Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been stated by the Porsche management that the current version of the Cayman/Boxster will be stretched up until 2022-2023, when it will presumably be replaced by a new generation of the car featuring electrical or hybrid motors.

Nevertheless, the current generation has been on sale since 2016 and to be honest, the interior is starting to look a bit out of date, as compared to other cars out there (Supra, BMW Z4, new 2020 F-Type...). Furthermore, the 718 is the only model within Porsche's range still featuring the old interior version (very similar in style and design to the one used on the 991 or even the 981). All the other models in the range already have an updated interior, with a bigger central screen, digital cockpit, less buttons in general... (not saying they are better, but like it or not this is how modern cars look like nowadays).

Simple question: Do you think they will stick to the same interior until the next generation arrives or there will be some sort of facelift this year or the next to standardize the interior to the other Porsche models and, at the same time, keep up with the 718's rivals before the next gen model is presented?

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
It might be the subject of a mid-cycle face lift (although the mid-cycle is now!).

However, if they go hybrid in 2024, they will be forced into a digital dashboard, so why give it away now?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Porsche don't have standardised interiors across all models. The 718 and Macan share interior architecture (for eg. three instrument faces). Likewise for the 911 and Cayenne (five instrument faces), so have a look at the face lifted Macan to get an idea of what changes might happen.

The only change of note on the face lifted Macan was a larger PCM screen and movement of air vents to accommodate this; other than that, the face lifted Macan still has what you might refer to as the 'old interior'. So I would expect any facelift changes to be minimal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
In my opinion the interior is fine as-is. Many (most?) of the interiors in other cars today are too "flashy" with too many gimmicks, menu items you have to search for on a screen rather than simply pressing a button or turning a knob, and my least favorite aesthetically, the nav screen that looks like an iPad glued to the dash.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would say that the current interior of the 718 is one of its strong suits, the tech level is somehow very appropriate for a small sports car.
A 992 style interior would somehow feel wrong in a 718, that is at least my opinion.
Not that there is anything wrong with the 992 interior, it just seems more appropriate in a GT cruiser.

·
Registered
700 Posts
To my rather cursory glances in the showroom the interior of the 911 (whatever its current numerical designation is) looks at least superficially like my Cayman's. Same shifter layout, 5-dial display instead of 3 but crammed into the same space, similar bank of buttons in the center console, similar vents below the windshield, and I believe a similar LCD screen though I haven't bothered to think about their relative sizes or see the 911's in action. In any case, it doesn't matter whether BMW or Audi or Chevy or Foor or anyone else puts more "stuff" in their interior. I don't drive them, I drive mine and I find it works great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your answers. I like the current interior of the 718, specially with red leather or black leather with red dials. However, I think the new Macan's or 992's interior would look sweet on the 718. Aside from that, I wouldn't want to get a 718 to find out a couple of months later that a new interior will be featured in the short future, meaning that I have bought an already outdated version, but this is how these things work, it's always impossible to stay up to date for a long period of time. Obviously manufacturers want to give you a reason to upgrade your car/cellphone/laptop...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Given that they’ve just put up the configurator for the 2020 models, which don’t show any change to the interior; clearly one isn’t coming until the 2022/23 alleged electric Cayman/Boxster models. I just don’t see them redoing the interior until then.

·
Registered
272 Posts
These are a few of my favorite things... 🎶
  • a stick shift
  • inserting a key instead of using an ignition button
  • buttons I can feel by touch instead of Tesla-style touchscreen mayhem
  • analog tach
  • raindrops on roses
  • whiskers on kittens
I, personally, am thrilled that they did not change the interior for the 2020 model year.

·
Registered
220 Posts
In my opinion the interior is fine as-is. Many (most?) of the interiors in other cars today are too "flashy" with too many gimmicks, menu items you have to search for on a screen rather than simply pressing a button or turning a knob, and my least favorite aesthetically, the nav screen that looks like an iPad glued to the dash.
I could not have stated it better! I would much rather have the clear, very functional, and pleasing to the eye simple array of analog instruments, supplemented by some appropriate digital instrumentation, like my 2019 Boxster has and my 2002 Z3 and 2008 Z4 had. The BMW electronic display in the new Z4 is terrible in my opinion because it goes for the distracting silly electronic computer whammydyne look instead of the simplicity of three round quick to read analog instruments. Digital is certainly not always better. Although I am now retired I witnessed a rush in power plant control rooms twenty some years ago to replace easy to see inexpensive simple side by side vertical scale analog meters with digital replacements. I could easily quickly scan my eyes over a wall full of the analog meters and very quickly discern a needle that was not where it should be. I could not do that with the digital replacements that had a small digital readout above an unscaled vertical bar graph. The old BMW and current Porsche displays are not broken and work very well. I also agree I could do without the iPad look for the Nav etc. display. Instead of the screen being well and pleasingly integrated into the dashboard, the iPad displays look like an afterthought that can easily break off of its mountings. A salesman told me the iPad displays are a safety thing because they sit higher on the dash and the driver does not have to look so far down to see it. That is BS! I just had a 2020 X3 loaner and there was no practical difference between it with an iPad display and my 2016 X3 that is integrated in the dash.

·
Registered
326 Posts
To my rather cursory glances in the showroom the interior of the 911 (whatever its current numerical designation is) looks at least superficially like my Cayman's. Same shifter layout, 5-dial display instead of 3 but crammed into the same space, similar bank of buttons in the center console, similar vents below the windshield, and I believe a similar LCD screen though I haven't bothered to think about their relative sizes or see the 911's in action. In any case, it doesn't matter whether BMW or Audi or Chevy or Foor or anyone else puts more "stuff" in their interior. I don't drive them, I drive mine and I find it works great.
Then it must have been a 991 generation 911 you saw, the new 992 generation is radically different from that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
.... "Outdated" and very happy with it!
I just dont think big infotainment screens and digital buttons suit cars well.

I just really dont like the newer interior in the 911. Gloss should be banned on anything that need to be touched along with digital buttons and nissan jukes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thank you all for your answers. I like the current interior of the 718, specially with red leather or black leather with red dials. However, I think the new Macan's or 992's interior would look sweet on the 718.
I assume mean Taycan or Cayenne? As per my post there is actually very little difference between the 718 and Macan (facelift or otherwise) interiors.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's debatable. lol
As with anything aesthetic the beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.
Stylistically the new gear selector ties pretty well in with the design of the 5 shortcut keys below the PCM screen, the 3 toggle switches for the climate control as well as the climate vent lever and very likely other design features, so stylistically I personally don't see any problem with the new shifter.
Functionally I would lie if I said I didn't prefer the old PDK shifter, but it is not even close to being something which would prevent me from purchasing a 992.
In fact I currently have a 992 Carrera 2 Coupe on order scheduled for delivery early this year, new shifter and all included :D

By the way, Porsche Exclusive Manufactur now offers an alternative shifter, still in similar size, but in a slightly different design without the Braun vibe.

·
Registered
531 Posts
As with anything aesthetic the beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.
Stylistically the new gear selector ties pretty well in with the design of the 5 shortcut keys below the PCM screen, the 3 toggle switches for the climate control as well as the climate vent lever and very likely other design features, so stylistically I personally don't see any problem with the new shifter.
Functionally I would lie if I said I didn't prefer the old PDK shifter, but it is not even close to being something which would prevent me from purchasing a 992.
In fact I currently have a 992 Carrera 2 Coupe on order scheduled for delivery early this year, new shifter and all included :D

By the way, Porsche Exclusive Manufactur now offers an alternative shifter, still in similar size, but in a slightly different design without the Braun vibe. View attachment 25050
Has anyone actually tried the new shifter? To me it does not look ergonomic at all but I have not touched one. Actual feel could be different.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts