Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I track my base about 15 times per year. Lately it seems that the only other 718s I come across are GTS.
Have all the S models retired from track duty as a result of heat soaked turbo actuators ?
What have you done if your a troubled S driver with these ailments, ?

I was aware of this concern when choosing my 718. GTS was above my budget so I went with a base and added mods.
Im now competitive with GTS all day long. Maybe I lucked out going this direction. I certainly saved a bunch of money.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I track my Cayman S about 6-7 times per year. No heat soaking issues for me, but I have not tuned my vehicle. I'm surprised you are able to keep up with the GTS drivers - good for you! I saw a GTS at my last PCA event that was pulling away from three GT3s - must have been tuned. Consistently pulling away lap-over-lap on those GT3s - very impressive. Didn't get a chance to talk to the owner.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think there are just less S models around. Numbers here in NZ indicate the base is the most popular model, followed by the GTS; from my perspective though the S was actually the sweet spot of the 718 F4T range.

Conversely if one looks at 911s, historically the 'S' is usually considered the must have variant although this is largely a historical preference. Since the introduction of the 991.2 many (myself included) consider the base model to be the sweet spot.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Up to the introduction of the GTS 4.0, the 718 choice was a brain twister...

One can see the attraction of the base 718 (price, power, handling). It was only a matter of time before they started being tracked. Not GT3 slayers, but they can handle most of the field with aplomb...

Then you have the 2.5 lt choice (more power, handling). The apex IS the GTS, it gets bundled what you need for the track. The S on the other hand, can be had for $10-15k less, with minor differences in engine performance, but with a good list of options to make it match (not entirely) the GTS. If I were buying new with my spec, I'd spring for the GTS.

It is understandable that a guy that went for the base, would need another $30k to spring for the GTS.

Is the S the sweet spot for anyone?

Yes! For people like me. I got the horsepower, the better turbo, over the base and I can't use the (S)PASM, to get out of my gated community without bulldozing the road. I scrape with the S if I am not careful... I don't have any ambitions to track the car, so heat soak, third radiator, (S)PASM, Sport Chrono are not of consideration for me.

Would I be happy with a base?

Sure, ...but I got my S for a good price and 11k mi. + CPO.

The cheapskate in me won! :D :cool:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Up to the introduction of the GTS 4.0, the 718 choice was a brain twister...

One can see the attraction of the base 718 (price, power, handling). It was only a matter of time before they started being tracked. Not GT3 slayers, but they can handle most of the field with aplomb...

Then you have the 2.5 lt choice (more power, handling). The apex IS the GTS, it gets bundled what you need for the track. The S on the other hand, can be had for $10-15k less, with minor differences in engine performance, but with a good list of options to make it match (not entirely) the GTS. If I were buying new with my spec, I'd spring for the GTS.

It is understandable that a guy that went for the base, would need another $30k to spring for the GTS.

Is the S the sweet spot for anyone?

Yes! For people like me. I got the horsepower, the better turbo, over the base and I can't use the (S)PASM, to get out of my gated community without bulldozing the road. I scrape with the S if I am not careful... I don't have any ambitions to track the car, so heat soak, third radiator, (S)PASM, Sport Chrono are not of consideration for me.

Would I be happy with a base?

Sure, ...but I got my S for a good price and 11k mi. + CPO.

The cheapskate in me won! :D :cool:
For the first model year no GTS, so for some S with SPASM and PTV was the Apex. Also S can be optioned without Sport Chrono if you don't want rev matching.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I track my base about 15 times per year. Lately it seems that the only other 718s I come across are GTS.
Have all the S models retired from track duty as a result of heat soaked turbo actuators ?
What have you done if your a troubled S driver with these ailments, ?

I was aware of this concern when choosing my 718. GTS was above my budget so I went with a base and added mods.
Im now competitive with GTS all day long. Maybe I lucked out going this direction. I certainly saved a bunch of money.
I just got my base model a month ago...I plan to track it, and have already been autocrossing it. I didn't know what to look for when I was buying, because there are SO MANY options. I made the mistake of assuming that LSD would be in all models...but, it doesn't appear to be a deal breaker (yet).

May I ask what mods you've done to be competitive? I'm looking at KW HAS & Camber plates along with corner balancing it. A tune (not sure which is best at this point), and possibly exhaust or high flow cat. What else should a base model owner look at doing? I've got wheels and tires for the track...that's it. I'll mention that I was disappointed that the front Apex wheels (18x8.5) weighed in at 4 lbs heavier than the stock 19's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SOUL Sport Cat , APR Tune , BMC Filter, TechArt Springs , 18 Inch wheels , 2 degree negative camber , Ferodo Pads , Steel Braided brake lines , Custom brake cooling ducts , Ventilated underbelly pan for additional cooling , and most importantly the 25 years of track experience.

I ran a 964 back in the day with KW You can’t go wrong there . It was the ClubSport with the proper spring rates for my set up. Linear, not progressive

·
Registered
19 Posts
Excellent, thank you. I'm not sure if KW allows to go stiffer spring rates, but I always keep the same ratio as the manufacturer designed it for. I wouldn't go much stiffer anyway.... just a little lower.

I already have the BMC filter. Woohoo.

Question about the high flow cat. It seems like an expensive option, although I'm all for supporting good vendors. How come no one buy s a 200 cell cat and has it welded in? Seems like it can be done for less than $200.

I hope you're okay with sharing your ideas on how to do the custom brake ventilation and the underbelly vents. sounds like we're going the same direction. Although you have 20 more years experience on me!

·
Registered
165 Posts
SOUL Sport Cat , APR Tune , BMC Filter, TechArt Springs , 18 Inch wheels , 2 degree negative camber , Ferodo Pads , Steel Braided brake lines , Custom brake cooling ducts , Ventilated underbelly pan for additional cooling , and most importantly the 25 years of track experience.

I ran a 964 back in the day with KW You can’t go wrong there . It was the ClubSport with the proper spring rates for my set up. Linear, not progressive
How do you like the techart springs? Is this on the base suspension? My fear of lowering springs is that the ride always seems to be fine at first but degrade over time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do you like the techart springs? Is this on the base suspension? My fear of lowering springs is that the ride always seems to be fine at first but degrade over time.
I don't know that they degrade, but they will settle after a few weeks of driving...although not by much. I really like the KW adjustable setup, though...if it settles, just raise it back up. Plus, you can corner balance it! Win-win!

I am curious if all of these spring vendors are keeping the rates about the same as OEM, or if they're going with a higher spring rate.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't know that they degrade, but they will settle after a few weeks of driving...although not by much. I really like the KW adjustable setup, though...if it settles, just raise it back up. Plus, you can corner balance it! Win-win!

I am curious if all of these spring vendors are keeping the rates about the same as OEM, or if they're going with a higher spring rate.
I am not talking about springs settling/getting lower but rather the ride quality degrading over time, generally from the shocks wearing prematurely due to decreased travel and increased stiffness from the aftermarket springs.

As for spring rates, generally after market springs will always be stiffer than OEM.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spring rates have be higher due to less coils. Tech Art doesn’t publish their rates but I can tell you that they work excellent with the factory dampers. The car sits at a ride height equal to pasm + ( 20 mm ). I find them to be very compliant on the street giving what seems to be very close to OEM. I purposely emitted PASM and Chrono on my build order 12 months ago for the plan that I now have in place. I don’t see the need for Olins at this time , although if my struts blow out in the future I’ll probably go that route. Other lowering spring options are too low for my liking and many are tail sagging if you look closely. You’ll also find your camber coming in when being lowered and when you maximize the adjustment you should be at a good compromise street / track. I’m now at 6000 miles with no degradation. I haven’t been on the scales so I can’t comment on corner balance since there is no adjustment for that but I real don’t see a need for it. Olins would benefit for that but when is enough- enough. This is still a combination car for me .

There are a few threads that go into Cat options so I won’t get detailed here. Yes it can be done for less if your handy with a welder. Either way your taking the whole system off the car. I installed mine in 2 hours and Soul guarantees their product for track use. I agree it’s pricey. The sound along with Sport Exhaust is perfect to my ear. Pull the plug or fuse on the Sound Generator.

Brake ventilation is something I got creative with using some raw material from a scrap belly pan. I’ll share a picture as well as one of the vented pans I sourced from Suncoast. On the front rotors I shaved away some material from the dust shields while leaving some protection against the rotor heat to the ball joints and speed sensors.
AC164409-2F1C-4E02-89B2-EFE4076649E8.png F6E30B32-A2D8-4289-A24E-01C94404177C.png 4B27E6D1-E7DA-4AC4-A6E8-9C2CB5EF084F.png

1 - 14 of 14 Posts