Porsche 718 Forum banner

I'm scared stop and go with manual transmission

30K views 104 replies 49 participants last post by  PeC 
#1 ·
It's been 2 weeks since I picked up my brand new base 718 cayman with manual transmission. I'm still scared stop and go...

I've been driving manual transmission for 10 years, all of the car were low power natural engine (no turbo).
I usually connect clutch around 2000rpm, then car start moving slowly. No issue at all.

However, when I do same thing in my 718 cayman, car start very fast since 2000rpm is maximum torque!! I'm so scared.
I also tried to connect clutch around 1000rpm, then engine stops very easily.
Best thing might be connecting clutch around 1500rpm. But, this is not easy though I'm trying to press pedal slowly...

I bought cayman for my daily car. I need to overcome my issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#99 ·
I got my driving licence in 1970, driving a car with a manual box and a column mounted shifter.
I moved to auto only in about 2002, but still drive my Son's manual. I tend to forget to dip the clutch when stopping, but otherwise no issues.....
I got my bike licence in 1968 and gave up riding in 2014. All bikes are manual, with a hand clutch and foot shift, but the key takeaways are just the same....

From years of experience (heaven knows how many miles) there are a some key takeaways.
1. The clutch is not a switch, it is a graduated "fader"....
2. Clutches do nor burn out unless seriously abused.....
3. The throttle is totally progressive..use no more than needed....
4. FEEL is everything, for each car you have to learn the point at which the clutch starts to bite and the amount of throttle needed to get the car moving smoothly.
5. Ignore the rev counter, listen to the engine and feel for movement.
6 Do not, ever, simply release the clutch.
7. Starting on a hill requires real clutch and throttle harmonisation to avoid rolling back!

Reactions: Boxsir
#100 ·
Before writing my post yesterday I read all of the comments, but did not initially see anything providing a path forward. (I knew the problem was not my shoes as they work very nicely in when driving my Miata.). However, one writer observed that putting the car into Sport mode might address the issue. So today I found a long deserted road and I gave it a try, over, and over an over again, switching between Sport and non-Sport modes. In Sport mode, the car functioned just like every other manual I have driven- feather the throttle while releasing the clutch and off you go. No killing the engine, just a smooth aggressive launch. Exactly what I had hoped to enjoy when I picked up the car six months ago. Now I just need to remember to smash the Sport button every time I get in the car.

Thanks to all.

#101 · (Edited)
Before writing my post yesterday I read all of the comments, but did not initially see anything providing a path forward. (I knew the problem was not my shoes as they work very nicely in when driving my Miata.). However, one writer observed that putting the car into Sport mode might address the issue. So today I found a long deserted road and I gave it a try, over, and over an over again, switching between Sport and non-Sport modes. In Sport mode, the car functioned just like every other manual I have driven- feather the throttle while releasing the clutch and off you go. No killing the engine, just a smooth aggressive launch. Exactly what I had hoped to enjoy when I picked up the car six months ago. Now I just need to remember to smash the Sport button every time I get in the car.

Thanks to all.
Sport mode puts a more aggressive throttle response or an over boosted response. Like throttle position at like 10% results in a higher RPM to than the same in normal mode or even sport plus or that's what is is in the 4L cars. I'd assume its the same over boosted affect in the turbo'd cars.