Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this topic covered elsewhere in this forum, but I did not see any resolution.

The rev and speedo analog dials (obviously not the LCD ones) are quite dark. If the exterior light is switched to auto, in broad daylight I can barely see the instrument dials. Bright sunlight doesn't make it better, probably even worse due to the high contrast.

Some other members say that the backlighting should not be on permanently to 'remind' you to turn the lights on after dark. I leave the light switch in AUTO, but I am having to turn on at least the park lights during the day to see the instrument dials clearly.

Am I the only one? Any easy fix? (2017 Boxster S)

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
203 Posts
I have seen this topic covered elsewhere in this forum, but I did not see any resolution.

The rev and speedo analog dials (obviously not the LCD ones) are quite dark. If the exterior light is switched to auto, in broad daylight I can barely see the instrument dials. Bright sunlight doesn't make it better, probably even worse due to the high contrast.

Some other members say that the backlighting should not be on permanently to 'remind' you to turn the lights on after dark. I leave the light switch in AUTO, but I am having to turn on at least the park lights during the day to see the instrument dials clearly.

There is a way to turn them on all the time. Someone with a PIWIS can tell the car it has white dials and the lights will be on all the time. It bothered me a lot when I first got my car. After driving it for a couple of months it does not bother me anymore. I go by the digital speedometer anyway. With a PDK I don't care about RPMs. On cars with a manual I shift by sound and pretty much ignore the tach.

Reactions: Raven and Goodwood

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

Do a search for the thread "Instrument Panel Lights".

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
959 Posts
I almost totally ignore the analog speedo for the digital one.

The orange hand on the tach is quite easy to see. Not sure how necessary the numbers are. If it is at 12 o'clock that means 4500 RPM. If it is at 3 o'clock, that means redline.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

The orange hand on the tach is quite easy to see. Not sure how necessary the numbers are. If it is at 12 o'clock that means 4500 RPM. If it is at 3 o'clock, that means redline.
It's only easy to see if you aren't color blind or maybe if you never drive in shadows.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,381 Posts

That's how I've been doing it also.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does this phenomenon occur in the Cayman S with the silver tach gauge face?
On my current 987 I have the white gauge faces which are fantastic day and night and was going to spec them on my new 718 order.
I was rethinking the white gauges and felt they would be an unnecessary $790Cdn option add as I never look at the analog speedo, the left gauge is all LCD screen and the tach is shown as silver in the configurator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
On my current 987 I have the white gauge faces which are fantastic day and night and was going to spec them on my new 718 order.
I was rethinking the white gauges and felt they would be an unnecessary $790Cdn option add as I never look at the analog speedo, the left gauge is all LCD screen and the tach is shown as silver in the configurator.

I can't answer your question but if you like the white gauges in your current car, I'd order them again.
FWIW

·
Registered
2019 Cayman S, Cobb Stage 1 OTS, BMC Air Filter, Soul Catted Downpipe, Center Radiator
214 Posts

I have a 2019 Cayman S and would have liked to have the white gauges as I am unable to see speedometer on left and tach numbers in middle. I am used to it by now but would prefer to see everything.

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
1,995 Posts
Is it possible to turn off the digital speedometer? I am about to buy one next week i believe. Curious.
I don't think so, but it should be easy to ignore. The analog speedometer is so far to the left that I never use it. I keep telling myself I should just look, but I'm usually doing a quick look and its easier to check speed and RPMs at the same time with the same glance.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,381 Posts
The digital speedo is great and right where you need it in the rev counter.

IMO unless you have eyes like a sniper, you'll find the analog difficult to read when driving fast.
There's an analog speed indicator? Coulda fooled me. I drive by the big needle in the middle and the sound in my ears and the air in my hair. Sorta rhymes.....

Reactions: TomD

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
There's an analog speed indicator? Coulda fooled me. I drive by the big needle in the middle and the sound in my ears and the air in my hair. Sorta rhymes.....
By the power vested in me, Raven is hearby officially appointed as the 718 Forum's official poet laureate. Wear your crown proudly my friend!

·
Registered
801 Posts
There's an analog speed indicator?
April will be three years since I took delivery. I can accurately state that I have never used the analog speedometer for any purpose ever. It is 100% useless wasted space with so much other information that it could have been easily used for. Too late now as I am sure the design change to make it useful would entail way too much expense in engineering, drawings, testing, tooling, parts contracts, etc.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,381 Posts
By the power vested in me, Raven is hearby officially appointed as the 718 Forum's official poet laureate. Wear your crown proudly my friend!
Lol! Too kind.....
I guess what I should take from this accolade is "At my age to still have hair to have air in...." <large grin>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.