Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 2 weeks since I picked up my brand new base 718 cayman with manual transmission. I'm still scared stop and go...

I've been driving manual transmission for 10 years, all of the car were low power natural engine (no turbo).
I usually connect clutch around 2000rpm, then car start moving slowly. No issue at all.

However, when I do same thing in my 718 cayman, car start very fast since 2000rpm is maximum torque!! I'm so scared.
I also tried to connect clutch around 1000rpm, then engine stops very easily.
Best thing might be connecting clutch around 1500rpm. But, this is not easy though I'm trying to press pedal slowly...

I bought cayman for my daily car. I need to overcome my issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sorry. Maybe the whisky is making lol at this post. But really. It’s the same as most other MT I’ve ever driven. I don’t even look at the rpm. Are you really scared?

Just go to an empty parking lot till you are good to go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry. Maybe the whisky is making lol at this post. But really. It’s the same as most other MT I’ve ever driven. I don’t even look at the rpm. Are you really scared?

Just go to an empty parking lot till you are good to go.
Thank you for your reply. I'm scared especially in the high traffic. I feel pressure from other car... I'm scared power boost around 2000rpm by turbo. This is my first German car. I feel shift 1 is close to shift 2 in my Subaru BRZ. Yes, I must practice at empty parking lot.

·
Super Moderator
2,455 Posts
Another recommendation is in traffic don't be in sport mode. The car idles higher and is slightly more difficult to get going gently.
I agree whole-heartedly with this. While I have the PDK, the power comes on SO EASILY that driving in traffic I have to be careful about running into cars in front. In normal mode the power is gentle and the throttle travel is long so that's never an issue.

The turbo boost should come on very gradually, calculated to the demand on the engine. It's not just off or on full.

The other thing I've noticed is that in most cars I've driven the acceleration from a specific throttle position tapers off quite quickly. In the 718 it doesn't. If I keep my right foot at the same level the car just keeps on accelerating. It took a while to get used to this but YUM.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
OP, had you test driven a manual prior to your purchase? I am pretty sure you will master the manual but if you prefer a more user friendly Porsche you may want to consider a trade for a PDK. Though, one thing to keep in mind you will probably take a bit of a ding on either a resale or trade.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have read that you can fit a aftermarket throttle response system... I don’t have much information but might be worth looking in to ... also if you lift of the clutch with no pressure on the gas pedal will the car move ..? Diesels are good for this...

·
Registered
348 Posts
One way to get going is to blip the throttle and as the RPMs descend ease out on the clutch. That’s one way to get going. Just throwing out a suggestion. But a bit of time in a deserted parking lot will help tremendously.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The transmission is smoother as car breaks in. Less stalling tendencies. Mine is at mile 2400 and works well now. It did start out as you described, very grabby and lurches.
I find that my car when very warm tends to be cranky getting rolling. For example after a long drive followed by a gas refill, it is really hard to get rolling again. She will stall unless I use excess revs. That makes it hard to keep smooth. 5000+ miles on car. Otherwise a very easy clutch at all times. FWIW.
I'd day just give a couple extra feet to the car in front when you let the clutch out, and as others have said, practice lots.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Many sportscars have a very narrow range where you can engage the clutch progressively. In some, it feels like an on/off switch. I have a PDK, so I don't know about the 718, but I test drove a 911 T and felt a bit awkward. I thought my wife would have difficulty driving it for a while, although, most of her life she drove manuals.

Once you identify where the clutch range starts/ends, you will have no difficulty engaging the clutch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's been 2 weeks since I picked up my brand new base 718 cayman with manual transmission. I'm still scared stop and go...
I also have a 718 Cayman Base with a manual transmission. I will agree and disagree with some of the advise given. Here's my 50+ years of experience with a clutch, for what it's worth. If your previous ride had a light flywheel and was low on low-end torque, you needed to apply throttle first, then release the clutch to keep from killing the engine. The base 718 does not have a lot of torque at idle, but has plenty enough. I have a 40 minute commute into work each day with a lot of start/stop/clutch in and out traffic. Here's what I suggest:

-Find an empty flat parking lot as recommended above. Pointing slightly downhill will make the exercise easier.
-Porsche says to adjust your seat so your left knee isn't straight, but is still slightly bent when you have the clutch pedal to the floor.
-Put it in Sport mode. The engine idles at about 900 in normal mode, but about 1,000 in Sport. The slight increase in RPM will help a bit in the learning curve.
-Don't look at the gauges.
-Let out the clutch slowly until you feel the clutch plate just start to engage. The engine sound will change, and with my poor hearing is easier to appreciate in Sport mode. (I don't recommend looking at the tach, but if you insist you'll see the RPMs drop just a little as the clutch engages.)
-Slowly let out the clutch and you're off and running. At this point you can give it some gas. But, do it by feel, not the gauges
-If you're on an upward incline, you'll have to give it a bit of gas as you let out the clutch fully.
-Go and shift them gears.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
You need to find the sweet spot in the pedal where the clutch picks up first gear. Drive it and it will start to feel natural as you form some muscle memory just as you did with your Subaru. Go out to some open road, try not to think about it and have fun. And as dreamer said, a few blips on the throttle and then picking up first on the down rev can help. It also sounds cool :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
One handy thing in traffic, especially stopping on hills, is to use the parking brake. After setting the parking brake, you can just drive off without having to release it by hand. While there is a HOLD function on the car, it takes some time to get used to - for example, you have to push hard enough on the brake pedal to set it, and it will disengage if you put the car in neutral and release the clutch - ie it wants you to keep the clutch pedal engaged. As mentioned by others, it is a good idea to practice these things in a safe location.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts