Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Note that the S and GTS limit the torque in the manual transmission vehicles because the transmission can't handle the full torque potential. They don't torque limit the engines in the PDK application. This is one of the reasons the PDK is significantly faster than the manual. So, if you really want to tune your engine I'd look for a PDK car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah I read about that but are you sure its because of the transmission or clutch/pressure plate?

Engineers typically put in certain levels of safety factor and wonder what the true limit is.

Having said that, any failures thus far (besides the 2017 3rd gear issues)? Again, new to the platform.

Note that the S and GTS limit the torque in the manual transmission vehicles because the transmission can't handle the full torque potential. They don't torque limit the engines in the PDK application. This is one of the reasons the PDK is significantly faster than the manual. So, if you really want to tune your engine I'd look for a PDK car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you look at the maximum torque values Porsche publishes (or, actually, published—they've been "adjusting" the values upon the announcement of the 4.0 GTS), torque is lower for the manual transmissioned engine than the PDK. Porsche has admitted that this is because the manual can't handle the full torque of the motor. Several of the GTS reviews mentioned this, so it wasn't being reported by just one odd-ball publication.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do we have an idea on the max torque the PDK (on 718 boxster s or GTS) can accept in the case of repro/motor tuning ?

Not found this info

Thanks in advance

Tux

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've seen it and I believe you. I'm just curious which component is the limiting factor. Transmission (Actual gears, synchronizer, etc.) or clutch? its a big difference.

It can go either way. I know porsche likes to balancing things out, which is great. So if they increased the torque maybe they would've needed to increase the tension on the pressure plate; thereby, producing more resistance on the clutch pedal and potential of customers complaining. At least ast that's what I'm hoping and it's not the transmission that's the limiting factor :)

If you look at the maximum torque values Porsche publishes (or, actually, published—they've been "adjusting" the values upon the announcement of the 4.0 GTS), torque is lower for the manual transmissioned engine than the PDK. Porsche has admitted that this is because the manual can't handle the full torque of the motor. Several of the GTS reviews mentioned this, so it wasn't being reported by just one odd-ball publication.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts