Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 718 GTS 4.0
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flat six here.

I’ve been avoiding using the car for short trips to the store or coffee because I read somewhere about how it’s not great for the engine.

Does that have any merit? Is this actually something I should consider?

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
964 Posts
personally believe, short hops and starting daily would be better than not at all ?
Swings and roundabouts I think really here, yes short hops could then reduce life of your battery BUT as long - imho - before blasting it you are up to temp, a short daily hop should do no more harm.
These cars are meant to be driven and therefore, should be :cool:
Again, from my own POV, short trips to the store are a daily occurrence, I do then have longer blasts at the weekends and at least once a month a proper 2/3 hour drive to get to somewhere - maybe I have the correct formula there ?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Flat six here.

I’ve been avoiding using the car for short trips to the store or coffee because I read somewhere about how it’s not great for the engine.

The remedy would be to take a longer route to get your coffee, enjoy the coffee, then take a longer route home or to work or to wherever you were going to go in the first place. If questioned by anyone such as your spouse, significant other, boss, or etc just say it is to prolong the life of your battery and engine. It's a valid excuse.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Flat six here.

It's better to have longer trips for sure but short trips ok as long as you throw some long ones in there periodically. Personally driving mine is therapeutic and I will drive just to pick up lunch 5 miles away but I will drive 60 miles on the weekend. Enjoy it and just throw a king trip every now and then.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,104 Posts
Here's one opinion

I always drive long enough to get the engine oil up to operating temperature.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Flat six here.

during the initial 2,000 mile break-in recommendation (in owners manual) - the internal parts go through heat cycles and the thermal expansion that takes place during warm up and use at operating temperatures

One of the things that I highly recommend (similar to @OttawaSteve) it get the oil to temperature and drive several miles of a trip, after the oil has reached operating temperature - this drives out condensation that occurs during warm-up.
- that condensation goes into vapor, and drawn out via the PCV system as part of the engine operation.

In cooler ambient temperature (i.e. winter) it can take a much longer time for oil to reach operating temperature...

oil sludging occurs from short drives and another cause can be from oil change intervals beyond what should be done

cold starts and warm-up are the periods of the greatest wear of an engine

·
Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,054 Posts
Flat six here.

If you don't drive more than 30 minutes or so, your AGM battery will eventually die on you. Not necessarily fatal, mind you, but you won't be able to start the car.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'll also throw in - longer trips also get the condensation out of the exhaust - you'd be surprised how much water condenses in a cold exhaust system!

with short trips, it puddles inside the muffler / silencer box. Fully warmed up, the hot exhaust gases drive off the condensate which helps prevent it from rotting out

·
Registered
383 Posts
Its been covered several times above, but for the exact reasons stated, if you intend to keep the car in best working order then I would keep short trips (where the oil doesnt get to operating temp) to "only when unavoidable" and make sure the car gets a longer run between them if possible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Depends on how you define short trip. Short in distance? Short in Time? Short in Fun?

I'm still in the waiting room, but can't imagine any trip in my Boxster will be short enough in fun to cause problems. Even a route to the store and back can become down the twisty road straight to the twisty road up to the straight road to Publix. While the trip is technically short, less than 15 miles, the car will definately get up to temperature. And the way back even more so.

A 5 minute boring down a straight road to come back the same way, sure that may cause problems for your Porsche, but probably also for your mental health owning a Porsche.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I dunno, my car got to temp in about 2 miles of driving. The other thing I found is that it stays at temp longer than I'd have guessed. I've gotten in my car 2 hours after it's been sitting and found it over 170 F numerous times.

FWIW.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I dunno, my car got to temp in about 2 miles of driving. The other thing I found is that it stays at temp longer than I'd have guessed. I've gotten in my car 2 hours after it's been sitting and found it over 170 F numerous times.

FWIW.
it will depend on the ambient temperatures as well

one car is all aluminum alloy engine - in winter temperatures parked for a hour or better, coolant temperature drops quickly (oil sump is all aluminum alloy as well)

my other one with cast iron block / aluminum heads - it holds coolant temp longer. But the cast aluminum oil pan sheds oil temperature more so

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I dunno, my car got to temp in about 2 miles of driving.
I don't know if the displayed engine temperature, which is really the water coolant temperature, is the issue here. It's more the exhaust system which is heated by the exhaust. But it does seem likely that the exhaust would heat up pretty quickly too.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
852 Posts
Flat six here.

Back when I bought my 2005 911S, the dealer GM who was an engineer by training told me that - for the first 1,500 miles - "don't turn the key unless you are going to drive the car for at least 15-20+ minutes". He acknowledged that Porsche was having issues with rear main seal leaks (RMS), but that proper break in significantly reduced the risk. Critical to break in was getting to and keeping the car at operating temperature before shutting it down. I had my 911S for 6 years with no RMS issues and even though that may have been luck, I continue to follow that break in advice. Post break in, I still think it makes sense, but less necessary.

·
Registered
867 Posts
You all worry too much. These aren’t fragile little things. Just go drive your cars.
I absolutely positively completely agree with this!!!! My Boxster is my daily driver and I purchased it exactly for that purpose. Some trips are short and temps do not reach steady state but even on very short trips temps quickly get into mid or high 100s degrees F. I do not know if temps will increase so quickly in northern winter climes like Upstate NY for example. I guess this is probably sufficient to drive off moisture that might form evil acids but I really do not care one iota as the next trip that day or the next day will do the job. These cars are not fragile so just enjoy the things and no need to worry so much, IMO.

If you don't drive more than 30 minutes or so, your AGM battery will eventually die on you.
I think I have a different opinion. The total energy drained from the battery when starting is actually quite small as it only cranks, albeit at high current, for just a few seconds. This energy is replaced very quickly. Even assuming a terrible recharging efficiency, and a long starting time of 3 seconds, it does not take long at all to pump that energy back into the battery. Say 400 Amps (pure guess but probably very high) and 3 seconds is 1200 amp-seconds. Take this over say 5 or 10 minutes and it translates to a reasonable charging current, even with poor efficiency, to put it back in the battery. My experience a few years back when I was in Upstate NY during the winter supported this. At zero or subzero temps in early morning I would start the 2011 X3 I then had and immediately turn on a ton of electrical load. I only had a quick 7 mile trip to the plant. Same coming home and that was about all the car was driven all winter as there is not much to do in Oswego, NY. Never had a battery problem.

I just read charging efficiency for an AGM battery is greater than 85%; much higher than a standard wet lead acid battery.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Actually, what @JazzCatGab wrote is technically correct. If you don't drive more than 30 minutes the battery will eventually die. If you do drive more than 30 minutes it will eventually die. It's what they do. Batteries are consumables.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts