Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
My last fill up I got 23.2 or something like that. My commute is a mixture of hilly, rural 2 lane stuff, a short blast on a 4 lane at 75mph and then stop and go for a couple of blocks once I get into town. This is with the base 2.0L and like with any other turbo motor once the turbo is making boost it's using more gasoline and fuel economy will drop. The upside is that sustained cruising in 7th gear can easily return over 30mpg which I think is fantastic in a car that is this much fun and has this much capability.

OP if you want better gas mileage you will need to drive it more conservatively. That being said, driving it like you are (in a very fun and entertaining way) and still getting 18.5 mpg is not at all bad. By way of comparison the Macan GTS I just traded in got about 19mpg in Normal mode without having much fun at all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Matters a bit for me. I use it daily. I wouldnt drive daily a car that does 5.8 mpg (as great as the car is). And if I didnt have a daily use for a car, I probably wouldnt buy it at all.
Its just great to get such a good car, with so good performance, and still a very decent mpg.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a few vehicles that average the household mpg to a reasonable number. Still, not bad for a sports car, but terrible for a 2.0 liter car.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don’t mean to be flippant. It’s just that this car, for the majority, is a recreational/fun car. Most that drive it, even if daily, aren’t pinching pennies. If I’m getting between 20-30 mpg, frankly, that’s cool with me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As long as the mpg is as least in the second half of the 20s, it qualify as "decent" to me : ) . Any lower than that I would probably pass.
Ho joy I dont have to chose between a great car and a decent (to me) mpg, the 718 gives me both.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
OP if you want better gas mileage you will need to drive it more conservatively. That being said, driving it like you are (in a very fun and entertaining way) and still getting 18.5 mpg is not at all bad. By way of comparison the Macan GTS I just traded in got about 19mpg in Normal mode without having much fun at all.
You are correct. I now realize that spirited driving is in the eye of the beholder and what may be considered as hair raising by one could be considered a leisurely slow drive by another. If 718's are the same in the way they handle gas then your MPG could actually be a measure of how spirited a driver you are and so might be a quotable statistic as part of our profile LOL

But let’s be real...does it matter?
It actually does not except for a couple of points
1. I guess the reason for my original post was a bit of concern that so many posters were posting spirited driving but were getting consumption I wasn't even close to and was it possible that there was an issue with my car and how it was handling gas. It seems that is likely not the case although as was pointed out I do need to experiment with what happens to my driving and consumption when leaving more to the PDK

2. While not a tree hugger I do care about the environment and while it will not absolutely curtail my drive and my car choices I would prefer to be doing a little more in that area.

BUT.....

Then the "OMG" of getting into that car at the end of a long day and after warming it up taking it home through a non built up non residential area and letting it sing to me in only the way it can sing at >3K RPMS. Every care washes away and I am totally involved in a car that really does amazing things. The monetary difference between my MPG and a slightly better MPG of say 23 for the kind of routes I drive are not that dramatic and so at the end of the day if I can afford it ( cheaper than therapy) and I do it in a safe way and I know I am not messing up my car then the answer is NO it absolutely doesn't matter.

The amazing thing about this brand in general and the 718 more specifically is that we have people getting 12 MPG to 37 MPG, we have people using it 15K miles a year and other using it 1K miles a year and yet every one of us gets our smile from it - wish the world was that simple and that accepting

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live at 8,000' and my base PDK averages 34-36 mpg in all-around driving. My bikes get 60-70 mpg. In my case, the altitude helps.

·
Super Moderator
709 Posts
Matters a bit for me. I use it daily. I wouldnt drive daily a car that does 5.8 mpg (as great as the car is). And if I didnt have a daily use for a car, I probably wouldnt buy it at all.
Its just great to get such a good car, with so good performance, and still a very decent mpg.
If you drove the Mustang at 5.8 mpg, you wouldn’t do it for long...

You’d lose your license, your car or your life... A matter of luck of the draw...

My typical city cycle in the Mustang was around 14-15 mpg, 18-20 mpg in the freeway and around 10 rowing the gears in the Hill Country. Until the brakes scared me that is... which was often with the beast...

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you drove the Mustang at 5.8 mpg, you wouldn’t do it for long...

You’d lose your license, your car or your life... A matter of luck of the draw...

My typical city cycle in the Mustang was around 14-15 mpg, 18-20 mpg in the freeway and around 10 rowing the gears in the Hill Country. Until the brakes scared me that is... which was often with the beast...
Aye, I was just picking an above example.
Those figure 14- 15 and 18 - 20 is were I draw the line for what is acceptable mpg wise.
And also the main reason I didnt get a Mustang even so I really like the car.
Very happy with my Cayman mpg though. Better than my Range Rover was!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I guess my range on my base Cayman is 24-34 mpg on country roads and then on long trips. On track weekends, because I drive it two and from the track, I get about 13 mpg. I'm figuring track alone is less.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fuel is the cheapest aspect of owning a vehicle like this, if I was conscious of running costs I would of bought something else
Ha ha. Clearly you don't live in Canada where premiuim fuel can be almost CDN$ 2 per litre -- US$5.68 per US gallon. Sometimes it cost me $90 to fill 'er up. And I do that four times a month in the summer when I'm daily driving. By comparison, my insurance is "only" $77 for the entire month.

·
Registered
132 Posts
@718Niko...I concur, the Metric System is definitely better and was totally jazzed in the late 60's (or early 70's) when we (USA) were told conversion implementation was imminent.

My DD Suburban never ceases to amaze my friends and family in achieving 17 to 18 (USA) mpg...then again, our BS gets less, usually far less. Regardless, the BS mileage is a total non-issue for ME. While I am the sole driver of both (99% of the time), they have two very different purposes and are driven with two very different attitudes.

No, I'm not schizo...but, I am beginning to question the sanity of my right foot 🙃

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven’t paid close attention but fwiw I guess I get mid 20s mpg (US) around town in a mix of street and highway driving - predominantly in normal mode (PDK).

I get about 9 MPG on the track in Sport+ according to the computer.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I went for a bit of a spirited drive today in the "twisties" with a bit of motorway on the way home--7.2 litres/100 km or 32+ mpg (US).

21 - 40 of 45 Posts