Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
having the car for just over a month now but i find it annoying/concerning how people when you pull up to a stop light pull right up to your bumper! i thought it was just a few times but i find it happening alot now. i don't know if it's because the way the car slopes down in the back or because i have no rear seats anymore. but everytime i pull up to a stop light when a car pulls behind me their headlights are like right on my back glass! feels like they're right on my bumper. maybe they're actually sitting pretty far but from my perspective i feel like they're going to bump me lol! do you guys feel the same way and just got use to it or is it these driver's doing this for the fact i'm in a Porsche and doing it to piss me off lol!

Super Moderator
All you have to do is go to the "Tube" and watch some videos of how many cars get involved when the last car in a stopped line gets clobbered to realise that this behaviour is quite "normal". This is despite the recommendations that the correct stopped distance allows you to see the wheels of the car ahead touch the road.
I think the size and height of the 718 just makes this more obvious and threatening.馃槼

Registered
It may just be perception in that when you look through your rear view mirror the car behind you seems closer because your car is so small and the distance between your view and the back of your car is smaller. Think about your 5 series and the distance from you to the back of the car with rear seats and a large trunk between you. You lose most of that with the 718. So really, the cars behind you are the same distance to your car but physically closer you in the drivers seat.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
It may just be perception in that when you look through your rear view mirror the car behind you seems closer because your car is so small and the distance between your view and the back of your car is smaller. Think about your 5 series and the distance from you to the back of the car with rear seats and a large trunk between you. You lose most of that with the 718. So really, the cars behind you are the same distance to your car but physically closer you in the drivers seat.
that's what i thought. gotta get use to this than lol

Registered
I have a manual trans, so I like to ease off of the brake and roll back a bit, to make my point clear. :sneaky: Yes, there are still a few stick shifters out there!

Registered
I have a manual trans, so I like to ease off of the brake and roll back a bit, to make my point clear. :sneaky: Yes, there are still a few stick shifters out there!
Good point. I think as sticks get rarer over the years, younger drivers (in particular) aren't aware that the car in front of them may roll back at them a little when the light turns green. "Back in the old days" I think drivers naturally built in a little buffer because of that. Now, on flat surfaces, I'll come to a stop and take my foot off the brake and when a car pulls into the turning lane behind me I'll brake again just to show them I'm not moving. That seems to work. At least, that's my reassuring self delusion.

Reactions: Graustark

Registered
It may be true that drivers pull up closer to a small car than to a larger one. But that may also be just the front driver's perception because of the lower seating position. It's like health food that doesn't make you live any longer, just makes it seem longer. The car behind just seems closer.

Now, what bugs me is when the driver behind has his high beams on and the vehicle is a big pickup truck with headlights exactly at my mirror height. Yow.

Also when drivers in front of me don't pull up far enough at first, then creep up a little, then creep up a little more, then creep up a little more. Why not just pull up to a good distance right away and then stop?

When I first started driving small cars (about 1971 in a Fiat 124 Spider) I wondered why everyone coming toward me at night kept their high beams on. Then I realized my lower seating position made all the lights brighter in my eyes. I had to learn to live with it, one of the downsides to driving a sports car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts