Porsche 718 Forum banner
181 - 200 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Just returned from a little 3 day escape from the kids with day 1 shopping, or more looking, around Bicester Shopping Village and gawping at the seriously expensive cars in the VIP parking followed by day 2 at PEC Silverstone on our experience day which was fabulous. The great thing about these is that you can split the session with your guest and tailor it to your needs so, Er in doors had the first hour and a half mainly on the kick plate as she said she was a bit rubbish followed by some quick trips around the twisties. I, on the other hand, wanted to get to know the cars capabilities in handling, stopping and accelerating. I also wanted to get more practice in on apex spotting and using the PDK in manual as my gearing was a little to be desired. Needless to say the car way, way outweighs the capabilities of the driver. The car is super quick even without using launch control. Just use the hold function and stomp on the loud pedal when you're ready to go. Chr!$t Almighty this thing shifts and stops on a dime. Admittedly the PEC car had ceramics but the instructor said the braking capacity isn't much less on the steel brakes but there are obvious advantages to ceramics over steels which we all know.

I was a little hesitant on taking corners at speed but confidence grew the more I went around the track and using the flappy paddles give so much control rather than having to take a hand off the wheel to row through the gears. Heresy I know but I really feel happier with the PDK and glad I chose it. Breakfast and Lunch was superb as always and I even managed to scrounge some goodies.

Day 3 was a trip to Silverstone Museum. Well worth a trip and although expensive it's for a good cause and a great way of keeping the history of Silverstone. Speaking to one of the volunteers, all the vehicles (bar 2) are original and on loan to the museum by the owners. I'd also recommend doing the walk up to the main track. We were fortunate enough to be there whist a Caterham race was on and you could see the preparations for the GP in a couple of weeks.

Also surprised to see how small the Mercedes hybrid power unit is.

Accommodation wise, we stayed at the Paisley Pair in Brackley. Excellent location with Silverstone being 10 mins away. It's a Marstons chain but newly developed with a BP on the doorstep and a Sainsburys around the corner. If you like steak, treat yourself to a trip to Towcester and visit DnA Steak and Grill. Superb.

Car wise, an average of 34.5 mpg I'm happy with. I opened the taps on exiting the M6 Toll and OMG the thing sounds wondrous.

Now sitting at 2500 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quite easy Al. Just take your time and tape up your paintwork and you'll be fine. Top tip, bend back the fixing tabs a little more that they are out of the box otherwise you'll scrape your bumper.

If you plan on ordering some, I'll give you a discount code.
Hopefully my car is coming in September and would like to fit these grills as it seems odd that there is nothing already there given how big those openings are.. Where did you get them from and any discount code would be good!

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
2,654 Posts
Just returned from a little 3 day escape from the kids with day 1 shopping, or more looking, around Bicester Shopping Village and gawping at the seriously expensive cars in the VIP parking followed by day 2 at PEC Silverstone on our experience day which was fabulous. The great thing about these is that you can split the session with your guest and tailor it to your needs so, Er in doors had the first hour and a half mainly on the kick plate as she said she was a bit rubbish followed by some quick trips around the twisties. I, on the other hand, wanted to get to know the cars capabilities in handling, stopping and accelerating. I also wanted to get more practice in on apex spotting and using the PDK in manual as my gearing was a little to be desired. Needless to say the car way, way outweighs the capabilities of the driver. The car is super quick even without using launch control. Just use the hold function and stomp on the loud pedal when you're ready to go. Chr!$t Almighty this thing shifts and stops on a dime. Admittedly the PEC car had ceramics but the instructor said the braking capacity isn't much less on the steel brakes but there are obvious advantages to ceramics over steels which we all know.

I was a little hesitant on taking corners at speed but confidence grew the more I went around the track and using the flappy paddles give so much control rather than having to take a hand off the wheel to row through the gears. Heresy I know but I really feel happier with the PDK and glad I chose it. Breakfast and Lunch was superb as always and I even managed to scrounge some goodies.

Day 3 was a trip to Silverstone Museum. Well worth a trip and although expensive it's for a good cause and a great way of keeping the history of Silverstone. Speaking to one of the volunteers, all the vehicles (bar 2) are original and on loan to the museum by the owners. I'd also recommend doing the walk up to the main track. We were fortunate enough to be there whist a Caterham race was on and you could see the preparations for the GP in a couple of weeks.

Also surprised to see how small the Mercedes hybrid power unit is.

Accommodation wise, we stayed at the Paisley Pair in Brackley. Excellent location with Silverstone being 10 mins away. It's a Marstons chain but newly developed with a BP on the doorstep and a Sainsburys around the corner. If you like steak, treat yourself to a trip to Towcester and visit DnA Steak and Grill. Superb.

Car wise, an average of 34.5 mpg I'm happy with. I opened the taps on exiting the M6 Toll and OMG the thing sounds wondrous.

Now sitting at 2500 miles.
We have a new Forum reporter.... Well done.... Great insights and super photos. I wanta goooooo..

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've just got back from my Porsche Experience Day "Lite". Easily one of my top ten experiences ever, like full stop. Instructor was fantastic and was encouraging.

High points, the kick plate. The amount of surface simulation they pack in is all sorts of epic.

Of course it makes the wait until my car arrives even harder!

In a bizarre twist of fate however I got the mail today to book up my full fat experience day.

Just brilliant!

@Scrounger How did you wrangle getting the lanyards?

Cheers!

T1b

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Porsche Club GB arranged an open night at Ninemeister on Thursday last week and what a great place this is. Lots of classics going through servicing and restoration. They are very much a one stop shop whether it be a 4 wheel alignment or full restoration. I really wish I had deep enough pockets to be able to get them to source and restore a nice 911 SC.

With that in mind, the GTS is now booked in on Monday for a 4 wheel alignment. I'll ask nicely if I can take some photos during the process and post them when I get home. I'm very much going in blind when it comes to geo. The main aim is to ensure everything is pointing in the right direction and at factory specs. I have no intention of tracking the car but do occasionally like a little spirited driving on fast B roads but 85% of my driving is done either round town or on the motorway. I'd like to ensure even tyre wear so not looking at an aggressive camber.

On to oil. I've now got into a routing of checking my oil level at every fuel stop. My previous base Cayman was pretty steady on its oil level and only dropped below full once. The GTS is all over the place. One minute it can be below half, then above half, then at half! Who said technology is best?!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Porsche Club GB arranged an open night at Ninemeister on Thursday last week and what a great place this is. Lots of classics going through servicing and restoration. They are very much a one stop shop whether it be a 4 wheel alignment or full restoration. I really wish I had deep enough pockets to be able to get them to source and restore a nice 911 SC.

With that in mind, the GTS is now booked in on Monday for a 4 wheel alignment. I'll ask nicely if I can take some photos during the process and post them when I get home. I'm very much going in blind when it comes to geo. The main aim is to ensure everything is pointing in the right direction and at factory specs. I have no intention of tracking the car but do occasionally like a little spirited driving on fast B roads but 85% of my driving is done either round town or on the motorway. I'd like to ensure even tyre wear so not looking at an aggressive camber.

On to oil. I've now got into a routing of checking my oil level at every fuel stop. My previous base Cayman was pretty steady on its oil level and only dropped below full once. The GTS is all over the place. One minute it can be below half, then above half, then at half! Who said technology is best?!
Never percieved any real oil level variability with our '17 BS (CPO w/1,075 at purchse) over the 4,800 miles I tacked on, including four track days and five AX's. However, our '22 BGTS has been a totally different animal over the first 3400 miles...almost as unpredictable as me shooting pucks from the blue line (okay, nothing has ever been that eratic). First quart added at 2,552 miles. Hopefully this improves over time. Regardless, I have legitimate concerns over track day oil consumption...time will tell.

Reactions: Raven

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
A trip to Ninemeister this morning for a 4 wheel alignment. I wasn't concerned over the set up from the factory but wanted to make sure everything was within limits and the wheels were pointing in the same direction at the same time!

The tech for the day was a great guy by the name of Robin. Happy to talk as he went along explaining what he was doing and how it affects the way the wheels move and how it improves handling. We opted for a semi fast road set up with more positive turn in and, as a complete novice with geo, I was happy to leave him with it.

Sadly the Hunter machine hadn't saved the initial readings but Robin said they weren't anything to be over concerned about. Factory alignments are ok for the first couple of thousand miles but he did say it's best to get the alignment checked after that and once everything has settled.

Nice to be able to see a nice shiny exhaust as well

Overall a great morning. It's good to have a welcoming indie on the doorstep who are happy to talk about your car AND for you to watch while they work and explain what they're doing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello!

That looks lush. I've used Centre Gravity based on reviews and they did a fantastic job on my M2C. The only bad news is they are often booked up for 3+ months in advance!

Were you able to get booked in fairly quickly with Ninemeister?

Guessing I'll have to look into finding someone local ish.

As you went to SCC I'm guessing we're in the same sort of area.

Cheers

T1b

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
I was at an open evening they had with PCGB on Wednesday last week. Called the day after and got booked in for today. No issues however it may well have been a fluke.

I'm in the NW between Manchester and Liverpool.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 · (Edited)
Small update, well a big one for me at least, the car is currently at Road and Race Restorations having the bonnet realigned as I noticed that the panel gaps were off and the bonnet sat quite proud of the wings. It’s been like this from collection and I thought I could live with it but it’s now getting on my wick! I’ve just been told that it needs 2 new bonnet hinges to sort the problem so it’s now having those fitted. I’ve attached some photos so you can check yours if you had a Feb/March ‘22 build car you may have the same issue. How it got through QC I’ve no idea but it’s being done under warranty.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood

Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Automotive design

·
Registered
50 Posts
Small yodate, well a big one for me at least, the car is currently at Road and Race Restorations having the bonnet realigned as I noticed that the panel gaps were off and the bonnet sat quite proud of the wings. It’s been like this from collection and I thought I could live with it but it’s now getting on my wick! I’ve just been told that it needs 2 new bonnet hinges to sort the problem so it’s now having those fitted. I’ve attached some photos so you can check yours if you had a Feb/March build car you may have the same issue. How it got through QC I’ve no idea but it’s being done under warranty.
View attachment 46459
View attachment 46460
View attachment 46461
View attachment 46458
That's pretty disappointing! Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be checking for this when mine arrives!

How long do you think it will take them to sort?

181 - 200 of 223 Posts