Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,277 Posts
Hahahaha!

Hey we are about to celebrate Thanksgiving here in the USA. So I cannot think of a better occasion to give thanks and appreciation for respectful discussions and debate with people that have car preferences different than mine: PDK, Black paint, Amber sidelights included. I can even give a thumbs up to Sport Seats Plus or 18 ways. (y)

Cheers and happy Thanksgiving, whatever your country flag happens to be. :)
So you aren't coming with a sharp knife as a result of my drilled bumper? I can return the Dobermans?

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. May the air be filled with footballs. The oval type, not those currently being kicked around in the Persian Gulf.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a Boxster 2.5S manual with PSE. Top up there is not much sound from the engine at all. Top down it has a very nice baritone bark all through the midrange. I love it. I have disconnected the sounddaktor.

Above 2000rpm turbo lag is not noticeable, at least to me. Getting a GTS4.0 would cost me double what I paid for my S. I do not see 2x the experience.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You know your trans and motor aren’t covered, right? lol
It depends on what the issue is. I have a Cobb tune on my Macan and had an engine oil leak and transfer case covered under warranty. I've had various ECU tunes and exhaust modifications on previous cars that had various mechanical issues covered under warranty as well. My experience is first hand. If I had a turbo fail and my service advisor can show that my downpipe caused it or even if it was inconclusive, I would accept personal responsibility under pay to play.

Reactions: PeC and lion shf

·
Registered
113 Posts
"Royal pile of crap".

That's just nonsense, and completely eliminates any credibility.

I'm not as convinced it's a future classic like some folks on here like to claim, but the 4 cylinder does not "detract from the experience". It's a solid engine in one of the best chassis ever built. Any 718 is a fantastic drive.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I know I voided my warranty when I went is38 etc on my TT:)
Did you actually try to make a claim on something and was told "too bad" by an advisor and if so, what was the claim? Audi and VW are much stricter with TD1 flagging cars because too many of their owners mess stuff up and then try to fight dealerships to get coverage. I had a GTI for 7 years and still have a RS5 that is going on 10 years so I'm very familiar with that community. I still had various mechanical issues on my GTI covered under warranty despite my many modifications on it. Biggest one was rear main seal replacement which I frankly was surprised by but I guess my advisor saw no reason to associate the leak to any of my specific modifications. I was fully ready to suck that one up. It was still a stock turbo though.

·
Registered
'18 718 CS, Pdk, Night Blue met. Agate grey int. 14 way H/V seats20" Carrera, PSE, PrmPkg
188 Posts
Sorry guys, not a troll. Do you like your 4s or not?
Yes I do.

I read that post on the Emira board as well.
It was quite an extreme opinion, but at least was clearly stated.
Not sure copying it here had the desired result, but getting some feedback.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Went through the same dilemma when replacing my wrecked cayman S. Was between a S63, AMg gts, C8 vette or cayman/boxster S. Went with boxster s. They are just different cars for different owners. A vette is a vette. It has no soul and is associated with old dudes wearing jorts and sandals. Super car numbers but it’s still a corvette. The Mercedes are quality but nothing drives like a Porsche. They just handle and drive so good. I am not a fan of the seats in a Porsche but everything else I love about them.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
526 Posts
I'm not as convinced it's a future classic like some folks on here like to claim, but the 4 cylinder does not "detract from the experience". It's a solid engine in one of the best chassis ever built. Any 718 is a fantastic drive.
Good summary, here. I'm in total agreement.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
"Royal pile of crap".

That's just nonsense, and completely eliminates any credibility.

This is what I want to hear.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
A vette is a vette. It has no soul and is associated with old dudes wearing jorts and sandals.

I gotta tell you, the hour I spent in the C8 (2 diff test drives) I really loved. But they hate me over on c8 forum, too rowdy and I’m 59 lol
ive found the emira forum people super fun and chill.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Did you actually try to make a claim on something and was told "too bad" by an advisor and if so, what was the claim? Audi and VW are much stricter with TD1 flagging cars because too many of their owners mess stuff up and then try to fight dealerships to get coverage. I had a GTI for 7 years and still have a RS5 that is going on 10 years so I'm very familiar with that community. I still had various mechanical issues on my GTI covered under warranty despite my many modifications on it. Biggest one was rear main seal replacement which I frankly was surprised by but I guess my advisor saw no reason to associate the leak to any of my specific modifications. I was fully ready to suck that one up. It was still a stock turbo though.
‘yeah me n my sons all have vags not a warranty between us:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2018 718 Cayman GTS - PDK APR Track Exhaust
138 Posts
Is your car out of warranty? Would the exhaust void it?
Im out of factory, but still under the extended. The APR exhaust shouldnt be an issue. Possibly the high flow cat, but Im not getting any CELs. The claim is about 15hp increase. And it does feels a little different when it pulls. The turbo seems to spool faster. It still cleans the emissions. It was only a 3 hour job with my teen son. Would go a lot quicker now having done it once if I needed to go back. I'm keeping the factory and could put it back if I had an issue.

The tune would most likely void the extended. But the extended was expensive and Im thinking about calling in and voiding it for a pro rated refund if I do tune it. However, as is, it's already a little scary on the edges. Not sure I really need more..... at least until I get used to the current feel.

·
Registered
2017 Cayman Base | Jet Black Metallic | Sport Chrono | 20" Carrera S Wheels
265 Posts
I was considering the 718, C8 and a widebody Charger. I found an incredible deal on a 2.0L Base well optioned and pulled the trigger.

After a few months of ownership I’ll put it this way: I make excuses to drive this car, take the longer coast route to and from the office and legitimately miss it when I’m out of town.

I’ve pulled up next to C8s and Chargers and had ZERO buyer’s remorse. This is - hands down - the funnest car I’ve ever driven. Perfect? Nope. Does it handle like a go kart and make you smile when you push it? Yep!

Bonus: might be the best looking 2-door under $200k.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My apologies...

Executive Summary: The Turbo motors are great and the expert is full of $HIT. : )
No apology necessary.
Your post was coherent and informative.
Not that it matters, but I agree with your philosophy. A sports car should be LIGHT and of course have cloth seats. Leather is slippery, too hot is Summer and too cold in Winter.
Those who sneer at the 4-cylinder engines forget (or don't know) that many Porsche cars have had flat-four engines down through the years. Subaru keep trying to imitate the sound of a Porsche flat-four.
My 718 will be a 2.0l Cayman with cloth seats and a bare minimum of options. Porsches are for driving, not admiring.

41 - 60 of 166 Posts