Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to see the 718 get built and be a true performance car in the Porsche philosophy of automobiles. Where suspension/handling is the most important factor above huge HP numbers I believe this little roadster could be a huge success in the line-up. How would it compare to the others though? Do feel the 718 should compete with likes of the Cayman or 911 in overall track times? Should have it's own little niche where ride quality outweighs track performance?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't think that it will get quite the caliber of engines that the Cayman or 911 gets, but I do think that it will be lighter, which should mean that it is still laying down some pretty nice track times. I think they can make it pretty performance oriented. I want to feel the road underneath while driving instead of having a super soft and comfortable ride.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't think it should compete with the cayman or 911 when it comes to track times, although it's size and weight will help, i just don't think it will help them to have an entry-level model that has track times that come too close to their more expensive models .

·
Registered
61 Posts
I really want to see the 718 get built and be a true performance car in the Porsche philosophy of automobiles. Where suspension/handling is the most important factor above huge HP numbers I believe this little roadster could be a huge success in the line-up. How would it compare to the others though? Do feel the 718 should compete with likes of the Cayman or 911 in overall track times? Should have it's own little niche where ride quality outweighs track performance?
I think we already see Panner, Macan and Cayenne as the porsches that emphasize ride over performance.

What the 718 really has going for it, on paper at least, is the promise of immense corner speed, the kind that 911 may not be able to achieve with its wonky balance. OF course I have no clue :D

If its half as good as this we shold be pleased :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
improved cornering ability in the 718 is something to look out for in this.
at least if that's actually the case then it should be a bit quicker in the turns than the 911 but once it straightens out the 911 will just blow it's doors off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I love the classic 718. If I had the money, I would purchase a classic 718. It would be one way to get some looks driving down the street.

I don't think the new 718 will really compete with the other Porsches with track times. I think people that had more expensive models would be upset about that. It should still not disappoint though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love the classic 718. If I had the money, I would purchase a classic 718. It would be one way to get some looks driving down the street.

I don't think the new 718 will really compete with the other Porsches with track times. I think people that had more expensive models would be upset about that. It should still not disappoint though.
well good luck finding one, I'm not sure if you know this but they're BEYOND rare. They were race special adaptations of the old 550's

·
Registered
459 Posts

You're better off trying to find a 718 model car. Like mentioned above you're not going to find this and even if you do, there's no way you will ever be able to afford it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think I was pretty clear that I would buy it IF I had the money. I'm really not that serious about it. Didn't realize it was quite that rare, but that just makes it all the more desirable doesn't it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it will be all about power to weight ratios.

Yes it will have smaller engines than a boxer or 911 but the smaller engines will weigh a lot less. Cut out a load of the electronics, strip the interior a bit and I think will will match a boxer on the track.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think it will be all about power to weight ratios.

Yes it will have smaller engines than a boxer or 911 but the smaller engines will weigh a lot less. Cut out a load of the electronics, strip the interior a bit and I think will will match a boxer on the track.
Agreed, the electronics alone is an absurd amount of weight to cut just in wiring alone! I think on the right technical track the 718 will crush the boxster, its all about corner speed IMO :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Its crazy that the replica is really nice. He did a really good job. It's almost more impressive that the guy was able to make a replica. And the price is a lot more reasonable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
what will be interesting to see is when the 4 cyl and the Turbo 4 make their way into the Boxster/Cayman. Ok maybe thats an IF, but put the two on equal-ish footing and see what happens.

I think the purity will take the crown ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Do we have details on what the 4 will be capable of yet?
From what I have seen... not at all. It's going to be an all-new flat four enigne. I have yet to hear any further details about it, but it is something we can delve into here...as it is of course one of the most important things about the new 718.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts