Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
……..so I won't get the car back for about 7 to 10 days but as soon as I do I will post my impressions.
You're back in the Waiter's Club...at least temporarily. ;)

And yes, let's get a report on that beast.

Reactions: Porsche2018

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
My two cents (actually, a little more ... but I digress):

First off, I'm going to echo what others have said: If someone is nonplussed by the actual figure, that person either doesn't understand you very well or isn't as good of a relation as you may have thought. Nothing wrong with either scenario unless it's acute and unexpected.

I'm not rich. I'm single and I make a good salary, but not one that warrants an $80k Porsche as my primary car. But I prioritize vehicles in my life -- always have, always will -- and those who are close to me know this and appreciate it, even if they can't or don't empathize or understand it.

I estranged myself from my nuclear family several years ago for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which was a near-total unwillingness to participate in my adult life. I'll leave that at that ... but they all know what tends to drive me. When my mother passed and left me a trust (that I never knew about until after her passing, incidentally), I decided to use part of it to buy my dream car pretty much outright.

So here I am. My mother wouldn't have approved, but she would have understood why. When his mother died in a fire, my father blew part of a life insurance settlement on an Austin-Healey in college, so he has no basis to disagree without a major dose of hypocrisy. I don't consider either, anyway -- and that makes considering how others might feel much easier. So when someone asks, I'm honest, and I let them think what they will -- but those who are important to me get why.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I’ll follow my 2addicts friend Mike with my 2 cents. Bought a 2017 CPO CS with 5k miles from a dealership in the Chicago area then flew up from Atlanta to finish the deal, pick it up and drive it home. The only people that knew ahead of time was my wife (whose approval was less than enuthisastic and more like tolerant- she is not a car person), my oldest son and my parents, oh and my fellow 718 Forum and 2addicts peeps! I can say they all understood, even my wife, that my passion for cars drove the decision, which I did not take lightly.

Being a military guy for a career (25 yrs, 9 mos) by in large I never had a lot of disposable income and I saved a good percentage on top of that. That said, I always drove cars that I enjoyed. (new 1988 Honda CRX, used 1984 Saab 900 Turbo, new 2001 Lexus IS300), but kept them a long time, the IS300 for 15 years. When I retired from the military in 2014 my financial situation slowly improved as my new civilian career advanced, we made some conscious decisions to increase disposable income and I had multiple streams of income coming in. Sold my IS300 and bought a 2017 BMW M240i. I reasoned I’d been saving for a whole career, could pay for it in cash if I wanted, I deserved to exercise my passion which had been de-prioritized based on priorities of time and money.

Fast forward to the last year, the BMW became a gateway drug as I modified it and personalized it. Again, I began saving for a weekend car seeking the next level. I had the fortune of renting a base 718 Cayman from Turo on a business trip. After that I knew what car I wanted next and set my sight on a new CGTS with a target of at least another year down the road. Before the holidays I started seriously considering CPO cars since I reasoned I can better justify my spending based on the value (because at heart I’m still a saver not a spender) and was in a position to do it now vice wait. After many years of a fairly risky profession (flew helicopters) I knew I’m a step-off-a-curb-into-a-bus away from it being over, so better to do it now!

Those who know my story, have no problem with my purchase. All the younger guys at work say, that’s what happens when you are a retired O-6, but even then, I’ve only gotten support from friends and family. Everyone else can Foxtrot Oscar!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Being my first Porsche and having worked for >25y I had similar reservations about explaining it to people esp the ones who aren’t close eg colleagues and relatives.

The Wife, family and close friends understood my rationale - which is really about passion for cars and driving particularly “lifestyle” cars that propels one into a new motivation and mindset to excel even more in life. (Sorry if that sounds ultra philosophical but it kinda works for me...)

So the not so significant others are unaware yet. I am originally prepared to say that this ride is “an advance from my retirement fund” which is technically and factually true. With what’s going on nowadays, ticking off the bucket list earlier is not a bad idea. Live without regrets.

But having heard from everyone maybe I should just tell them what it actually cost and leave it at that? We don’t need to account for how we lead our lives...

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
But having heard from everyone maybe I should just tell them what it actually cost and leave it at that? We don’t need to account for how we lead our lives...
Yep. Life is far, far too short to worry about how others for whom you are not responsible judge you. I let 'em do what they will, then go on my merry way (and usually faster than they do) ...

... and I do my very best to use the same approach with others. It's truly amazing how honesty, combined with resisting the urge to make simplistic conclusions, enables respect and openness in both others and yourself. It snowballs.

Reactions: Beardy and NeTx

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought my first Porsche in 1997, a brand new 1998 993 Carrera S that I bought off the showroom floor with money I made during the internet stock bubble in the 1998. I was 28 years old and my family probably thought I was crazy. I had invested well and thought it would be good to take some off the table. Turns out the 993 was a great investment because a good portion of that portfolio was worthless within a year.

What you do with your money is no one else's business and you should never apologize or try to justify it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My first Porsche was a 2007 Cayman S, bought new. Over 10 years later, I was still quite content with it.
But I would occasionally play around with the configurator. Just for grins, I spec’d my dream car - a 718 CGTS with all the goodies. Color, leather, performance and luxury options. That’s 911 money, but 911’s have too many seats and the engine in the wrong place, IMO.
Then one Saturday morning, I see that my local dealer has THAT car!

Now the only other person in my life that has any standing to influence how I spend my money is my wife. Even though I wasn’t in the market for a new car, I told my wife about it. Her response was “Let’s Go!”.
She’s a keeper. ( The wife - and the car)

When anybody asks what I paid for the car, I tell them. Might as well be truthful. I don’t know why they’re asking, nor what they think of me or my response. That’s frankly none of my concern.

·
Registered
126 Posts
with online build tool so readily available with pricing there's not much point to at least giving an accurate ballpark cost figure. if folks really want to know they can easily go get that number on their own anyway. take a few minutes tops

·
Registered
142 Posts
One of the locals at the pub said “can I ask how much your car cost? My reply was just ‘no’ and left it at that.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have never been asked by friends or family but some strangers have asked. When I responded "Guess" all three of them gave figures well over $100K to which I smiled. I suppose that makes the real price of $80K seem like a bargain.

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
I have never been asked by friends or family but some strangers have asked. When I responded "Guess" all three of them gave figures well over $100K to which I smiled. I suppose that makes the real price of $80K seem like a bargain.
I've had this happen several times, too. The automotively ignorant assume 'Porsche' automatically means six figures. I'm quite OK with that. :p

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I think that's the sticking point in all of this. Most folks think a P car (in general) is a very expensive exotic car. We all know that one can be obtained for the cost of other more common vehicles, but the public at large does not. Maybe it's the mystic of the P brand (purposefully or not by Porsche). I've only seen one add on TV in the US for a Porsche (SUV) and it has not run very long.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We purchased our first Porsche, a 718 Boxster, in January 2017. When I was asked how I could afford it, I told them I traded in our 2007 Honda Civic and walked away.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Had a refreshing encounter with a young man yesterday at a big box store carry-out lane. I pulled up to get the merchandise and he started to the rear. I pointed to the front and he said oh yeah. Then he asked me what I did (for a living) to get this car. I didn't take that as a question of how much it was as much as how I got to the point in life of being able to get one. A teachable moment in my mind. I gave him my 2 cent summary of what leads to financial success and he nodded. He told me what his dream car was and I told him its good to have aspirations and to follow them. It was refreshing to see some drive/motivation in our youth.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I find it an incredibly tactless to ask someone how much a car costs. Its akin to asking how much you make each year. A simple google search can easily answer the question if you really must know.

But in any case when I am asked that question I would just say something like "it can be expensive but its an amazing machine". Not dismissive but I wouldnt give a price.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts