Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the indoor car cover is placed on the car after it is washed and waxed but should you wait a day or two to cover the car after washing to avoid trapping moisture under the cover? Thoughts, more harm then good? Will be leaving the CS garaged when were on a six week vacation and would like to wash/wax the car, wait a day or two(?) to allow the car to fully dry to avoid trapping moisture then place the car cover on. Anyone with experience in the use of car covers both pros and cons, any feedback would be helpful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Most good car covers are made of a breathable fabric, so moisture will not get trapped.
Best to cover the car soon after washing, before a layer of dust starts to accumulate on the paint.

·
892 Posts
Most good car covers are made of a breathable fabric, so moisture will not get trapped.
Best to cover the car soon after washing, before a layer of dust starts to accumulate on the paint.
Yeah, it kind of defeats the object of having a car cover if you're going to let the car get a bit dirty again before you decide to actually cover it.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased the Porsche indoor car cover before I even received the 718 so it's brand new and a quality car cover. I will make sure I am very thorough with the leaf blower when drying the car.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I purchased the Porsche indoor car cover before I even received the 718 so it's brand new and a quality car cover. I will make sure I am very thorough with the leaf blower when drying the car.
Do people actually use a leaf blower to dry their cars? I never thought of doing that.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do people actually use a leaf blower to dry their cars? I never thought of doing that.
Absolutely, I have a leaf blower I use for the 718 and it works like a charm. I especially go around the wheels and the mirrors and all crevices....essentially all the areas that tend to collect water, and saves allot of time and need very few towels to dry the car. I actually use it on the entire car....the hatch back window without the blower keeps dripping water....... also the rear view mirrors, rear glass quarter panels behind the drive and passenger windows, the side air vents, rear lights/license plate area, etc.

·
892 Posts
Absolutely, I have a leaf blower I use for the 718 and it works like a charm. I especially go around the wheels and the mirrors and all crevices....essentially all the areas that tend to collect water, and saves allot of time and need very few towels to dry the car. I actually use it on the entire car....the hatch back window without the blower keeps dripping water....... also the rear view mirrors, rear glass quarter panels behind the drive and passenger windows, the side air vents, rear lights/license plate area, etc.
A car with it's very own hairdryer, whatever next? Talk about being spoilt & pampered. I've never come across it before, but yeah that'll absolutely work & you're right it doesn't matter how much you dry a car using conventional methods, you'll still have to go around multiple times to wipe off the drips. I'd still quickly run up the road just to dry off/warm the brakes properly though, otherwise they can seize up. Doesn't have to be far, just a few braking applications is sufficient.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A car with it's very own hairdryer, whatever next? Talk about being spoilt & pampered.
That's what I talking about......the next thing I have to figure out is does the car need a Porsche companion, it can be lonely.....maybe that's the illusive or mythical 718 2018/2019 GT4:)
I try to explain this to my wife but I get the look........go figure......

·
Registered
133 Posts
[]
I bought a cheap $60AUD leaf blower today based on this post.

It worked really well! Thanks for the tip.

Since I like gadgets, it also made drying the car much more fun. That has to count for something :)

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I bought a cheap $60AUD leaf blower today based on this post.

It worked really well! Thanks for the tip.

Since I like gadgets, it also made drying the car much more fun. That has to count for something :)
Welcome.....absolutely saves time & drying towels, and no more annoying drips down the side of the car or small puddles in the bottom of the wheel rims.

If you like gadgets, as I do, check this product out on Amazon.com: WORX WG629 Cordless Hydroshot Portable Power Cleaner, 20V Li-ion (2.0Ah), 320psi, 20V Power Share Platform.......if water spots are an issue then this will work great (very hard water in Texas). As a final step I wet my car using 2 gallons of distilled water and zero water spots.......

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well......parting is such sweet sorry.....oh wait, it's not that bad I'm going on a 6 week vacation. Washed/Waxed/Dried thoroughly/Porsche Battery Maintainer and all but I did wait about 6 hours before placing the Porsche cover on.......hedging my bets regarding moisture. The Porsche car cover is, in fact, as SoCalS5 stated, Breathable:)

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've never waited very long after washing before putting the cover on & I've never had any problems. It's a breathable cover, a quality item & it's not going to give you any grief. You worry too much, just relax & enjoy your holiday & be safe in the knowledge that your 718 is safely tucked up under its new duvet. :)
Thanks for the tips and info regarding the indoor cover...... Safe and Sound...........Though, I will be able to keep an eye on the car with my remote cameras.......;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Metropac.com provided me with the Master Blaster Car Dryer. Never touch your car with a towel if you do it right.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Metropac.com provided me with the Master Blaster Car Dryer. Never touch your car with a towel if you do it right.
The master blaster seems to be a good product but I had an idle leaf blower around the house that needed something to do, and it works real good.........repurposed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
$800AUD... Wow that thing is expensive! I wonder how much it would cost if it was Porsche branded :)

Granted it would probably save a couple of mins per dry and would be worth it for a professional detailer. But I certainly wouldn't pay for it for casual use.

However you got it for free? That's a win win.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Good grief man, get a grip, you'll be trying to get a satellite repurposed next. :D

Wait…..Satellite, hmm, repurposed, hmm. Okay what is it I could do with my own Satellite? Oh I know, I could get one reprogrammed to spy the upcoming, I might add very real Porsche 718 GT4 that Porsche enthusiasts are claiming they see……because, let’s be honest, who really cares about all those sightings of Big Foot or the Lock Ness monster anyway?

·
892 Posts
Wait…..Satellite, hmm, repurposed, hmm. Okay what is it I could do with my own Satellite? Oh I know, I could get one reprogrammed to spy the upcoming, I might add very real Porsche 718 GT4 that Porsche enthusiasts are claiming they see……because, let’s be honest, who really cares about all those sightings of Big Foot or the Lock Ness monster anyway?
In any case the Big foot mystery has already been solved.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts