Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe what I just heard in this video.

On another note, I kind of like the white lettering on the tires. I mean they look pretty racey on that white Cayman. Usually my trucks have raised white lettering, but I haven't changed out the tires ion the Ram yet, so it just has black sidewalls.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I've said this exact thing in other threads/posts about the 4.0 sound. IMO... he is the demographic that Porsche went after with the 718. It's a changing of the guards and eventually the diehard old school Porsche guys will be gone, meaning the sound matrix will be moot. Mainly because of the coming expire by date for older diehards and the future EV development.

I watched that video the other day and surprisingly I agree on the white letters. I think I'd like to get a set of Forged 18's and do letters on those.

EDIT: In no way do I mean disrespect to us older people. I'm no spring chicken either and just trying to make a point that most of the "Sound" haters are diehard older generation fans, whom the 718 was not the targeted audience.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've said this exact thing in other threads/posts about the 4.0 sound. IMO... he is the demographic that Porsche went after with the 718. It's a changing of the guards and eventually the diehard old school Porsche guys will be gone, meaning the sound matrix will be moot. Mainly because of the coming expire by date for older diehards and the future EV development.

I watched that video the other day and surprisingly I agree on the white letters. I think I'd like to get a set of Forged 18's and do letters on those.
Yes, you are exactly right! As I previously commented, my generation, that was firmly imprinted at an early age with the sound of big engines and aggressive exhaust notes, is now rapidly dwindling. I think the new imprint on those currently in their teens is rapidly becoming one of incredible but mostly silent performance as provided by an electric vehicle.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Electric cars: Blasphemy

All-Electric Porsche 718

I guess then we’ll be discussing who has the best tire noise.

Wonder what Luke did with the 981 GTS he bought a while back? It sounded pretty choice.

·
Super Moderator
1,442 Posts
For those of us who started a romance with the automobile in the 60s, performance meant big, normally aspirated engines, with free exhausts and aggressive cams (hence the craclkes and pops we all love in our 718s). Muscle cars, British sportscars, Porsches.

Younger adults, growing up in the nineties, fell in love with the Japanese taxis, with the ironing boards over the trunks (call me Subaru Imprezza STi) the dial-a horsepower turbos and the AWD. Or the free revving tuned Honda Si

I think the generation who were in their teens in ...the teens (2010-19) fell in love with ...their iPhones and, who knows, maybe with the EVs of the near future.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I think the generation who were in their teens in ...the teens (2010-19) fell in love with ...their iPhones and, who knows, maybe with the EVs of the near future.
From what I've heard from a few business owners/managers I've known, what they've mainly fallen in love with is the idea of somebody else doing all the work:rolleyes: :oops:. They may not even want to drive at all.

·
Registered
527 Posts
What in the world is a "naturally aspirated smile"? Was that just a goofy attempt at a play on words, or was he really implying that cornering on a rural back road in an NA-equipped car is somehow better than in a turbo-equipped one?

·
Registered
193 Posts
IMHO white letters look great on 60s muscle cars with Cragar SS mags. It’s a good look. No room on my low profile rubber with 20” wheels.

As for big motor sounds, a RR Merlin in a Mustang or Spitfire is the sweetest. Supercharger doesn’t hurt the sound. After that a big V at least 8. I never thought of a street legal Porsche as having a big sound. Sorry. 😊

·
Registered
315 Posts
OP, in response to your question (title of thread), it sure does seems to be, particularly on this forum.

I TRY not to feed the topic too much, as it seems to be a sore subject for many, particularly given the 'return of the F6.' Given this thread is devoted to soundtrack opinion, I thought it appropriate and non-offensive to respond.

It is not always about the sound or, at least, it is not ALL about the sound. Some drivers enjoy a particular soundtrack over another, and some place more value than others when it comes to soundtrack contribution to the overall driving experience.

I personally place high value on the soundtrack and much prefer the F6 over T4. That stated, I am not going after the GTS 4.0 PDK if/when released solely for the soundtrack. Will not digress again, as I am already convinced and not my intent to convince others that do not share my perspective.

DIH mentioned muscle cars and the Shelby GT350 comes to mind as the sweetest-sounding stock car on the road today - that I have actually driven. Still, not remotely enough to have me consider purchase. So, at least for me, it is not ALL about the soundtrack.

AVM

·
Registered
279 Posts
Electric cars: Blasphemy

All-Electric Porsche 718

I guess then we’ll be discussing who has the best tire noise.

Wonder what Luke did with the 981 GTS he bought a while back? It sounded pretty choice.
I like what I am seeing here. A E-718 would be my ideal car, IF the price match the petrol one. Not ready to spend more for a car less practical overall - which have nothing to do with the car itself, just thinking at the very poor charging infrastucture here.
I'd still want to wait a bit and see about reliability on long term ownership though, but this is about electric cars in general, not just Porsche.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Despite not being part of the older segment of this board (35 years old) sound is still important to me, maybe not to the degree of the older generations, but there is no doubt that the coming generations will not have the same association between sound and power as we do. Cars have in general become more and more silent, at at some point we will reach a state where a silent EV sports car is the norm and not the exception.
It is not that I have some idea in my head that one type of engine is superior to all others, all types of engines can excite me, in fact even the sound of revving the 3 cylinder 60 horsepower VW Up! we have at work
As the owner of both a 718 and a Tesla Model 3 Performance I can say that for us who associate sound with power, acceleration without the sound of an engine is just not the same, no matter how violent that acceleration may be.
I can also say that I prefer my 718 for driving fun, despite it being slower... Because of the sound it just doesn't sound slower.
If the 718 successor will be a pure EV I know I will be holding on to my 718 as long as possible, as to me a silent sports car makes the sports car irrelevant altogether.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Despite not being part of the older segment of this board (35 years old) sound is still important to me, maybe not to the degree of the older generations, but there is no doubt that the coming generations will not have the same association between sound and power as we do. Cars have in general become more and more silent, at at some point we will reach a state where a silent EV sports car is the norm and not the exception.
It is not that I have some idea in my head that one type of engine is superior to all others, all types of engines can excite me, in fact even the sound of revving the 3 cylinder 60 horsepower VW Up! we have at work
As the owner of both a 718 and a Tesla Model 3 Performance I can say that for us who associate sound with power, acceleration without the sound of an engine is just not the same, no matter how violent that acceleration may be.
I can also say that I prefer my 718 for driving fun, despite it being slower... Because of the sound it just doesn't sound slower.
If the 718 successor will be a pure EV I know I will be holding on to my 718 as long as possible, as to me a silent sports car makes the sports car irrelevant altogether.

Isnt it about how the car handle in the twisties too ? I never drove a Tesla but I imagine a very important part of the diference and why prefering the 718 over the Tesla is there, how it drives, more so than the sound ?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I got your soundtrack right here: T/A

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OP, in response to your question (title of thread), it sure does seems to be, particularly on this forum.

I TRY not to feed the topic too much, as it seems to be a sore subject for many, particularly given the 'return of the F6.' Given this thread is devoted to soundtrack opinion, I thought it appropriate and non-offensive to respond.

It is not always about the sound or, at least, it is not ALL about the sound. Some drivers enjoy a particular soundtrack over another, and some place more value than others when it comes to soundtrack contribution to the overall driving experience.

I personally place high value on the soundtrack and much prefer the F6 over T4. That stated, I am not going after the GTS 4.0 PDK if/when released solely for the soundtrack. Will not digress again, as I am already convinced and not my intent to convince others that do not share my perspective.

DIH mentioned muscle cars and the Shelby GT350 comes to mind as the sweetest-sounding stock car on the road today - that I have actually driven. Still, not remotely enough to have me consider purchase. So, at least for me, it is not ALL about the soundtrack.

AVM
I just got a chuckle out of it when he said he loved everything but the sound. I mean after three plus years of hearing about how terrible the 718 sounds and then to have Porsche throw out a six-banger to satisfy the sound freaks and then get that declaration on a new YT video about a new GT4 with the six-banger? It was priceless. Porsche may get a lesson they didn't want to learn. Peeps may pony up more dollars for the GT4 and Spyder because they're a special car outside of the lineup, but we'll see what happens with the GTS.

·
Registered
315 Posts
GTS

I hear you and am really curious to 'hear' what the GTS 4.0 is all about. . . that said, and as I have repeatedly stated, it is much more than the soundtrack for ME.

I know members are tired of hearing me express my enthusiasm toward wringing out my 718. The point is that I live high in the RPMs (power band). If nothing else, I think everyone agrees the 981 GTS/GT4 and 718 GT4 do not come alive until you get to the top of the power band - those that do not have access to roadways or a desire to live at the top of the power band much prefer the low-end torque the T4 offers. Not me. I really want what the F6 offers at top-end, and the T4 does not.

As you also know, I am a converted MT fanboy, who now sings the PDK praises. Honestly, I have given this a great deal of thought the past couple days. Namely wondering if/when the GTS 4.0 will ever be available in PDK? Do I want to wait a couple years? With these thoughts I have seriously considered jumping into a 981 GT4. Of course, they only come with MT, which is a primary focus in my deliberations.

I will let simmer in my mind for a while longer, but I am really craving a F6 at this point.

AVM

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
GTS

I hear you and am really curious to 'hear' what the GTS 4.0 is all about. . . that said, and as I have repeatedly stated, it is much more than the soundtrack for ME.

I know members are tired of hearing me express my enthusiasm toward wringing out my 718. The point is that I live high in the RPMs (power band). If nothing else, I think everyone agrees the 981 GTS/GT4 and 718 GT4 do not come alive until you get to the top of the power band - those that do not have access to roadways or a desire to live at the top of the power band much prefer the low-end torque the T4 offers. Not me. I really want what the F6 offers at top-end, and the T4 does not.

As you also know, I am a converted MT fanboy, who now sings the PDK praises. Honestly, I have given this a great deal of thought the past couple days. Namely wondering if/when the GTS 4.0 will ever be available in PDK? Do I want to wait a couple years? With these thoughts I have seriously considered jumping into a 981 GT4. Of course, they only come with MT, which is a primary focus in my deliberations.

I will let simmer in my mind for a while longer, but I am really craving a F6 at this point.

AVM
No disrespect intended, just an observation. It does seem that you have a car your not satisfied with, in that it is a F4T. It just doesn't fit your style and there is no reason to drive something that doesn't make you smile every time you drive it. That 4.0 will be a beast and I'm sure with an exhaust system added it will also sound amazing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No disrespect intended, just an observation. It does seem that you have a car your not satisfied with, in that it is a F4T. It just doesn't fit your style and there is no reason to drive something that doesn't make you smile every time you drive it. That 4.0 will be a beast and I'm sure with an exhaust system added it will also sound amazing.
Hoosier

No 'disrespect' taken whatsoever.

What we are dealing with here is a true first-world 'problem.'

I have no hesitation in stating the 718 is the best sport car I have ever owned, BUT . . .

I guess I simply want that F6 and the power band that comes with it.

My suspicion is that if I wait for the GTS 4.0 PDK I will be waiting for a couple years until I actually take delivery . . . assuming there will ever even be a PDK offered. Far worse, that would mean this forum will be listening to me talk about it way more than anyone wants to hear :)

AVM

1 - 20 of 128 Posts