Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many people when they specked their Porsche went with painting the interior trim in the exterior color? If so how satisfied are you with that selection? Does it hold up pretty well? Does it show scratches or is chipping an issue? I am curious to see how popular this option is and opinions about that selection......Good/Bad or indifferent.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I did - in GT silver. I treat the interior trim with the same wax and polish as the exterior paint when I clean the car. Holds up perfect so far and I love the looks of it. Would order it again with any color.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did - in GT silver. I treat the interior trim with the same wax and polish as the exterior paint when I clean the car. Holds up perfect so far and I love the looks of it. Would order it again with any color.
When you get a chance if you could provide some pictures that would be helpful.......getting a Guards Red Porsche and I think the painted interior in Guards Red could look pretty sharp.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a lava orange 2017 boxster with a black interior. I the lava orange painted interior and it really makes the interior stand out. Everyone makes a comment about how it really looks good. I have 10,000 miles on the car and the whole car looks like new. I also had expel put on the front and the whole car coated with Flight Shield's Sapphire V1 nano coating. No more polishing or waxing. I would definitely have the interior painted package put on any 718.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a lava orange 2017 boxster with a black interior. I the lava orange painted interior and it really makes the interior stand out. Everyone makes a comment about how it really looks good. I have 10,000 miles on the car and the whole car looks like new. I also had expel put on the front and the whole car coated with Flight Shield's Sapphire V1 nano coating. No more polishing or waxing. I would definitely have the interior painted package put on any 718.
Pictures? No issue with scratches/chips given the Porsche paint is so soft?

·
Registered
701 Posts
When you get a chance if you could provide some pictures that would be helpful.......getting a Guards Red Porsche and I think the painted interior in Guards Red could look pretty sharp.
Sure, I can do that. Just keep in mind that the metallic gt silver is very hard to capture accurately in pictures. It changes under different lights. And I'm not a gifted photographer.
I do like the subtlety of it. In fact when the SA who did my delivery got in the car he said: "Oh, I see you got the brushed aluminum trim option...wait...no... that's gt silver. Nice!" :)
I did test drive a 991.2 in guards red with the painted option. And of course it's much more uhm.. in your face. I liked it and would order it.
Brushed aluminum or carbon fiber trim is nice also of course. Leather trim has a place I guess but it's not for me. Painted in exterior color just adds that special something look to the interior - I think. YMMV.

·
Registered
701 Posts
No issue with scratches/chips given the Porsche paint is so soft?
No issues. Honestly I wouldn't know how to scratch it? Unless I clean the interior with polish and microfiber towel I never even touch the trim as far as I'm aware? Judging by your detailing posts you appear to take very good care of your cars as well. It will be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At present my Porsche does not go V250 until 3 August and as of right now I have the black leather option to cover the aluminum trim...

·
Registered
701 Posts
At present my Porsche does not go V250 until 3 August and as of right now I have the black leather option to cover the aluminum trim...
I wouldn't do leather trim in a GT3 but that's just my uneducated opinion. Good news is that whatever trim you end up getting it can be changed very easily after the fact if end up not liking it.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't do leather trim in a GT3 but that's just my uneducated opinion. Good news is that whatever trim you end up getting it can be changed very easily after the fact if end up not liking it.
Why? Interested to know your reasons......Esthetics? Durability?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Why? Interested to know your reasons......Esthetics? Durability?
It's really just personal preference, so no judging here from me for sure. I just feel the GT3 is such a over the top (in a good way) track tool that leather trim is aesthetically misplaced. Carbon fiber sure...but leather? I don't know.
Plus I really dislike the leather trim every time I see a Nick Murray video with a shot of the interior of his car. So my opinion is biased for sure.
If you want to black out the brushed aluminum, why not do the "Brushed Aluminum Interior Package in Anthracite"? I've had the black aluminum trim in my Macan GTS and it looked great. I imagine the "anthracite" being very similar if not basically the same.
But my vote would still be painted. Just a cool contrast if you have a black interior.

Just my opinion. Whatever you do the car will be amazing...and I need to get off the configurator NOW...:laugh:

·
Registered
507 Posts
I love the look of the painted trim for a sports car. I ordered a GTS and went with the standard carbon fiber but if that trim wasn't part of the GTS package I definitely would have gone painted. Personally I find the aluminum trim uninteresting. On every showroom floor the aluminum is just everywhere and inescapable!!

I have the black brushed aluminum in my Macan but find the contrast boring over the black/red interior. It's just black and the texture doesn't offset that

Notwithstanding that I find Nick Murray's videos entertaining, pretty sure my taste in Porsche configuration and his are polar opposites.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sure, I can do that. Just keep in mind that the metallic gt silver is very hard to capture accurately in pictures. It changes under different lights. And I'm not a gifted photographer. I do like the subtlety of it. In fact when the SA who did my delivery got in the car he said: "Oh, I see you got the brushed aluminum trim option...wait...no... that's gt silver. Nice!" Brushed aluminum or carbon fiber trim is nice also of course.

I ordered the GT Silver and the brushed aluminum package. :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
right now I have the black leather option to cover the aluminum trim...
Here's what all trim (center console and dash) in leather looks like with Cognac/Espresso. I configured this car but cancelled my order; this photo of the actual car as shown on dealer site.

btw the default silver trim is not aluminum or even metal but "chrome-look" plastic. But this is something that could easily be painted or wrapped after-market for likely less than the $1k upcharge from factory.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's what all trim (center console and dash) in leather looks like with Cognac/Espresso. I configured this car but cancelled my order; this photo of the actual car as shown on dealer site.

btw the default silver trim is not aluminum or even metal but "chrome-look" plastic. But this is something that could easily be painted or wrapped after-market for likely less than the $1k upcharge from factory.
Firstly, the leather finish looks, in my opinion, quite good. Though, didn’t realize the “aluminum” trim was plastic thanks for the info. Chilli was kind enough to send me some information about trim wrapping, as well, it’s nice to know that is a viable option......

·
Registered
701 Posts
What are the lowly models?
lol... should have put lowly in ""
Anything less 991.2 turbo S is not worthy of upgraded trim standard I believe. I think the GTS and 991.2 T models are the exception to that rule. Basically what I was trying to say is that you have to check every model/trim standard equipment individually and can't draw conclusions from one model to the other.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol... should have put lowly in ""
Anything less 991.2 turbo S is not worthy of upgraded trim standard I believe. I think the GTS and 991.2 T models are the exception to that rule. Basically what I was trying to say is that you have to check every model/trim standard equipment individually and can't draw conclusions from one model to the other.
I see....though, I thought lowly meant the GT2-RS.....certainly not the lengendary 718;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts