Porsche 718 Forum banner

Just been given a build slot for my Unicorn

36K views 238 replies 49 participants last post by  Scrounger 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after 16 months of joy in my base Cayman I've finally got approval to buy my unicorn, a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0.

After a day with my OPC's demo which I let OC Home Command drive for the majority of it (bit of mind games going on), we put a deposit on a GTS with an initial request put in for an allocation in March with delivery in June however, I got a call today to say a February build slot has come up and would I like it. I would be silly not to so the car will/should be with me end of March.

Spec is as follows:

718 Cayman GTS 4.0
PDK (I wanted manual but she said no, she wanted cruise and I got my own back and said no)
Aventurine Green
Side model designation delete
Alloys in silver
PDSL with headlight washers in black
Race tex interior with extended items in leather
Speed limit display
Dual zone climate
Auto dimming mirrors
Auto wipers
Power steering plus
Light design package
Folding mirrors
Park assist F&R & heated seats but these are now standard items.
Heated multifunction steering wheel in racetex
Smoking package
Seatbelts in silver grey
Storage lid in racetex with Porsche crest.

I've opted for the standard 20mm drop so many thanks to everyone for your advice and I'm just hoping I win the tyre lottery and get the Michelin PS4S like I have now.

Now needless to say this is the most expensive car I've ever owned but this WILL be my last Porsche and one I will keep unless something drastic happens. It also helps that my car with 10k miles on the clock has almost £10k of equity in it.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

I even bought a new registration plate

Green Motor vehicle Font Rectangle Automotive exterior

See less See more
#11 ·
I don't know how the allocations work but we bought from Hennessey Atlanta and they are one of the largest in the US, if allocations are doled out in this way. We'll keep our fingers crossed. We currently have a 2019 Cayman S, not sure if we're going to sell it outright or trade. We'll have to wait and see how the market is closer to delivery

#19 ·
I'm starting to get slightly miffed that I paid my deposit for a 4.0 on 1st July, and so far heard nothing.
Do you have an existing relationship with the dealer? If not, then I would suggest call around to other dealers as the allocations and waiting lists at the specific dealer will determine how quickly you get your confirmation. My best wishes are with you!

#24 ·
Generally here the price you see is the price you pay,, although a brand new car will also have a little extra added known as "On the road" cost. That covers the delivery cost to dealer, the registration and one years road tax of the car with the government, and making number plates. On a GTS 4.0 that totals £1965

#29 ·
If your car is a MY22, which it will be if its an April delivery, Porsche will honour the price before the uplift. Personally I find the configurator great fun but it can also be a nightmare with the different configurations available. My GTS build was relatively easy as I did all the hard work and sleepless nights on my current Cayman. The leap into the unknown.. if this a good choice.. will PASM be too low....do I really need this...which colour suits these wheels best... the list goes on.

For me its easiest to start with a model first, then colours and wheels at the same time. Know what options 'should' already be in a car that costs this much and what you must have. For me those are options such as dual climate, auto dimming mirrors (the car is very low and headlight do dazzle you from behind), speed limit indicator etc, then move onto the niceties; leather, extended leather, carbon, seat belt colours, coloured dials etc etc. After which you can play about a bit.

Best advice, use the help of others, be open to opinions and don't take offence to any. Ask if this colour looks good with these wheels, should I have PASM or Sport Chrono and most importantly of all, stick to your budget and once you've built it and happy, send the final build to the dealer and forget about it. Review it a couple of days before freeze point and if there isn't an option that screams BUY ME, then leave alone. You'll love it when it arrives.

I enjoy the rush of buying a new car out of the box and making it my own...it's like a drug.

Dan

#37 ·
So my freeze point has moved to the left by a couple of weeks and is now 4th Feb however, I’ve just had an email from Porsche saying my car is scheduled for production. I was under the impression that I’d get this email once it had locked in. Any ideas?