Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was wondering about fuel consumption and see reports of people getting 25, 30, 35 MPG.

I drive in a spirited fashion in sport only.
Very few highways
I have a new 4 month old 4K miles (broken in proper) PDK Base which I almost exclusively drive in manual mode

from a RPM POV I am:
6K a couple of times per drive
5K-6K 15% of the time
4K - 5K RPM 20% of the time
3K - 4K 30 % of the time
2.5K - 3K 35% of the time
2K - 2.5K 15% of the time
<2K ummm never

I am rarely in 7th gear

My average full consumption is around 18.5 MPG.
Is it really possible to get 30+ MPG aside from driving on a long highway in regular mode and in 7th gear at 60MPH on a windless day
Even when I am a "good boy" on a couple of my rides I cant seem to break 20 MPG

This is based on actual mileage with actual gallons pumped.

If this is to be expected I am fine with it - the extra gas per year is a minor part of the Porsche tax but just wondering if there is an issue with the car. Drives like magic and at 4K miles I would have expected the gas consumption to have evened out and even though I respected break in my consumption was not that different during breakin although I did not break 4.5K RPM's I still did spend most of the drives in the 2.5K-4K range

Thanks
I've frequently gotten 30 mph in Sport mode in 2018 718B driving from NYC down the New Jersey Turnpike. Once you get up to speed, the efficiency is pretty **** good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I DID IT !!!!!! As the OP who initially expressed surprise/concern at my consumption numbers I took my car onto the NJ turnpike. Set the speedometer at 67 MPH in regular mode and speed control and sat there in the right hand lane while every car passed me and looked at me quizzically as if to say "Really, really??". The reflected number when I got off at the next exit was 39.6MPG...wooohoooo.. I did it although honestly I don't think I ever want to do that again. Was torture having an empty road ahead of me.

On the reverse trip home I messed my numbers bad as I participated on the kick down vs double tap experiment being discussed on another thread and that messed up my numbers big time but Oh my was it fun.

Now that I know my car can do it I will be back to my 18-19 MPG that keeps that smile on my face

·
Registered
326 Posts
Now that I know my car can do it I will be back to my 18-19 MPG that keeps that smile on my face
It is of course always interesting to know how efficient your vehicle can be, but I would also chose fun over efficiency when driving a sportscar :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts

That was from my Mustang GT.

Note the satanic coincidences:

a) Mileage: 6666.6

b) The red line is at 6666

c) If you divide the consumption average by 3 you get 6.0666

Coincidence?:oops::eek::devilish:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just did a 1400 mile drive in my Boxster S, average speed according to trip computer was 70mph and got 25,5 mpg.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With my commute which consists of rush hour traffic where it takes me between 1-1.5 hours to drive 16 miles, I feel lucky to be getting 18mpg average. Spirited driving times gets it even worse. But the times I take longer trips on the highway where I can cruise at 70-80mph I've been getting around 26-28 mpg. I have the GTS which is listed to have the worst fuel economy of the 3 models so a base or the S should have slightly better numbers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
With my commute which consists of rush hour traffic where it takes me between 1-1.5 hours to drive 16 miles

😱

41 - 53 of 53 Posts