Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I’m likely to pick up a 718 s later this month. I have Geico and I tried to quote the additional car. They quoted an increase of 650/ year on top of the 1200 I’m paying already for an e46. Both at 4K miles a year. (Geico total = 2400/yr)

Tried progressive and the total is 1200/ year for both cars I’m like half. With very similar coverage. Full collision, uninsured motorist and liability of 300/500 and pip, Have you ever seen anything like this?, the price delta is impressive.

One thing to note*
Progressive presented insurance as follows.
A) liability cost (and state required stuff)
B) E46 full coverage cost
C)718 full coverage Cost

While Geico presented it as just a slap of 650/six months.

I can’t help but think progressive’s costing engine is correctly factoring into account that driving style is similar between the two cars and that part A should also be similar. Also the fact that I can’t drive both at once.

What do y’all think?

I’m sure they have actuarial calcs that price specific cars higher to compensate for the risk profile by region as well. Just thought I’d share.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It depends on the region. Some insurers are higher than others depending on payout frequency and their client risk profiles. Progressive has that Snapshot thing that gives you a discount up front then based on how you drive up it at renewal. It's free data to them of your driving habits and risks taken which is good and bad at the same time. I did it way back in March knowing I ain't driving anywhere at all, so 6 months of minimal driving made the savings worth it. If the 718 is a weekend car that you don't put a lot of miles on it, the pay by the mile insurance companies might be worth checking out. You lose the multi car discount, but depending on savings it might be worth it.

FWIW, Geico was cheapest when I was out in NY/NJ area and had no issues with payouts using OEM parts. I switch companies every few years to get the lowest rates. The whole "loyalty" thing is BS with insurance really. In Seattle, AllState was cheaper than Geico for a while, then now Progressive. You just gotta shop around as when rates go up, people go elsewhere, insurance companies pay out less due to lower risk and rates drop.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hey Folks,

I’m likely to pick up a 718 s later this month. I have Geico and I tried to quote the additional car. They quoted an increase of 650/ year on top of the 1200 I’m paying already for an e46. Both at 4K miles a year. (Geico total = 2400/yr)

Tried progressive and the total is 1200/ year for both cars I’m like half. With very similar coverage. Full collision, uninsured motorist and liability of 300/500 and pip, Have you ever seen anything like this?, the price delta is impressive.

One thing to note*
C)718 full coverage Cost

I can’t help but think progressive’s costing engine is correctly factoring into account that driving style is similar between the two cars and that part A should also be similar. Also the fact that I can’t drive both at once.

What do y’all think?

I’m sure they have actuarial calcs that price specific cars higher to compensate for the risk profile by region as well. Just thought I’d share.
I have Geico in NH. With 1 Subaru, I was paying about $950. I added a 2nd car (Honda CRV) and it increased to $1200. Adding our Cayman brought it up to around $1500. This is for 12 month coverage with all the standard coverages. I'm ok with that. I have a clean record with no claims. They've been good by me.
MOO

·
Registered
2017 718 Boxster - Graphite Blue Metallic
77 Posts
I switched from Allstate to Progressive with generally similar savings. Progressive is VERY competitive these days..... Paying less for my Macan & 718 than I was just for the Macan previously...

·
Registered
297 Posts
I went with Leland West when my 2017 Boxster came along. About $500/year for full value coverage! Now my 1992 911 is also with them with $45k coverage for about $500 a year!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I swapped my wife's 2014 Audi Q5 TDI for a 2018 Cayman S, I was expecting to get hammered on insurance. I got the bill for the new policy, and it was for an additional $14. :) I guess it helps to be an old fart.

Cap

·
Registered
455 Posts
I suggest asking whomever you consider for your automobile insurance if they will cover real OEM parts or only authorize aftermarket "equivalent" replacement parts. A few years ago I shopped some of the bigger insurance companies and found most will not cover OEM parts. Also, over the years, credible body shop owners told me aftermarket body parts are not he same quality as OEM parts and frequently do not fit as well. I used State Farm for over 40 years although I perceive my premiums are higher than Geiko, etc. Although no claims in the recent past, they have always been at least in the reasonable ball park in how they paid claims with minimal BS. After Hurricane Andrew, they paid the limits on our policies (structure & interior stuff) with minimal brain damage and in pleasant contrast to how insurance companies, such as Allstate, handled the many others I worked with that were equally effected.

I have absolutely no personal experience to validate complaints I have heard many times over the years that Geiko starts with a very competitive rate then gradually increases it at each renewal. However, I heard this so many times I cannot help but to think where there is smoke, there is most likely fire.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Had GEICO for many years and when I bought the car I started shopping around. A major competitor came in substantially lower for all 4 cars and umbrella coverage. I asked GEICO to match - no deal they said. Happy with new company so far. My bad for not seeking competitive rates sooner as I'm sure I paid more than needed for years. As others have said, don't get locked in to one company and shop frequently.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I suggest asking whomever you consider for your automobile insurance if they will cover real OEM parts or only authorize aftermarket "equivalent" replacement parts. A few years ago I shopped some of the bigger insurance companies and found most will not cover OEM parts. Also, over the years, credible body shop owners told me aftermarket body parts are not he same quality as OEM parts and frequently do not fit as well. I used State Farm for over 40 years although I perceive my premiums are higher than Geiko, etc. Although no claims in the recent past, they have always been at least in the reasonable ball park in how they paid claims with minimal BS. After Hurricane Andrew, they paid the limits on our policies (structure & interior stuff) with minimal brain damage and in pleasant contrast to how insurance companies, such as Allstate, handled the many others I worked with that were equally effected.

I have absolutely no personal experience to validate complaints I have heard many times over the years that Geiko starts with a very competitive rate then gradually increases it at each renewal. However, I heard this so many times I cannot help but to think where there is smoke, there is most likely fire.
Except for maybe the windshield, I wonder how much of any damaged parts can be sourced non-OEM? Market niche is small and would seem to be non-profitable to make many knock-offs so I'm not sure whether this is that big of a concern. Anyone had a claim yet that required new parts?

·
Registered
92 Posts
...Except for maybe the windshield..., Anyone had a claim yet that required new parts?
I had a 2015 BMW 5-series with a head-up display. And I got a crack in the windshield. Because of the head-up display, BMW requires an OEM windshield. State Farm gave me some minor pushback, saying that they needed to investigate the requirement, and that they would choose which windshield I would get. But within a day or so, I had a brand new OEM BMW windshield.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I swapped my wife's 2014 Audi Q5 TDI for a 2018 Cayman S, I was expecting to get hammered on insurance. I got the bill for the new policy, and it was for an additional $14. :) I guess it helps to be an old fart.

Cap
I just got a new 2021 GT4 and it cost less to insure than my 2016 A7! I called State Farm to see if it is correct and it is.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Except for maybe the windshield,...
I did have experience with a windshield, the unacceptable aftermarket replacement windshield, and State Farm.

For reasons, long since forgotten, my 2002 BMW Z3 windshield was damaged. Replacing it was a no cost/penalty/etc. exercise and State Farm immediately made arrangements with a reputable national chain to replace it in my driveway. I knew it would be an aftermarket piece of glass and was not concerned because I never had a problem in this respect with a handful of other windshields over the years.

The new windshield was installed and a cosmetic problem immediately was obvious. Instead of a black almost invisible area behind the rear view mirror mounting, There was a big white most very visible circle. The company that replaced it refused to install a OEM windshield so I called State Farm. I do not remember any conversation but the replacement company then custom ordered a BMW windshield and returned to replace the one they had just installed.

In another case, I had front end damage fixed by a State Farm authorized shop. The work was less than acceptable. I complained about it to State Farm and they authorized another shop to redo the painting, etc.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Insurance response varies nationwide within/between companies I suppose. Point was that it seems difficult to source aftermarket parts for a relatively low-volume car. Hope I never have to find out!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Folks,

One thing to note*
C)718 full coverage Cost

What do y’all think?

Try Hagerty insurance👍

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you want to know which insurance company to use, go to the nearest Porsche Certified Collision Center and ask them which insurer will be the least difficult to work with if you should require services.

If you ensure 3 or more cars investigate the yearly savings of carrying a $2000 deductible rather than $500. You may be surprised at how quickly it adds up to $2000.

Geico is pretty much why speed enforcement is enabled with laser-based speed detectors. I’d rather go to Lloyd’s of London at twice the price than Geico. Yes, yes, speed kills. But giving speed detectors to law enforcement so that your insurance premiums can be raised is racketeering.

·
Registered
974 Posts

Geico is pretty much why speed enforcement is enabled with laser-based speed detectors. I’d rather go to Lloyd’s of London at twice the price than Geico. Yes, yes, speed kills. But giving speed detectors to law enforcement so that your insurance premiums can be raised is racketeering.
Please explain this.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts