Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's not really what the thread title makes it sound like. I've never owned more than 2 at the same time...

Yesterday I picked up my new-to-me 718 Cayman. I'm well pleased with it so far.

One owner 2018 718 Cayman, first delivered in May 2019 so it still has 15 months original warranty remaining. Bought directly from the original owner, not a dealer. 22,000 miles, full service history. Owner sold it to me because his new Shark Blue Cayman T is due to be delivered in a week or two.

Rhodium Silver, black leather. PDK, 19" Boxster S wheels, Premium Pkg Plus, rear spoiler and door handles in gloss black. Spray-on PPF (ClarityCoat) on the entire front clip, rockers and rear fenders up to the seams. Four new Conti Extreme Contact Sport within the last 1000 miles.

Not much not to like. The black spoiler and door handles don't do much for me, but I'll wait a while to see if they grow on me before deciding on a change.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two gorgeous Porsches! Congrats!

However, for the sake of the original owner of the Cayman, I hope his new T isn’t coming on board the Felicity Ace cargo ship.
Well, the 911 is actually sold, just here awaiting transport. And the prior owner's T is already in the States.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, the 911 is actually sold, just here awaiting transport. And the prior owner's T is already in the States.
Well, still congrats on the Cayman, and my congrats to the new owner of the 911. You will have a blast in the Cayman. I have been loving mine for just over 7 months now. (Of course, it’s my first ever Porsche, so I don’t have any others to compare it to.) Glad to hear the prior owner’s new car is safely on dry land. Everyone needs at least one Porsche!

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it is a big change for me, despite my history with Porsches. Before this one, the most "modern" Porsche I've had was an '84 944...

·
Registered
2020 Cayman
9 Posts
It's not really what the thread title makes it sound like. I've never owned more than 2 at the same time...

But yesterday I picked up my new-to-me 718 Cayman. I'm well pleased with it so far.

One owner 2018 718 Cayman, first delivered in May 2019 so it still has 15 months original warranty remaining. Bought directly from the original owner, not a dealer. 22,000 miles, full service history. Owner sold it to me because his new Shark Blue Cayman T is due to be delivered in a week or two.

Rhodium Silver, black leather. PDK, 19" Boxster S wheels, Premium Pkg Plus, rear spoiler and door handles in gloss black. Spray-on PPF (ClarityCoat) on the entire front clip, rockers and rear fenders up to the seams. Four new Conti Extreme Contact Sport within the last 1000 miles.

Not much not to like. The black spoiler and door handles don't do much for me, but I'll wait a while to see if they grow on me before deciding on a change.

View attachment 39209

View attachment 39210
Beautiful car, same colour as mine. I'd change the door handles - but what a two-car garage that is!!!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Beautiful car, same colour as mine. I'd change the door handles - but what a two-car garage that is!!!
Personally, if I had the door handles painted I'd get the intakes painted to body color at the same time. Otherwise I'd keep them both as they are now.

Lovely set of cars!

MOO & FWIW

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
My T is my 10th Porsche . . . but I've been buying Porsches since the 70's. :oops:

Very cool Cayman but I would have a hard time getting rid of that beautiful 911.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Two beautiful cars! Clarity coat is an intriguing product I didn't know existed. I'd love to know whether it self heals like traditional PPF and how easy it is to remove for reapplication over time, such as 5 to 10 years.

I suspect your new 718 will make the transition from your 911 to the Cayman effectively regret free. Glad to have you aboard!

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think Clarity Coat is as self healing as some better films. It does have pretty good gloss even after almost 3 years on the car.

Made the first change, disabled the Soundaktor today. Will be ordering a pair of clear side markers and 4 new lug bolts (to replace the wheel locks) soon.

Still uncertain about the black spoiler and door handles. Posted a Wanted ad in the classified area.

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
959 Posts
Very meaningful words coming from an old stalwart! Would love to hear your personal impressions compared to the various prior Porsche models you have owned.

Which 911 is that in your garage? Gorgeous. I love my 718 but it is no classic... yet!

·
Premium Member
2022 Spyder
2,848 Posts
Oh, that is so cool!!! I'd love to do something like that with an old Mercedes. In fact, I have Mercedes that are in far better shape than your "before" pictures, but also not nearly as nice as your "after" pictures! If I could get one of my Mercedes to look like any of your cars, I'd be thrilled.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Well, it's kinda what I do for kicks. On many forums that I participate in I'm known as a "serial car rescuer" as I do it over and over.

Here's a couple other examples:
View attachment 39298
View attachment 39299
View attachment 39300
View attachment 39301
I am in awe!

I once did a frame off restoration on my '69 Datsun 2000, with the intention of gaining the knowledge required to do the same on our 1960 Olds 98 Conv. The Datsun was fairly easy and turned out great, but I quickly tired of cut knuckles, pinched fingers, inhaling caustic chemicals, and those flakes of rust that felt like Brillo pads in my eyes.

Your after pictures are awesome. You have an amazing gift that will benefit automotive enthusiasts for generations to come. Thanks for all the hard work that makes this possible!

Reactions: JFAtlanta

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last night with this garage setup. The 911 should be picked up by the transporter later today, and then the Cayman will move to that side (as the approach on the left is more friendly to low clearance vehicles). Then next week when the Bunny Truck gets home, the Cayman will move to my in-laws' garage while I reassemble the VW.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

1 - 20 of 31 Posts