Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you have about 20 minutes to spare, check out this video (it has nothing to do with Porsche as such, but everything to do with first impressions) by one of Road & Track's contributors about his first drive in the new C8 Corvette. This is a guy who drives cars for a living. The way he reacts (video during the drive vs. post drive analysis) is interesting and instructive:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, that was an interesting watch. What I've heard about the lack of braking ability, understeer and drivers connection means a no brainer decision to hang onto the CS that does all of the above so well. Would be like trading in for lesser babka. "I think not.."

·
Registered
390 Posts
It MAY be that someone higher up had a word with that tester after the video was posted.....
All of that excitement during the track session is not to be believed?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I suppose anything is possible although the sentiment seems to be consistent with other reviews. Skid pad #s don't even come close to the previous model. So, I'll think I'll sit this one out instead given the knowns vs unknowns. Kinda rekindled my relationship with my CS again ?

·
Registered
529 Posts
All of that excitement during the track session is not to be believed?
I think it is absolutely to be believed - in context, which is one of the reasons why he made the postlogue. This dichotomy of reactions is exactly what makes this video so valuable.

The C8 is the subject of so much hype and anticipation that most every person who gets into one for the first time is going to be suffering from immense expectation bias. That's what you saw in the raw video (it's not because he never drove a fast car before). I think he exclaims "This is a mid-engined Corvette!" several times. Well, duh. Expectation bias for the new drivetrain made the car seem more exciting than it really was.

He is well-versed in performance cars, so that when the kid-on-Christmas juices went away, what the car is really like became his focus. And he was much less than thrilled once the rest of his brain started having it's say.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's because of the C8 that I purchased my 718.

I haven't paid much attention to sports cars for 30+ years, but when they said "mid-engine Vette" that got me thinking.

I don't care for Vette's, but mid-engine, maybe. Then while ordering my wife's 2020 Macan, I saw the 718's for the first time. How cool is that 718, just perfect, got one, love it.

My brother stores his C5 & C7 in our warehouse which I may use as I please. Other than a test drive, I just never cared for them. I could be happy with a mid-engine Vette, but EVERYONE has a Vette. Love the little 718.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Agree. Not my jam, but I love that variety is out there. Like a Nissan Cube I saw with a "got toast?" sticker. Nice to see another mid-engine choice out there.
My 2021 Cayman GTS will be delivered to my home on Tuesday. Are you the only one in Austin with a GTS 4.0?

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
751 Posts
My 2021 Cayman GTS will be delivered to my home on Tuesday. Are you the only one in Austin with a GTS 4.0?
Possibly? My SA did however say that I was the first in Austin to get a GTS 4.0 though! I was in Houston a few months back and saw another white Cayman GTS 4.0 - young Asian woman driver was nice to see. It's not all old fogeys, maybe there is hope!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've seen a few C8s around here now, and consistently they catch my eye at a distance, and look sort of good at a distance. Then to my eye at least, they start looking really garish as you get closer. Very different aesthetic than Ferrari or Porsche or McLaren or even Mazda, which all look better to me. To each his own, of course.

I look forward to driving one to see how I feel about that.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts