Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
174 Posts
Fully flesh out the experience you want to end up with in your head and then look at budget. Do you want something to mod? The best handling car - on street or track? Will you track it? Even the base 987's can sound incredible. Having a second car as your fun car can let you do things like throw extremely aggressive brake pads on for insane stopping power that would make too much noise for a daily driven car. You can go catless as you won't have to endure the smell every day. You have lots of opportunities.

Our Project 987.2 Cayman R sees both street, show, and track duty as a multi-purpose weapon. We're happy to chat with you if you want to go over any and all options.

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,778 Posts
Good plan! Each model has its own soul!
I have this model when I want normally asperated five speed fun! View attachment 25486
If you EVER find yourself in a position to have to sell that, PLEASE contact me. I mean it. That's, like, THE dream short of a mid-70s Targa in dark blue.

LOVELY!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So with nothing else to do today I thought I would update the thread.

I landed up getting a cheapish 996 with 100K miles. Arrived with some undisclosed issues that the buyer did not disclose but for the most part is a really nice car. It is a 2002 Targa and is a lot of fun to drive

When compared to my 718 which is way more powerful and way more solid and way more sturdy the 996 is kind of a little like my old miata but with a way better sounding engine and a lot more power.

I use the 996 for weekends and small trips around time but for serious driving I stick to the 718.

I was not and still am not one of those that have an issue with the 718 engine noise and I love them both but there is something to be said about the fact that the 996 engine loves to rev and loves to let you know that it is reving.
I spend almost all of my time above 3-4K and even at legal or just above legal city speeds the car in those Rev ranges is fun and loud and the pickup/acceleration from 4K Revs is really cool. The handling is not nearly as good as the 718 and at highway speeds does not feel nearly as sturdy.

Because it is 18 years old I have no issue with it sitting in parking lots and since it already has battle scars a couple more wont hurt.

It was definitely an impulse buy and right now with what is going on it is really nice to be able to get into the car and buzz around town.

Turns out you can have your cake and eat it too......

·
Registered
77 Posts
After yearning for decades after a Porsche I finally got my baby last year. A brand spanking new 2019 Boxster Base. I love it and 7 months later and 6500 miles later ( most of the miles pure joy riding) I love it more and more. I love my PDK, love the power, love the sound and love everything about it. Not for a moment do I regret the PDK and for daily driving it is the best of both worlds. I look for errands to run and getting into that car is therapeutic

And yet I find myself wanting to expand my stable.
My 718 even as a base is a rocket but I found myself thinking that a Porsche that wasn't as fast, that needed to be really reved out before it will sing, that even at full hilt will not be crazy fast might make for a really fun weekend car in addition to my 718

So I started thinking
996 - Cheap but still major issues if IMS is not resolved - will run me 30K and more
997 - Pricey but still has some IMS and bore score issues and for a decent one will run me 45K
Also I love the mid engine platform and sometimes think 997/996/911 are over hyped - I know I am treading on dangerous ground

986 Boxster - Already have a boxster and IMS Issues
987.1 Cayman S - IMS not a significant issue but Bore score an issue - Price around 30K
987.2 Cayman or Cayman S - No bore score issues or IMS on either but perhaps a little pricey for another P car

That left me with the 987.1 Base Cayman - Minimal risk of IMS, no risk of Bore score, not overly powerful and fast, 5 gears only and so I would get to let those gears and engine really sing to me at speeds only a little above legal and most affordable - 18 - 20K

So two questions.

Will I truly get to enjoy both cars for their differences or will I in short order say to myself: Yup 718 is by far better and then get bored with the 987
Second question should I get two of the same car or should I try the rear engine 911 although at price point would need to be a 996

I know none of you can truly answer but it would be interesting especially from those who were 987 owners in the past
I had a 987 and got a 2017 718 Boxster. The only reason to go back to an older model is if it offered something you missed. Having owned the 987 there is nothing about it that I miss. People talk about the sound, but I almost never heard that sound because you had to be up around 6 or 7 thousand RPM to enjoy it and with my driving, I would only be there for a few seconds each day if at all. The low RPM torque would be so missed if you went back, you would leave the 987 in the garage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I had a 987 and got a 2017 718 Boxster. The only reason to go back to an older model is if it offered something you missed. Having owned the 987 there is nothing about it that I miss. People talk about the sound, but I almost never heard that sound because you had to be up around 6 or 7 thousand RPM to enjoy it and with my driving, I would only be there for a few seconds each day if at all. The low RPM torque would be so missed if you went back, you would leave the 987 in the garage.
Ritchieg, I was advised as well that the change down from 718 to 987 would not be that different and certainly not in a positive way and so as you will see from the thread above I went 996. It is a totally different experience and I do love the difference but no doubt my 718 is the favored child

One thing it did confirm for me is that the Base 718 for even spirted off track driving is absolutely more than enough.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts