Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
The issue with short trips is not getting the oil hot enough to vaporize the water and fuel that have been diluted into it. Water ends up in there from condensation and fuel gets it past the rings, especially on cold starts. Oil has to get to at least 212F to start clearing these dilutants. So as long as you get a long drive in on occasion, you should be fine. If you're really driving only short stints, change the oil more frequently.

-- Ed

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
842 Posts
Note: I have an MBA, not an MS in Materials Science or Chemistry, so consider my qualifications to comment. That said, when I purchased my first Porsche, a 2005 911S, I was advised that short runs, especially during break in, were bad for TWO reasons. First is the burn off of water and fuel in the oil and exhaust system as others have stated. Second, and perhaps more importantly during break-in, is allowing ALL of the engine and related components, seals, gaskets, etc to get up to (and maintain) full operating temperature, thereby expanding fully, and "seating" properly.

My original selling dealer owner (who had worked as an engineer at the factory), claimed that he never saw a 911 that had been broken in properly have the notorious RMS leaks. The dealership was located in Hunt Valley outside of Baltimore and catered to a large number of doctors living in the area that worked at Johns Hopkins (3 miles/5 minutes away). The owner said he could tell form the start who would follow his break in advice and who wouldn't. Those that did nothing but short hops to/from work during break in were the ones most likely to come back with RMS leaks.

My original dealer's advice has stuck with me, and I have continued to follow that rule during break for all of our cars. Past break in, not so much, but along with shorter drives, I still make sure to get in a few longer drives on weekends with my wife. Good for the car.... and the marriage. ;)

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Actually, what @JazzCatGab wrote is technically correct. If you don't drive more than 30 minutes the battery will eventually die. If you do drive more than 30 minutes it will eventually die. It's what they do. Batteries are consumables.
LOL!!! And touché! I keep mine on a NOCO 5-Amp smart charger whenever it's parked in the garage. Love their modular stuff. Works like a charm...and has an AGM setting. Don't know if it'll prolong the life of the battery or not...however at least I know it's fully charged when I start the car...or at least charged as much as the battery will take a charge. You can see it mounted on the wall on the right side of my Spyder. And yes...that 8' ladder in the photo is VERY SECURELY ATTACHED to the garage wall!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The only unavoidable cause of death is birth……..
Which guarantees yet another death. But it's the space in between that matters.

That will be 5 cents please. (A reference to Lucy in Peanuts. I know, I'm dating myself with that one.)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts