Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I certainly don’t want to extend the long-running flat 4 sound debate. At the same time, I think most people can agree that 718’s are in general truly outstanding sports cars, with the obvious possible caveat of the flat 4 sound (and without getting into turbo vs NA engine performance trade offs, which I don’t think are subject to objective analysis).

And as much as I’m sure many people are sick of this topic, it continues to be relevant, especially with the pending availability of 4.0’s as alternatives. I am sure there are people trying to figure out if they should jump into a 718 4, or wait for or trade into a 4.0.

With that context, my question is specific (see Low RPM (1400-1900) Vibration). What is the true impact of the soundaktor on the perceived sound; when was the new version soundaktor introduced; what is the operating principle of the new soundaktor, and what is its intended and actual impact of the sounds it generates?

Does anyone KNOW the answers to these questions (as opposed to speculating)?

(Just for context, I am the new owner of a CPO 2019 BGTS, having quite consciously traded a 2014 BS. I‘m probably in the minority (now that I’ve disabled the soundaktor), and for me, the trade off of the 718’s improvements more than compensate for the sound issue, and I actually find the sound entertaining in its own right, even though not thrilling the way the 6 was). I am pretty sure that I would find a 4.0 GTS as truly ideal, but for the foreseeable future, a new GTS 4.0 is in a completely different price category from a nearly new CPO GTS 2.5, so what remains is you get what you pay for in that respect.)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
As you see on pics in the other thread the old one is bolted smack on the fire wall.
All for best connection so the vibrations can spread and it makes the whole firewall vibrate as a speaker.

The new one is mounted higher up and it has some kind of a mounting bracket.
So good mechanical connection seems less important. (looks like it hangs in rubber)
The tube points backwords and it has a certain length.
That tells me that some kind of tuning is involved for a certain frequency respons.

In otherword, the new one is more of a normal (horn) speaker.

But i dont know for sure......

·
Super Moderator
1,835 Posts
@dgkli , I feel @johan 's analysis of the two Soundaktor exterior designs is likely accurate. The old one used the firewall itself as the primary diaphragm, and the new one probably applies more digital filtering to the signal and plainly directs it toward the driver via the ducting.

Thing is, both are artificial. IMHO, any artificial white-noise sound generator in an ICE vehicle is a negative for a variety of reasons that range from the low-RPM NVH issue you mention to sound system fidelity and safety. Just pull the Soundaktor fuse and be done with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts