Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently got a 718 Cayman S with PDK. I tried using the paddle shifters a few times and it was a lot of fun. I was wondering what’s the proper way to put it back into automatic mode. I did this by putting the stick into manual and then automatic, but that felt a bit stupid. Is that the official way do do this? Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you press a paddle to manually change in Auto mode, it will temperarily go to manual mode, but should return to auto mode after about 10 seconds if you stop shifting.

The way I use my car normally is to drive in Auto mode for general driving. I then press a paddle to enter manual mode on a nice road or to overtake. Then when I am done, I shift to a an appropriate gear for cruising away from my nice road and after about 10 seconds it will return to auto mode.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, good to know! I didn’t know it would automatically switch back to auto...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Ah, the manual describes using the paddles. I think that ten seconds rule can be overridden by how you are driving. For example if it thinks you want to slow it will hold a lower gear for engine braking. Sometimes when I use the paddles I wish it would shift differently. So I have shifted the stick to manual and back like you did. Usually I paddle it to the gear I really want and wait.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, I should have stated that it only seems to return to auto if you are driving "lightly". If you are still accellerating/braking hard, it seems to stay in manual mode. Also if you are not moving, it seems to hold whatever it was in when you were moving and then wait until you start moving again before changing to Auto if you are driving lightly.

I mostly drive in S mode. I find it does a pretty good job for me. Occasionally when I am cruising it will sit in a lower gear than I would choose and I just click up. Usually it then goes back to auto mode after 10 seconds and retains the gear I shifted to.. but will kick down very quickly if I give it some throttle.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
That's right. The transmission will revert to automatic on it's own, though I think we all wish there was a better way to switch back manually than to have to toggle the shifter.
Think of the 'other' guys who have to row the shifter... :LOL: :ROFLMAO::LOL: All kidding aside, it would be nice to have an M button on the wheel...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Whenever I read these threads (i've just read another elsewhere about software remaps to adjust PDK shift points in the various modes) I smile because it's not an issue for manual transmission users ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Whenever I read these threads (i've just read another elsewhere about software remaps to adjust PDK shift points in the various modes) I smile because it's not an issue for manual transmission users ;)
I knew there was that a few people still prefer a manual transmission! ;)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You mean it's always an issue with manual transmission owners, don't you?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I had a loaner today from the Porsche dealer that was performing an oil change on my car. The dealer group also owns Audi and BMW and are located together. The loaner was a BMW 640i. It had paddle shifters, so I thought I'd play around with them. I know it's not Porsche PDK, but nah, that system is not for me. BORING!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, I recently got a 718 Cayman S with PDK. I tried using the paddle shifters a few times and it was a lot of fun. I was wondering what’s the proper way to put it back into automatic mode. I did this by putting the stick into manual and then automatic, but that felt a bit stupid. Is that the official way do do this? Thanks!
When you are in automatic and you use the paddle shifters, your are overriding the PDK's gear determination. It will politely wait 10 seconds for you to come to your senses and, if you don't add any paddle or stick input, it will take over and put you in the gear it thinks you ought to be in... automatically.

If you are in automatic and you want to begin driving manually, that is, you want to shift the gears at your preferred RPM using the paddles or the stick or both, pull the stick to the left towards your leg. You are now in manual shift mode. Whatever gear you are in when you do that is your gear. The PDK will not attempt to shift for you from that point on unless you return the stick to Automatic. The ten second takeover will NOT happen when the stick is in manual.

I track my 718S (w/PDK) once or twice a month at Laguna Seca using the PDK in automatic mode. Why? Because PDK is few seconds faster every lap, than manually shifting. Seconds add up. The only time I use the paddles is when I up-shift to reduce exhaust and engine noise as I sneak by the infamous Laguna Seca sound microphone (If you break the sound limit, 90db, you are black flagged and have to leave the track). After I have gone by the microphone, I paddle down-shift and go hard to the next corner (6). So each lap, I do one upshift and one down shift with the paddles.

Coaches will tell you that every shift costs the average driver about one second. I cannot tell you how many shifts the PDK does for me each lap, but I can tell you that there are no one second loses. The gear selection is just amazing both decelerating and accelerating.

Pros will tell you that you use the brakes to slow the car, NOT the transmission. If you want to hot rod a bit around town, go ahead and use the engine to slow down, but really, that isn't the way it is done around the track. You shift to control RPMs you brake to control speed. Your engine and transmission, which are built to go not to stop, will thank you.

The only time you might want to downshift to slow the car, other than getting your ya yas out (which is entirely legitimate) is in a panic situation. Even then, you're probably better off with both hands on the wheel so you can concentrate on braking and steering away from trouble. Let the PDK pick the gear while your are spinning like a top! When you go to the track and you hear those downshifts before the corners, those drivers aren't trying to slow the car so much as to get the car in the right gear to come out of the corner as hot as possible.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I heartily suggest that you run the car in Sport. Then you won't be in such need to use the paddles. If you are not in Sport, this car is a complete dog. PDK shifts in normal mode for gas mileage and not performance. So in normal, you have to shift it manually. Admittedly, I use the paddles around town when I am feeling a little frisky, but that's perhaps 5% of the time. I will say that normal gas mileage is impressive. Yesterday on the level, 35-mile drive to the track (all highway at 65) I got 34mph on cruise control.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Coaches will tell you that every shift costs the average driver about one second.
That is clearly inaccurate. You would lose very little time shifting in a manual. During the shift when you are off the power you are still coasting at high speed. You might lose a few kph at the end of the straights with a manual compared to PDK.

I think it is clear from Porsche performance numbers that the PDK is quicker for 0-100, quarter mile etc. But at a race track where you get to high speed and don't do gear shifts at low speed, it would be well under a second difference a lap between a good drive in manual over the same driver in PDK.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You mean it's always an issue with manual transmission owners, don't you?
No, I don't mean that at all. The issue that I (and others) are referring to, is when there is a disconnect between what the PDK gearbox does or anticipates and what the driver expects or wants it to do. For e.g.

"Sometimes when I use the paddles I wish it would shift differently"

"Occasionally when I am cruising it will sit in a lower gear than I would choose..."

This never happens to me, with a manual gearbox I am the one making those decisions not the gearbox. So there is no disconnect, there is no issue. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
That is clearly inaccurate. You would lose very little time shifting in a manual. During the shift when you are off the power you are still coasting at high speed. You might lose a few kph at the end of the straights with a manual compared to PDK.

I think it is clear from Porsche performance numbers that the PDK is quicker for 0-100, quarter mile etc. But at a race track where you get to high speed and don't do gear shifts at low speed, it would be well under a second difference a lap between a good drive in manual over the same driver in PDK.
Thanks for your insights.
I got that statistic from David Ray (founder of Hooked on Driving) and Ross Bentley at a track "down load seminar" after a track session at Thunderhill. I will take both of these guys at their word. They recommend shifting as few times as possible, letting the car run out rather than always trying to be at the highest point of the torque curve. It was at the same meeting that they concurred about the one second loss per shift. As David said, "It might feel faster, but your times can actually be slower." So, I am suggesting that you try this out the next time you track. Best regards, Pinocchio.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
When you are in automatic and you use the paddle shifters, your are overriding the PDK's gear determination. It will politely wait 10 seconds for you to come to your senses and, if you don't add any paddle or stick input, it will take over and put you in the gear it thinks you ought to be in... automatically.
This is wrong and foments the attitude that the 'automatic' is disconnected from the driver. It is totally disconnected from the truth.

Do you want proof?

Cruise, say at 65 and 5th gear.

Pull the left paddle.

You are in 4th.

After 3 seconds floor it.

The PDK will follow your lead and kick down. No waiting for any senses.

Another example. On a long downhill with switchbacks.

Downshift and then roll with the turns without hitting the gas. The PDK will keep the low gear for hours, as long as you don't step on the gas. No waiting for anyone for any comings and goings of nonsense...

There is a different connection between the PDK and your driving style, not the simple minded relationship the stick users have with their gearbox/motor. You start learning this and the horizons that open are amazing, even in your everyday driving.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for your insights.
I got that statistic from David Ray (founder of Hooked on Driving) and Ross Bentley at a track "down load seminar" after a track session at Thunderhill. I will take both of these guys at their word. They recommend shifting as few times as possible, letting the car run out rather than always trying to be at the highest point of the torque curve. It was at the same meeting that they concurred about the one second loss per shift. As David said, "It might feel faster, but your times can actually be slower." So, I am suggesting that you try this out the next time you track. Best regards, Pinocchio.
I think you are misunderstanding what they are saying. It probably takes some manual transmission drivers about one second to do a gear change..... but it does not "cost" them one second off their lap time. I do agree that shifting into low gears in corners is not desired and probably loses time. Driving out of a corner in a lower gear on torque is much easier to be smooth with the torque delivery so you don't unsettle the car.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've been meaning to reply to this for several days but I lost so much time shifting that I couldn't manage it until now.😆

It is quite believable that a shift can "cost a second". The shift itself doesn't take that long, and as you say, you aren't off power for a second if you shift quickly. But that's not where the time is lost. "Coasting at high speed" means you aren't gaining or maintaining speed, but rather, losing it. The distance lost, which is to say the displacement difference between the trajectories of shifting and not shifting, is the integral of the speed over the time interval until you are forced to brake. As you accelerate out of that shift you are starting from a slightly lower velocity. Integrate that over, say a half mile, even assuming that both cars are accelerating about the same, and you can get around a second.

To put some numbers to it, the difference in travel time between 60mph and 63mph over half a mile is 1.43sec. It would obviously be more over a longer distance or at lower speeds, less over a shorter distance or at higher speeds. And of course your speed would not stay at 60, but both cars would be accelerating so the speed differential would not vary much over that interval. The question then is whether the greater acceleration in the gear after the shift is enough to make up the difference. Unless the power was quite a bit better in the new gear, not really.

So it is quite possible that the net loss from the shift could be on the order of a second.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts