Porsche 718 Forum banner

Is the Cayman S going away?

9K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  KEN OB 
#1 ·
Not that it's a big deal, but it looks like Porsche is phasing out the S in the USA. We'll have the base and the GTS. Am I wrong?
Unlike many, I use my car( a CS PDK) as a daily driver, no need for PASM or Sports Chrono, but I like all the upgrades in my car. If I ordered a GTS with the many upgrades in my car, the suggested retail price would be north of a 100g.

#2 · (Edited)
Am I wrong?
I think so. I don't think they will eliminate the S as an option. Why would they? It's not unusual for Porsche to give fewer S allocations in a GTS introductory year. Maybe that's what you are referring to? But I do believe that the Base is selling better then the S. In that price range, for many there is just a huge difference between a $70K and $90K car. Especially if the fun factor on public roads is comparable.

#8 ·
Guys, I've heard no such rumor. There are a few of us in this forum that are associated with the brand directly, myself included. A couple of which we speak in pm or text. It seems that right now Porsche is focusing on GTS production for the 718 line. That's taken priority, especially since it's the latest model, and Porsche is not as big as you might think. Their focus is always on quality, not quantity. I have several clients that I'm having trouble getting an allocation for 718 S cars. Base models are also difficult to order right this moment, but if you want a GTS, the allocations are available and ready. Porsche will likely shift production and focus again to 718 base and S cars in the near future. These strange idiosyncrasies is what makes Porsche different from other luxury high production brands, like offerings from Mercedes AMG and BMW M cars. They simply will not build another factory to keep up with demand. Porsche unfortunately moves at their own pace, which admittedly, is a rather slow pace... But when they finally do produce a car, look what we get! I'm not defending them here, because in all honesty, it hurts my personal business. If I were able to get exactly what I need from Porsche, when I need it, I would be making substantially more money. I have a guest right now that wants to order a 911 GTS. They originally wanted a Turbo, which I could easily get an allocation for, but they changed their mind into ordering a 911 GTS, they might even settle for a 911 4S. I can't seem to get an allocation for either! But right this minute, I can order a Base 911 or Turbo with no problem. Targa? A Targa is almost impossible, since it's debut of the new extremely sexy Targa, it might as well be a 918.

#11 ·
I believe you're semi-accurate. Maybe someone else can answer your question better than myself, but to my understanding, GTS models in any Porsche car/SUV are only available for a short duration of time and production. Base and S models in Any Porsche car/SUV are usually available, based on allocation of course, at any given time, as long that car has already been launched.
Example: a new 992 911 will be released in the not too distant future. Porsche will release the car in stages. Base, then S, then Cab. I'm simply guessing at how they release the car, I'm not sure of the exact order in which they're released, but if you Google Nick Murray on YouTube, he seems to have a very good understanding on how and when the new model will be released (he has a YouTube video out right now on the release order and timeline of the new 992 911). Bottom line, once the Base model and S are released, they will be readily available till the end of that generation. That being said, allocation is always a limiting factor. Maybe someone with more knowledge than myself can chime in here, as I'm also curious to a definitive answer to OldJedi's question...

#9 ·
Interesting comments and appreciate the insight from the Porsche insiders

Reactions: TEST DRyVer
#12 ·
From my vantage point in Southern California, 718 Cayman S is easier to get than a Base. GTS is easier to get than a S. The GTS hits the S sweet spot of desirable options with a notable discount & an extra 15 hp. My take is the GTS is the preferred S package. The S, like Base, is easier to spec into a more custom ride, if that is what you want. I have a Base 718 Cayman, with 20" wheels, GT steering wheel, & PDSM. It is a blast to drive. If I were to spec the car today, the GTS package has the rest of the options I'd like, especially rev-matching+sports clock chrono & torque vectoring. The extra power would be nice. Still, I enjoy cornering the most. Is that worth another $15K-$20K+ over my car. Maybe. In sum, I would recommend either a Base or GTS right now. With the 718 Cayman GT4 coming out soon, I might change my mind.

#13 ·
I kinda agree. My situation made the GTS $15k more than the S in my config. Now that delta included things that my S config didn't have (PTV, 20" wheels, the exterior bits), but I had decided that I didn't want them. My build was crazy, with a $98k MSRP. Do I wish I had a GTS? Well, yeah. Was I willing to give up Burmester or full leather or Lava Orange to get it? Nope. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.