Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well...suffice it to say we live in strange times. By way of background, I've been #1 on the allocation waiting list at our local Middle Tennessee Porsche dealer for a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 and 718 Spyder. I was placed on the Cayman GTS 4.0 allocation wait list in early November 2021, and was added to the Spyder allocation wait list in December 2021. I'm a returning customer at our dealer and I've known our CBA for some time. He's a long-time employee of the dealership with an amazing knowledge of the Porsche brand. I wasn't asked for a deposit in order to get placed on either allocation wait list. I've always had a favorable opinion of our dealership from top to bottom. They've taken very good care of us over the years.

I received a text yesterday, March 11, during lunch from my CBA asking if I was still interested in a Cayman GTS 4.0 allocation. I quickly responded “yes” and set up an appointment at the dealer for late yesterday afternoon. Frankly, I was somewhat taken aback by my CBA’s allocation offer given the ongoing Porsche HI-DRAMA caused by chip shortages, the Felicity Ace sinking, and more recently, the War in Ukraine and its severe impact on the Porsche parts supply chain. I’d been resigned to getting an allocation at the end of MY 2022, but more likely in MY 2023. I was actually just thankful to hear the rumor that Porsche had committed to building the ICE 718’s through MY 2023.

Upon arriving at the dealer my CBA told me that I’d pretty much won the lottery and had a choice between both a Cayman GTS 4.0 AND a Spyder allocation, each for a June 2022 build, as they’d received two 718 allocations yesterday. The GTS 4.0 allocation was offered at straight MSRP and the Spyder allocation was offered at MSRP + $5K. The truth be told, I would’ve been quite happy with either car however I chose the Spyder for a wide variety of reasons, not the least of which…MY WIFE LOVES THE SPYDER, and as the adage goes, “Happy wife, Happy home.” I paid a non-refundable $2,500 deposit for the allocation. And while I might've liked to have gotten the Spyder for straight MSRP, given the current Spyder market I suspected that simply wasn’t going to happen. A bird in the hand these days is worth a LOT.

With many thanks to the countless helpful people here on this forum, most of whom are MUCH smarter than myself in the Porsche realm, I built my dream Cayman GTS 4.0 and Spyder on the Configurator and had stored them on “My Porsche” ready to go for my CBA. Amazingly, despite all the options I’d selected for my Spyder build, and despite all the parts shortages we’ve heard about ad nauseam, the only issue that arose after my CBA entered the build in the Porsche NA system was the PCCB’s. I told my CBA I’m willing to accept any delay in order to get those brakes on my car. He’s going to talk to Porsche NA on Monday to sort that out. Apparently PCCB’s are becoming a common delay item. However the good news is nothing else arose as a conflict or problem…not the Burmester, not the leather, not the TPMS…there were ZERO other parts issues. Yes, that’ll probably change…however given the current parts shortages I was exceedingly pleased to see there were no additional issues. And you’ll all be pleased to know that I am perhaps THE first Porsche customer ever to have ordered the exclusive “Fuse Box Covers In Leather” option which is a crucial component of my build. For anybody that might be interested, my Spyder’s Porsche Code is PNVRAYC0.

Do I really expect my Spyder to get built in June 2022? Not to be cynical however, given all the current crises, NO I do not. I’ll get it whenever they're able to finish it. I’m just grateful to have gotten an allocation for a car that’s hopefully going to be built some time this year or maybe next year. I’ve posted a few configurator photos below of my build. The interior has Chalk extended deviated stitching which doesn’t appear in the Configurator interior photos with the 18-Way Sport Seats Plus option selected as I’ve done.

Maybe a ray of hope for everybody? Perhaps? Good luck and I truly hope you get the same unexpected call I got!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
898 Posts
Well...suffice it to say we live in strange times. By way of background, I've been #1 on the allocation waiting list at our local Middle Tennessee Porsche dealer for a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 and 718 Spyder. I was placed on the Cayman GTS 4.0 allocation wait list in early November 2021, and was added to the Spyder allocation wait list in December 2021. I'm a returning customer at our dealer and I've known our CBA for some time. He's a long-time employee of the dealership with an amazing knowledge of the Porsche brand. I wasn't asked for a deposit in order to get placed on either allocation wait list. I've always had a very favorable opinion of our dealership from top to bottom. They've taken very good care of us over the years.

I received a text yesterday, March 11, during lunch from my CBA asking if I was still interested in a Cayman GTS 4.0 allocation. I quickly responded “yes” and set up an appointment at the dealer for late yesterday afternoon. I was a bit taken back by my CBA’s allocation offer given the ongoing Porsche HI-DRAMA caused by chip shortages, the Felicity Ace sinking, and more recently, the War in Ukraine and its severe impact on the Porsche parts supply chain. I’d pretty much been resigned to getting an allocation at the end of MY 2022, but more likely in MY 2023. Heck, I was really just thankful to hear the rumor that Porsche had committed to building the ICE 718’s through MY 2023.

Upon arriving at the dealer my CBA told me that I’d pretty much won the lottery and had a choice between both a Cayman GTS 4.0 AND a Spyder allocation, each for a June 2022 build, as they’d received two 718 allocations yesterday. The GTS 4.0 allocation was offered at straight MSRP and the Spyder allocation was offered at MSRP + $5K. In reality I would’ve been quite happy with either car however I chose the Spyder for a wide variety of reasons, not the least of which…MY WIFE LOVES THE SPYDER, and as the adage goes, “Happy wife, Happy home.” I paid a non-refundable $2,500 deposit for the allocation. And while I’d like to have gotten the Spyder for straight MSRP, given the current Spyder market I pretty much knew that simply wasn’t going to happen. And a bird in the hand these days is worth a LOT.

With many thanks to the countless helpful people on this forum, most of whom are MUCH smarter than myself in the Porsche realm, I built my dream Cayman GTS 4.0 and Spyder on the Configurator and had stored them on “My Porsche” ready to go for my CBA. Amazingly, despite all the options I’d selected for my Spyder build and despite all the parts shortages we’ve heard about ad nauseam, the only issue that arose after my CBA entered the build in the Porsche NA system was the PCCB’s. I told my CBA I’m willing to accept any delay in order to get those brakes on my car. He’s going to talk to Porsche NA on Monday to sort that out. Apparently PCCB’s are becoming a common delay item. However the good news is nothing else arose as a conflict or problem…not the Burmester, not the leather, not the TPMS…there were ZERO other parts issues. Yes, that’ll probably change…however given the current parts shortages I was exceedingly pleased to see there were no additional issues. And you’ll all be pleased to know that I am perhaps THE first Porsche customer ever to have ordered the exclusive “Fuse Box Covers In Leather” option which is a crucial component of my build. For anybody that might be interested, my Spyder’s Porsche Code is PNVRAYCO.

Do I really expect my Spyder to get built in June 2022? Not to be cynical however, given all the current crises, NO I do not. I’ll get it whenever they're able to finish it. I’m just grateful to have gotten an allocation for a car that’s hopefully going to be built some time this year or maybe next year. I’ve posted a few configurator photos below of my build. The interior has Chalk extended deviated stitching which doesn’t appear in the Configurator photos with the 18-Way Sport Seats Plus option selected as I’ve done.

Maybe a ray of hope for everybody? Perhaps? Good luck and I truly hope you get the same unexpected call I got!

View attachment 39944 View attachment 39945 View attachment 39946
💪👊😉

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I‘m super happy for you. I know you’ve been waiting patiently for a while. How long is the delay for PCCB?

Btw, I can‘t wait to see pics of this fusebox cover! :D
Thanks. This was truly the last thing in the world I thought would happen after the past month of repeated bad news from Porsche.

Our CBA says Porsche NA will contact him ASAP regarding the PCCB's because they created a "V100 - Feasibility Check Failed" and accordingly Porsche can't proceed any further with my order without resolving it. He said Porsche should provide a guess regarding when the PCCB's will be available again. In any event I should have additional info early next week. This has apparently been a repeated issue with 911 Turbo S and 911 GT3 orders...all PCCB related.

And those Leather Fuse Box Covers will be EPIC I assure you!! Photos to follow...because no human has ever seen them!

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why is the deposit non-refundable?
That's my dealer's policy for build allocations. It's clearly stated in their paperwork. They've surrendered a valuable build allocation and committed to build a car to my unique specs. I guess I could refuse to pay it...but I wouldn't have an allocation.

The above said, I'm sure if something developed beyond my control they would gladly refund the "non-refundable" deposit. It wouldn't be worth it to them to create a bunch of ill will for a measly $2,500.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tried looking up the build....not showing up at PorscheUSA.com. Used PNVRAYCO, cut and paste. Would love to see the config. Perhaps you can post it??? Also a minor question...why the leather covered fuse box? Just looking to have a unicorn in a sort of oddball way?

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Tried looking up the build....not showing up at PorscheUSA.com. Used PNVRAYCO, cut and paste. Would love to see the config. Perhaps you can post it??? Also a minor question...why the leather covered fuse box? Just looking to have a unicorn in a sort of oddball way?
FoggyDaze...thanks...that was my error...my sincere apologies! The last digit of the code is the numeral "0" and not the letter "O" as I posted above. The correct code is PNVRAYC0. I'll correct that in my original post.

The “Fuse Box Covers In Leather” option has been an ongoing joke on the forum...so I decided to actually order them. Better yet, I discovered that because I ordered the "Extended Deviated Stitching" option, the “Fuse Box Covers In Leather” option will be completed in the Chalk deviated stitching I selected. Is life good or WHAT!? I'm not certain "unicorn in a sort of oddball way" is entirely accurate. I may be wrong however I personally believe "EPIC" might be more appropriate. I've clearly started something BIG here. OK...just sayin'.

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Very good news indeed.

Here in Australia a "non-refundable deposit" only means that you can't get it back if YOU change your mind. If the company can't deliver, or deliver on time, then the deposit will be refunded.

·
Registered
2022 718 Boxster PDK aventuringrün PASM
83 Posts
Just a thought: Maybe Porsche is reallocating a few orders from Russia. I know it won’t be that many as 4x4 are the thing in Eastern Europe but still. And redirecting those cars to the US market is most logical, given the recent USD/EUR rates. And regarding the likely fallout from the war in other European countries. Btw Porsche Ukraine is still listing 2 used 718 on their website. The location is near Kyiv Boryspil airport KBP on the main motorway to Kyiv, passed it by a dozen of times. Hope they’re and will be safe. My thoughts go out to all the courageous people of Ukraine.
Motor vehicle Product Yellow Font Line

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a very interesting thought. I wonder if the Russians have been indiscriminately shelling the several auto parts manufacturing facilities in western Ukraine along with the military facilities?

1 - 20 of 122 Posts