Porsche 718 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a Porsche guy since 2015. My 2006 Cayman S manual is my first buy. It is an amazing naturally aspirated flat six. Started out that way at 59500 miles. Lots of mods and track time. 50 days on track. This car is so fun and fast on the track it has helped to make me a better driver. I drive at 8 tenths max even with very sticky tires. The engine blew at at 97134 miles due to oil starvation in cylinder 6. Replaced it with a small 3.8 L upgrade, track ready. Pulling 358 HP at the crank. Very fast now down the straights and out of slow corners. Love driving this car. This year in April got the bug to buy a 2019 Cayman GTS 2.5L turbo PDK. I am telling you all , this GTS is amazing. Acceleration with the turbo boost is over the top...it is a bullet. Micro lag a non issue. The PDK is so smooth and precise I am stomping on it constantly just to feel the shifts. It is just as impressive sound wise in sport as my flat 6 with no cats. Unplugged the soudacator, the car just does not need it. I have no idea where some Porsche people think it sounds like a Suburu...I guess they never drove a Suburu!!!! The GTS handles like a dream. I live in a twisty, turny, and hilly place and the Cayman GTS is so stable and responsive. The GT3 I drove on the same roads had nothing over the GTS 2.5 L turbo PDK. I do love driving both the 2006 CS manual and the 2019 GTS PDK. 358 vs 365 HP. Buy one. My 10 cents.
Eddie

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have no idea where some Porsche people think it sounds like a Suburu...I guess they never drove a Suburu!!!!
That's because it's the same click-baity emotion inducing jab that everyone likes to parrot. I actually owned a Subaru with a 2.5L turbo flat four and high flow downpipe. And now my Cayman is also a 2.5L turbo flat four with a high flow downpipe. They don't sound the same at all. Yes, of course they share some auditory characteristics like every V8 shares some auditory characteristics. Personally, I like how flat fours rumble just like they did in early Porsches and how they do in the modern Boxsters and Caymans. So for these people to say it sounds like a Subaru as an insult is just snobbery when Porsches employed flat fours way before Subaru ever did. I still enjoy the Porsche flat six wail when it zings over 5000 rpm. At the end of the day, I appreciate many different cars for their different attributes.

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster T
262 Posts
Why anyone would spend $100K + on a 2L turbo if they didn't like them is hard for me to comprehend. Seems to me everyone here voted with their wallets. I personally love 2L turbos - it's a great format, I have them in a couple of other cars and I can tell you the one in the 718s are stellar.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Why anyone would spend $100K + on a 2L turbo if they didn't like them is hard for me to comprehend. Seems to me everyone here voted with their wallets. I personally love 2L turbos - it's a great format, I have them in a couple of other cars and I can tell you the one in the 718s are stellar.
Here’s my 4 (for now :cool:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Old post but it came up as being recently hit and figured I’d throw another opinion on top of the pile. Guy probably has his car by now and the 718 is almost through it’s lifecycle lol.

Let me start with, I have never driven the 6cyl cayman. I have heard it in reviews and there is no doubt it is a better sounding engine.

With that out of the way,
I’m coming from the turbo I6 B58 in a 2018 340ix, well recognized as a fantastic engine, and it was for me. It had very little lag and was very fast (for me). Now that it’s pretty easy to get 3-4s 0-60, everything is perhaps too fast. A Tesla smokes everything. Speed is conquered.

In my opinion, the turbo flat 4 is pretty good (for what it is). It has good torque imo. I never would have considered a 4cyl car before I drove the cayman 2.0, but in reality it is only down 20hp (on paper) from the 6cyl B58. More than likely it’s a bit more since BMW underrated those engines by a healthy margin. But, it is fair to say that this car still moves quick. It’s a significantly less heavy car than a 3 series as well so all the more. (3710lb to 3034lb).

2.0L is obviously not a race car sound, but when you get it up into the 4-6k rpm range it’s not wholly unpleasant either. But I am weird. I don’t dislike the low bass sound of turbo engines. They do not sound anywhere near as good as a high rev’g nat aspirated and never will, but I don’t hate them for what they are.

All that being said, If a 6cyl cayman was available to me to buy, I would have and I recommend you do as well if it’s available, because that sound is awesome.
On the matter of power, the turbo 4 is dialed in for the road. It’s not lacking for power. On a track it probably is lacking but a road, no. If you are buying this car for back road fun I don’t think you’ll be unhappy with a 4cyl turbo. If you are buying for track or for “Mexico” runs then I think you want the 6.

The sound deficit is real compared to a nat aspirated 6cyl, and I would go with a 6cyl if available just for that alone. But, if you don’t care about that or the t4 is all you can find, then I don’t see any other issue with the t4.

I will probably keep this car a long time, sound and all.

sorry, have no other relevant experience related to the cars in your post.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
the 2.0 L turbo in the Boxster T which my build is really close to 3000 lbs flat (supposedly) hauls ass without breaking 4500 rpm.

I am in break-in period and dont full throttle and dont pop it more than that for a second. If one lets it rip, im certain one would see some serious ****. The gearshift, the lightness, the low low center of gravity of the 20mm SPASM, it just all works to create some road fun. On a track? Who cares? how much f'n time does one spend on a track?

·
Registered
Flat-6 Silver Sled
137 Posts
@lion shf, dude.... it's a Porsche, period end dot. They make amazing machines and the 718 4-bangers are no exception. There are lots of opinions out there, but the only one that matters about the car you choose to put under your butt is yours. Go drive one and see for yourself. I can tell you between the three cars you listed there are no bad choices, they are all epic cars in their own right, just comes down to personal preference. This from a guy who owns, drives and tracks an NA flat six 4.0 (718), a turbo flat 2.5 (STI), an NA flat 2.0 (BRZ) and an NA in-line 1.8 (Elise). All amazing driving experiences, uniquely different and super fun to smash the right peddle with my size 11. If I had to chose between just one car over all my years of driving experience, it's always going to be Porsche. Yes, they are that good.

·
Registered
718 Boxster GTS 4.0
100 Posts
Im shopping for my next daily driver and have narrowed it down to a 718 T or S, a C8 HTC or a 4 cylinder AMG Emira. I’m on hold for many months as I wait to test drive the Emira. I’m active on all three boards and there’s been really interesting Emira test drive reviews posted recently as the demo cars tour Europe and here.
Anyhow, a big p car guy wrote a great in-depth review of the manual V6 Emira (he loved it) and told us he has tons of seat time in the 4 cylinder 718s. So I asked this very qualified guy ‘should I buy a PDK 4 cylinder 718 (budget $80k) or the 4 cylinder AMG DCT Emira?”
this is what he wrote:

“I've driven quite a few 718 2.0 and 2.5s, never the 4.0 GTS. The turbo flat 4s in the cayman/ boxster are a royal pile of crap haha. They heavily, heavily detract from the experience. Very quick, very capable. But entirely lifeless. Arguably sound bad. Don't expect subaru flat 4 warble. It sounds almost 2.0l diesel ford transit van-like. It's also an incredibly boosty, laggy engine.”

I love the T and it’s my close fav of my 3 choices but this gives me doubts. Tell me the flat 4 is not a royal pile. I’d add AWE muffler and JB4.
thx the rick
Late to join the party, but here's my take.
I've had the 2.5S and I have the 4.0GTS.
Both superb cars, different engines, but that doesn't make the 4 cylinders a pile of crap.
True, the turbo is a bit laggy and quieter than the 4.0, and I do agree that the 4 cylinders is more clinical vs the 6 cylinders rougher around the edges.
Whether you like one better than the other it's purely down to you.
I ride Italian twin cylinders, I prefer rougher, but I did find the turbos perfectly enjoyable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As turbo engines go, the 2.5 four has very, very little lag.
The 4.0L six is exceptionally free to rev and has a lightning fast throttle response.
The 4.8L V8 in my Morgan isn't, the 2.5L four is faster in every way.
The AMG 3.0L twin turbo V6 is mid way between, faster than the V8, slower than the flat four.
I find the 2.5L flat 4 turbo to be optimal for real road driving: I'm sure the 6 is better for track days, but I don't go there anymore.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Just got a call from my salesman. Driving the V6 6 speed Emira in Philly Saturday! The car will be at the Main Line P car pre owned building (now the Lotus shop) if you’re interested in seeing the car.

·
Registered
Flat-6 Silver Sled
137 Posts
Just got a call from my salesman. Driving the V6 6 speed Emira in Philly Saturday! The car will be at the Main Line P car pre owned building (now the Lotus shop) if you’re interested in seeing the car.
Throwing a monkey wrench into your plan. You really need to take a test drive in an Evora as well. Same SC V6 engine, both have hydraulic steering (!!!!) and Emira release has brought down Evora prices back down below the 2020/1 madness. And imo, the Evora is a way better looking car. I haven't drove one but sat in one and the cockpit was on par with anything in the $100k range.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Throwing a monkey wrench into your plan. You really need to take a test drive in an Evora as well. Same SC V6 engine, both have hydraulic steering (!!!!) and Emira release has brought down Evora prices back down below the 2020/1 madness. And imo, the Evora is a way better looking car. I haven't drove one but sat in one and the cockpit was on par with anything in the $100k range.
Drove a 400 last summer. After 10k miles, it looked ragged out even thru it’s detail. The drivers window was sticking up 1/2 inch (I drive windows down lots and like my elbow out) coming from a TT I can’t stomach crap engineering in my daily. How freaking hard is it to design and install a proper operating car window?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Boxster S w/ 2.5 litre 4-cyl. tbh it sounds a bit like one of those old tractors when running idle, especially when you have the top opened or are standing outside the car. Apart from that everything's fantastic. I think it even stands a chance against the 4.0 6-cyl on the GTS as this 2.5T can produce enormous amount of torque at low revs whereas the 4.0 has to maintain high revs to outrun the 2.5T. (Only tested this once with a GTS owner and may be inconclusive)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
this is what he wrote:

“I've driven quite a few 718 2.0 and 2.5s, never the 4.0 GTS. The turbo flat 4s in the cayman/ boxster are a royal pile of crap haha. They heavily, heavily detract from the experience. Very quick, very capable. But entirely lifeless. Arguably sound bad. Don't expect subaru flat 4 warble. It sounds almost 2.0l diesel ford transit van-like. It's also an incredibly boosty, laggy engine.”
I'd question the validity of anything this guy says, clearly he drank the youtube "flat'n 4 turbo be'n badz" cool aid. I've noticed a trend where now they're claiming it actually sounds good! They've never claimed it wasn't good or lacked power, they all jumped on the bandwagon of hate for the sake of clicks.

If one was so inclined to go through my previous posts from almost two years ago, you'll find that I've always blamed the you tubers for the flat 4 hate. I also stated eventually they would come around when these cars fell out of warranty and getting modified. It's my opinion that a modified Flat 4 Turbo car has huge untapped potential!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I have a Boxster S w/ 2.5 litre 4-cyl. tbh it sounds a bit like one of those old tractors when running idle, especially when you have the top opened or are standing outside the car. Apart from that everything's fantastic. I think it even stands a chance against the 4.0 6-cyl on the GTS as this 2.5T can produce enormous amount of torque at low revs whereas the 4.0 has to maintain high revs to outrun the 2.5T. (Only tested this once with a GTS owner and may be inconclusive)
Having owned the 2.5GTS, 2.5S and a 718 GT4... around town and on a drag strip the turbo cars are quicker at the start but get reeled in on the top end, with final times pretty equal.

Side note: Want your turbo car to pull a little harder on the big end... add the GT4 side scoops! You'll thank me later!

81 - 100 of 166 Posts