Porsche 718 Forum banner

Introducing my 5th Porsche

7K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  TripleL 
#1 · (Edited)
It's not really what the thread title makes it sound like. I've never owned more than 2 at the same time...

Yesterday I picked up my new-to-me 718 Cayman. I'm well pleased with it so far.

One owner 2018 718 Cayman, first delivered in May 2019 so it still has 15 months original warranty remaining. Bought directly from the original owner, not a dealer. 22,000 miles, full service history. Owner sold it to me because his new Shark Blue Cayman T is due to be delivered in a week or two.

Rhodium Silver, black leather. PDK, 19" Boxster S wheels, Premium Pkg Plus, rear spoiler and door handles in gloss black. Spray-on PPF (ClarityCoat) on the entire front clip, rockers and rear fenders up to the seams. Four new Conti Extreme Contact Sport within the last 1000 miles.

Not much not to like. The black spoiler and door handles don't do much for me, but I'll wait a while to see if they grow on me before deciding on a change.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire

See less See more
#6 ·
It's not really what the thread title makes it sound like. I've never owned more than 2 at the same time...

But yesterday I picked up my new-to-me 718 Cayman. I'm well pleased with it so far.

One owner 2018 718 Cayman, first delivered in May 2019 so it still has 15 months original warranty remaining. Bought directly from the original owner, not a dealer. 22,000 miles, full service history. Owner sold it to me because his new Shark Blue Cayman T is due to be delivered in a week or two.

Rhodium Silver, black leather. PDK, 19" Boxster S wheels, Premium Pkg Plus, rear spoiler and door handles in gloss black. Spray-on PPF (ClarityCoat) on the entire front clip, rockers and rear fenders up to the seams. Four new Conti Extreme Contact Sport within the last 1000 miles.

Not much not to like. The black spoiler and door handles don't do much for me, but I'll wait a while to see if they grow on me before deciding on a change.

View attachment 39209

View attachment 39210
Beautiful car, same colour as mine. I'd change the door handles - but what a two-car garage that is!!!

#10 ·
Two beautiful cars! Clarity coat is an intriguing product I didn't know existed. I'd love to know whether it self heals like traditional PPF and how easy it is to remove for reapplication over time, such as 5 to 10 years.

I suspect your new 718 will make the transition from your 911 to the Cayman effectively regret free. Glad to have you aboard!

#11 ·
I don't think Clarity Coat is as self healing as some better films. It does have pretty good gloss even after almost 3 years on the car.

Made the first change, disabled the Soundaktor today. Will be ordering a pair of clear side markers and 4 new lug bolts (to replace the wheel locks) soon.

Still uncertain about the black spoiler and door handles. Posted a Wanted ad in the classified area.

#12 ·
Very meaningful words coming from an old stalwart! Would love to hear your personal impressions compared to the various prior Porsche models you have owned.

Which 911 is that in your garage? Gorgeous. I love my 718 but it is no classic... yet!

#19 ·
I am in awe!

I once did a frame off restoration on my '69 Datsun 2000, with the intention of gaining the knowledge required to do the same on our 1960 Olds 98 Conv. The Datsun was fairly easy and turned out great, but I quickly tired of cut knuckles, pinched fingers, inhaling caustic chemicals, and those flakes of rust that felt like Brillo pads in my eyes.

Your after pictures are awesome. You have an amazing gift that will benefit automotive enthusiasts for generations to come. Thanks for all the hard work that makes this possible!

#17 ·
Oh, that is so cool!!! I'd love to do something like that with an old Mercedes. In fact, I have Mercedes that are in far better shape than your "before" pictures, but also not nearly as nice as your "after" pictures! If I could get one of my Mercedes to look like any of your cars, I'd be thrilled.

#20 ·
Last night with this garage setup. The 911 should be picked up by the transporter later today, and then the Cayman will move to that side (as the approach on the left is more friendly to low clearance vehicles). Then next week when the Bunny Truck gets home, the Cayman will move to my in-laws' garage while I reassemble the VW.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

#21 · (Edited)
Upgraded the bright amber side markers the other day, and replaced the wheel locks with real lug bolts. (After 25 years working in tires, I'm firmly of the opinion that wheel locks are only good for keeping the owners and authorized service people from removing the wheels.)

Here's a question I probably already know the answer to: I don't suppose there is any way to have the car default to Sport mode on start? Or should I just get used to punching the Sport button every time I start it?
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

#22 ·
I have to start off in Normal because I live in a condo with an underground garage, and I usually wait on Sport until I'm almost to the property line before joining the rest of the motoring public, however if you have PSE also, the difference in sound is a major reminder to switch into Sport mode (which is my normal operating status [and sounds like yours]). There may be an electronic gizmo that will do what you want, or maybe even a tune, but I don't know.

#23 ·
#24 · (Edited)
5 weeks in. For one reason or another, I haven't had a lot of time to drive the Cayman much, until yesterday. But that does not mean I've ignored the car all this time. I've driven it a little now and then, de-badged the rear bumper (and carefully removed the hard water spots all around where the badges were), and ordered a full set of radiator and intake grill screens. The screens are supposed to arrive late this week. I've also decided that I'm going to keep the gloss black spoiler and door handles, at least for now.

Yesterday was the first opportunity for a "real" drive. I drove it to a Porsche Cars & Coffee in Medford, 350 miles round trip. The group in Medford is part of my PCA Region (Cascade), but due the the distance the members in the two population centers rarely get together. Taking a drive in my Cayman was a great excuse to go visit.

The route consisted of a variety of roads. Some freeway, but a fair amount of pleasantly twisty secondary roads. And the car just ate it all up. Neutral handling, not a lot of body roll, tons of grip, incredibly responsive steering, firm but not harsh ride, and 31 MPG to boot. Just a fantastic car to get out and drive - anywhere.
Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Hood

#25 ·
If I leave my car in Sport mode (Cayman S w PASM-S) my car stinks of unburned fuel outside and I get 18 mpg. With premium costing $4.30-$5.05 a gallon where I live that’s a lot of money for a few extra pops and burbles. I save sport mode for spirited driving and if/when I’ll be going to the track.

#26 · (Edited)
Good point. I left it in Normal for most of the trip, which may have been a factor in the mileage. I do prefer the quicker shifts and better shift map for the PDK in Sport, but if that is going to kill the fuel economy I'll save that for the more aggressive drives. As you note, closing in on $5 per gallon isn't enough to stop me from driving, but if I can avoid unnecessary fuel use without a big compromise, why not?

#29 ·
Last weekend, gathered for a local PCA drive. Mine next to the Shark Blue T that my car's prior owner bought. Mid-engines outnumbered the rear-engine cars for this drive - two 986 Boxsters, two 981 Boxsters, one 981 Cayman and two 718 Caymans. Two normal 911s, and one GT2RS joined us partway through the drive.
Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

#31 ·
Great pics! We do some PCA drives and they are always a good time. Just a thought but I usually 'take one for the team' and pull over at a picturesque spot and snap a few pics of the group driving by for the memory book.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.