffuser, and CF duck tail and only got one chance to take it up to speed before putting her back to slumber in the garage. But I did get her up to about 105 mph on a long, gentle-curvy four-lane in the country and she felt as grounded as on the straight at that speed. If you look at the GT4, aero-wise, it has the same three things (in the photos, its spoiler looks deeper like a duck tail), but with a wing and side scoop covers also. When I get faster, I'll consider the tweaking camber.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I added a CF splitter, CF diffuser, and CF duck tail and only got one chance to take it up to speed before putting her back to slumber in the garage. But I did get her up to about 105 mph on a long, gentle-curvy four-lane in the country and she felt as grounded as on the straight at that speed. If you look at the GT4, aero-wise, it has the same three things (in the photos, its spoiler looks deeper like a duck tail), but with a wing and side scoop covers also. When I get faster, I'll consider the tweaking camber.
Can you provide me a link to the parts you added? I'm thinking about adding something similar. Also, I could only get my camber in front to -1.2, but it made a big difference. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Can you provide me a link to the parts you added? I'm thinking about adding something similar. Also, I could only get my camber in front to -1.2, but it made a big difference. I highly recommend it.
The links to the parts are in the first post of my Building my own aero post, however, there are a number of CF diffusers on the market at about a third the cost of my TWL Carbon diffuser, but I wanted the one I got because the fins are deeper. Also, when I installed the diffuser, I didn't know how the sensors were attached until I took off the stock diffuser. When I can, I'm going to remove the new diffuser and install some brackets similar to the originals I got off eBay from a Berlin company. I haven't tested them yet so I haven't posted the link to those.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
"How much power do I need?"

How much can I have?
After reading some really great posts from owners of base 718 Caymans and Boxsters, I really do understand their point of view. I love a good touring car and a good, fun, lightweight great handling sports car...in the spirit of the early Brit and Italian machines. Base, especially a humble one, is priced where you can actually feel OK putting serious miles on it and getting to know it in all sorts of situations. That's a great thing, bonding with a good car. People who buy very expensive cars and just take them out for a couple hours on the weekends are missing the best of what Porsches should be about....Driving daily, driving on long trips, driving in harsh conditions...They excel at all these things and many Porsche buyers treat them as if the only thing they're good for is showing off and selling for the highest possible price. Whatever floats your boat, but the allure of a great car is in the driving.

If you check my signature, you'll see that my previous car was a '19 Carrera T. They are WONDERFUL cars, but just a bit too cushy, too rear-heavy, depending on too-wide tires to do its work; never approaching the limits of adhesion and, when they do, scaring the wee out of you.

I bought this T as a trophy after selling the business I nourished for 35 years. I found a reputable guy who desires to maintain and enhance it, not pump up the numbers and flip it. I paid my taxes on the sale and decided all this fooling with the configurator at night had to lead to something. I found the perfectly optioned Carrera T on my local dealer's online inventory. I made an appointment on a Thursday and drove the thing home. 4 months later, I had to sell it. It was still an in-demand car. Really, the only problem with it was that the car I traded was a really well modded '06 Cayman S. The T didn't hold a candle to it in sports car terms....and it's the lightest 911 made.

I loved the turbo 6. I loved the 7-speed manual, the posi and the lower gearing, the PASM, which has come a very long way since 2006, the pin-striped Sportex seats and CF interior, the white dials, the silver-grey belts...but they've just gotten a little, I don't know...posh.

I went back to the dealer and they let me drive a Cayman GTS. OMG. I was home again. All the fun of the '06...well 98%, plus a lot more comfort, better stereo, less better sound though. I pulled the Soundaktor fuse the first night. I don't hate the sound now, but it's not as good as a 6. I have Sport Exhaust on this thing. Not necessary, IMHO.

I'm very happy with this car. It is not what I would have ordered, but it is quite nice...and I do use every bit of the power occasionally...and that is very fun, but if it were not for the "reward" aspect, I'd be perfectly happy with a very plain base Cayman...and would probably like the sound of the 2 liter better than the 2.5.

I was a BMW CCA instructor for about 20 years, have driven the Nurburgring twice and many (all) the race tracks in the Midwest. I've motorcycle extensively on the best hilly back roads in Europe and the US. Took the '06 Cayman out to Montana to the BMW MOA national in Billings, MT. Bear Tooth Pass 5 times with my wife on that trip. She flew to Denver. I picked her up. She flew home from Billings and I soloed back to Chicago...in GT2 carbon buckets! This is BTW an excellent way to solve the problem of going out West with a spouse who's among those less afflicted with white-line fever.

:alien:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
After reading some really great posts from owners of base 718 Caymans and Boxsters, I really do understand their point of view. I love a good touring car and a good, fun, lightweight great handling sports car...in the spirit of the early Brit and Italian machines. Base, especially a humble one, is priced where you can actually feel OK putting serious miles on it and getting to know it in all sorts of situations. That's a great thing, bonding with a good car. People who buy very expensive cars and just take them out for a couple hours on the weekends are missing the best of what Porsches should be about....Driving daily, driving on long trips, driving in harsh conditions...They excel at all these things and many Porsche buyers treat them as if the only thing they're good for is showing off and selling for the highest possible price. Whatever floats your boat, but the allure of a great car is in the driving.

If you check my signature, you'll see that my previous car was a '19 Carrera T. They are WONDERFUL cars, but just a bit too cushy, too rear-heavy, depending on too-wide tires to do its work; never approaching the limits of adhesion and, when they do, scaring the wee out of you.

I bought this T as a trophy after selling the business I nourished for 35 years. I found a reputable guy who desires to maintain and enhance it, not pump up the numbers and flip it. I paid my taxes on the sale and decided all this fooling with the configurator at night had to lead to something. I found the perfectly optioned Carrera T on my local dealer's online inventory. I made an appointment on a Thursday and drove the thing home. 4 months later, I had to sell it. It was still an in-demand car. Really, the only problem with it was that the car I traded was a really well modded '06 Cayman S. The T didn't hold a candle to it in sports car terms....and it's the lightest 911 made.

I loved the turbo 6. I loved the 7-speed manual, the posi and the lower gearing, the PASM, which has come a very long way since 2006, the pin-striped Sportex seats and CF interior, the white dials, the silver-grey belts...but they've just gotten a little, I don't know...posh.

I went back to the dealer and they let me drive a Cayman GTS. OMG. I was home again. All the fun of the '06...well 98%, plus a lot more comfort, better stereo, less better sound though. I pulled the Soundaktor fuse the first night. I don't hate the sound now, but it's not as good as a 6. I have Sport Exhaust on this thing. Not necessary, IMHO.

I'm very happy with this car. It is not what I would have ordered, but it is quite nice...and I do use every bit of the power occasionally...and that is very fun, but if it were not for the "reward" aspect, I'd be perfectly happy with a very plain base Cayman...and would probably like the sound of the 2 liter better than the 2.5.

I was a BMW CCA instructor for about 20 years, have driven the Nurburgring twice and many (all) the race tracks in the Midwest. I've motorcycle extensively on the best hilly back roads in Europe and the US. Took the '06 Cayman out to Montana to the BMW MOA national in Billings, MT. Bear Tooth Pass 5 times with my wife on that trip. She flew to Denver. I picked her up. She flew home from Billings and I soloed back to Chicago...in GT2 carbon buckets! This is BTW an excellent way to solve the problem of going out West with a spouse who's among those less afflicted with white-line fever.

:alien:
Thank you for your response. I get it that some are in a never ending quest for more power. But, I started this thread because ( at 68yo and having owned many cars) I just thought that it needed to be stated that the Base Cayman( PDK or manual) is an incredibly, well balanced car. And I really get tired of the sound BS. My old '86 Carrera's sound was no better than my '18 Cayman base, and can't hold a candle in any parameter.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I should say I have owned a base Cayman and am the first to admit it scratched (and if I still had it, would continue to scratch) every itch I have for a sports car. The fact is I now own an S because I can, and because at odd moments it provides just some little bit extra. Performance or whatever. For the same reason I would buy a GT2RS if I could afford to have one (I can't.) Do I need all that power? Of course not. Would I have fun with it. By all means I think I would.

I agree with all the above posters who make an argument for a base cayman or boxster. Porsches are about much more than horsepower.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts