Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im shopping for my next daily driver and have narrowed it down to a 718 T or S, a C8 HTC or a 4 cylinder AMG Emira. I’m on hold for many months as I wait to test drive the Emira. I’m active on all three boards and there’s been really interesting Emira test drive reviews posted recently as the demo cars tour Europe and here.
Anyhow, a big p car guy wrote a great in-depth review of the manual V6 Emira (he loved it) and told us he has tons of seat time in the 4 cylinder 718s. So I asked this very qualified guy ‘should I buy a PDK 4 cylinder 718 (budget $80k) or the 4 cylinder AMG DCT Emira?”
this is what he wrote:

“I've driven quite a few 718 2.0 and 2.5s, never the 4.0 GTS. The turbo flat 4s in the cayman/ boxster are a royal pile of crap haha. They heavily, heavily detract from the experience. Very quick, very capable. But entirely lifeless. Arguably sound bad. Don't expect subaru flat 4 warble. It sounds almost 2.0l diesel ford transit van-like. It's also an incredibly boosty, laggy engine.”

I love the T and it’s my close fav of my 3 choices but this gives me doubts. Tell me the flat 4 is not a royal pile. I’d add AWE muffler and JB4.
thx the rick

·
Registered
541 Posts
I assume you haven't been hacked, and this is really you. With 404 posts I also assume you already have a 718.

But I'll take your bait- and as an owner of an Elise, I say buy the Emira.
It's weird you said that. I'm just now reading this thread on my laptop, and I got a warning from my security software that it blocked a suspicious connection. Also, before I could finish this post the first time, the thread locked up.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,262 Posts
Strange question to ask on a board where the majority own a Turbo 4 718. If you read through even a sprinkling of posts, it will become clear that complaints are few and satisfaction near universal. I am skeptical that the "qualified guy" has actually driven one. If he is for real, he is in a very small minority.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A local guy I know has a '14 Cayman S - 6M - he's been on the list for an Emira (V6 / manual) and the demo cars toured through the area and he got to try it out

His wife likes the Cayman so much (he was planning on selling it) - they're going to sell her '22 BMW Z4 instead and keep the Cayman in addition to having the Emira

·
Registered
617 Posts
Im shopping for my next daily driver and have narrowed it down to a 718 T or S, a C8 HTC or a 4 cylinder AMG Emira. I’m on hold for many months as I wait to test drive the Emira. I’m active on all three boards and there’s been really interesting Emira test drive reviews posted recently as the demo cars tour Europe and here.
Anyhow, a big p car guy wrote a great in-depth review of the manual V6 Emira (he loved it) and told us he has tons of seat time in the 4 cylinder 718s. So I asked this very qualified guy ‘should I buy a PDK 4 cylinder 718 (budget $80k) or the 4 cylinder AMG DCT Emira?”
this is what he wrote:

“I've driven quite a few 718 2.0 and 2.5s, never the 4.0 GTS. The turbo flat 4s in the cayman/ boxster are a royal pile of crap haha. They heavily, heavily detract from the experience. Very quick, very capable. But entirely lifeless. Arguably sound bad. Don't expect subaru flat 4 warble. It sounds almost 2.0l diesel ford transit van-like. It's also an incredibly boosty, laggy engine.”

I love the T and it’s my close fav of my 3 choices but this gives me doubts. Tell me the flat 4 is not a royal pile. I’d add AWE muffler and JB4.
thx the rick
It depends. If you are a Porsche zealot, then you might agree with him because this seems to be a common opinion among Porsche zealots, sadly. I can only speak for me as someone that recently went through this whole exercise myself. I started out AGAINST the turbo 4 because I wanted the NA sound and power delivery. However, I am not a Porsche zealot, I am a car zealot. I approach cars like I approach the ladies....some guys like asian girls, some guys like blondes, some like brunettes, some like small, some tall and they have their "type." My type is HOT. If they are hot and have a nice personality, that is my type. The same applies to cars. I like a car that is focused, light, cool and has the purest driving experience and is best of breed. I don't buy all in one printers, I buy a really good printer and a really good scanner instead of a half-assed all-in one. So you can see I am not a fan of the Panameras or Macans etc. they are just All-in one copier/fax/printers. 911s all really sound like crap to me, they always have. Maybe at full song, they sound good but you mentioned daily driving. Just tooling around town all porsche flat motors sound bad to me. They are tinny, metallic and all harken back to beetle motors so I am not in love with the sound of any of them. So I started out closed-minded like everyone else but when I went to get a Cayman 4.0, they had a stop-order due to rod issues and they weren't making any of them. I wanted new because the majority of Porsche people have also been snowed into believing that break-in is not good for the car and most don't do it.

As I started to look I saw a Boxster T for the first time and it was HOT. The unique wheel color, decal, headlights were stunning and it made me walk toward it. Then as I approached my eyes were pierced by what I never thought I would see in a modern Porsche. Cloth seats! Living in SoCal and being an avid autocrosser in a previous life and loving ultra functional things, nothing says hard core and functional in 2022 than cloth seats. I fell in love. I began to research the T and decided that it had earned the right to be test driven based on the cloth seats, coming standard with LSD and top street sport suspension. It had the holy trinity of lsd, cloth and sport suspension. The first time I started it up, I did not like the start up and it lasted about 10 seconds, then it settled into a very pleasing warble. I felt both my ears to make sure blood was not coming out because after reading what I now feel are imbecile comments like what you posted, that there would be blood coming out of my ears. I was also concerned about the 20mm drop and not being able to get it into my steep garage driveway and so I asked if I could take the demo cayman to my house 30 minutes away to make sure it clears the driveway. So I drove that Cayman T for one hour back to my house and it cleared the driveway at an angled approach and back. On the way back I felt like a divorcee that was sure would never feel love again and completely crazy in love again. I remember having that feeling like when I bought my first new car, a 1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R.

I then suddenly realized I had a new issue. The turbo 4s were in contention, but what about the S..It has more power. So I test drove the S. It also had less torque down low but when driven side by side, it would recover a bit quicker than the 2.0L. So I began to configure an S with all the T options, except you actually can't. You can't get the titanium grey wheels, the T stripe and offset mirrors. You couldn't get the GT4 short shifter, not even in the GTS. You couldn't get the all black interior trim, titanium grey badges and by the time you added all the options incluidng the amazing looking all black headlights, it was almost GTS money, again without all the all important to me cloth seats. Furthermore that T felt special. It felt like a weird configuration only real die-hards would get like a 90s LS Camaro with aluminum driveshaft and body panels. It just was special. So it became the T for me. For full disclosure, if the 2.5 was an option for the T, I would've checked it, but when I had to choose between a loaded 2.5 S or the T, I went with the T. It is what I think a Porsche should be. The 911 now feels like a Nissan GTR competitor and does nothing for me. Seeing a 911 nowadays is like seeing the Mona Lisa at the Louvre.....Ok, I saw it, next.

For me, a low option (for weight savings) T is what old school people think a "Porsche" is. The portion distortion that has happened over the decades with so many thinking an M3 should be a gadget filled 3600 lb car or a 911 should be as big, wide and frankly uninspiring looking. I know all of this is blasphemous to the Porsche cognoscenti, but you asked for input and here it is. I spent my money on a 2022 Cayman T manual, not because I wanted a 911 and couldn't afford one as they like to say or frankly as some do, but because the Cayman to is the $HIT. It is not the fastest but neither were 911s back in the day, the real 911s were not faster than american muscle cars but when the road got curvy, it was game over. The dynamics in the T are frankly amazing. It takes some practice to launch it correctly due to low torque, but because I wanted a manual, I love the skill required and challenge. The 2L probably works better with the automatic as you are wanting but with that said, since you are already wanting an automatic, that waters down what the T is so I think the 2.5 would be better for you. Yes, I have drunk the T kool aid and adding automatic and adding unnecessary weight like the 18 ways etc water it down so you might as well get the extra power in the 2.5 S.

I am 9 months into my T ownership and the love has only grown as I have mastered the clutch engagement, explored 7000 rpm and find that the tone from this motor is not sweet as the zealots point out but it is an angry tone, more gruff and I LIKE IT. It doesn't need an exhaust but I also like you had similar thoughts. Once I decided on the T, I felt the brakes looked small in the 20" wheels and was already researching swapping the disks. However, now that I have driven it, I find the brakes amazing. They are best OE brakes I have ever driven with perfect modulation and cold bite. They no longer seem small in my mind's eye since they are so freakin' good. If someone had a brand new set of takeoff calipers for cheap, I might still do it, but only for aesthetic reasons because the modulation is frankly perfect to me.

So as you suspected, the guy is not really being semi objective in his description but as an owner of turbo motor, you will hear that over and over again and you have to be OK dealing with the zealots. My own salesman recently disparaged the turbo motors in front of me when someone was talking about a 911T but I am used to dealing with this. I owned two BMW 1M Coupes, which were constantly being disparaged by the M owners as not having a real M motor, not having the automatic option or active suspension and from the 135 guys as just being a 135i with a tune. All of which was bunk. The 1M was a significantly different car than the 135i and the 1M was built out of love by M guys as a weekend project because THEY felt that M cars had gotten too fat and GT car-ish like the new 911s. That is how I feel the T is. American's don't get it, but guys at Porsche put this together as a labor of love. Sadly like the 1M that you could bloat, they let you bloat the T as well.

So I hope that helps you. Again, I know I am the outlier but sometimes people just want to hear the other side. Well here is the other side. best wishes.

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
1,168 Posts
Why not. So far the early deliveries have only seen wet boots and a passenger for that won’t open.
so based on historical fact, lotus fail on every account in delivering what really should be a very good car.
new one certainly looks the part, but compared with what I have, power and performance is down.
am I a Porsche zealot- maybe, I do not apologise for this is anyway but would I trade or shift from what I have to the lotus, it’s a no from me And why should I ?
I have what I personally believe is an absolutely fantastic car in all respects, a daily and reliable car which I tbh adore. Lotus May give that to you for a short time but honestly do believe I will be waiting at a roadside with it if I did - and more than once.
this in the end a 718 forum, not a Lotus appreciation society 😎

·
Registered
617 Posts
so based on historical fact, lotus fail on every account in delivering what really should be a very good car.
new one certainly looks the part, but compared with what I have, power and performance is down.
am I a Porsche zealot- maybe, I do not apologise for this is anyway but would I trade or shift from what I have to the lotus, it’s a no from me And why should I ?
I have what I personally believe is an absolutely fantastic car in all respects, a daily and reliable car which I tbh adore. Lotus May give that to you for a short time but honestly do believe I will be waiting at a roadside with it if I did - and more than once.
this in the end a 718 forum, not a Lotus appreciation society 😎
I agree, based on the poster wanting automatic and if the poster doesn't mind the all digital dash, the Lotus is stunning to look at and would be a great choice! As I said, I am a car appreciator...any cool car and I do apologize for not being a Porsche zealot and I am grateful to be be allowed on here. : )

1 - 20 of 96 Posts