Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2021 718 Spyder PDK
63 Posts
Ok here is a thought: put 2 cylinders in the trunk. There, problem fixed. Soul restored. Its like magic!

:cool:

Edit: ok no one will believe this but I wrote that BEFORE i started watching the video above…

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when ALL Porsche road cars were 4 cyl. A top magazine (I think it was Car and Driver) wrote an article on the new 911 6 cyl which they loved except for the exhaust tone of the flat 6. They moaned that it "sounded like a Corvair". Oh the horrors! I bought a new 1968 911 anyway.

By the way, I wacked the mufflers off my new 2021 Cayman and fabricated an axle back straight pipe exhaust the first week I had it. Because of the turbo it isn't too loud.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when ALL Porsche road cars were 4 cyl. A top magazine (I think it was Car and Driver) wrote an article on the new 911 6 cyl which they loved except for the exhaust tone of the flat 6. They moaned that it "sounded like a Corvair". Oh the horrors! I bought a new 1968 911 anyway.

By the way, I wacked the mufflers off my new 2021 Cayman and fabricated an axle back straight pipe exhaust the first week I had it. Because of the turbo it isn't too loud.
Oddly, I really enjoyed the soundtrack of my 2-speed automatic 1960 Corvair sedan. On the other hand, overall performance was dismal (except the 30 mpg fuel consumption) and handling was consistently inconsistant and downright dangerous when pushed, especially on bumpy or wet surfaces. Similar to the Mustang @DriveInHouston once had, I always felt like the Corvair was trying to kill me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The original 718, the 914, 924, 944 and 944 turbo were all four pot. I only test drove the demo for 15 mins and saw the look on my dear wife's face, she looked 17 again and as we clambered out at the dealers she looked into my eyes and asked if I was willing to give up on my dream of a Jag F type because this little car made her feel young again and ready for an adventure. She did all the sums and came up with a price that we could afford and we built it to that with the dealer. IDON"T CARE WHAT THE REVIEWERS SAY.......and I don't care what the 911 6 pot snobs say, I have worked all of my life to have a nice car and this little 718 2.0 Litre is going to make us feel young again, it is the perfect car for us and we are going to love it to bits and enjoy every second that we have together in it. Some people never have the funds to have anything like this and we are the lucky ones. Please fall in love with your little Porsche for the right reasons

·
Registered
2021 Boxster PDK
338 Posts
I bought my Boxster for me. It has what I wanted. If I wanted a 6 cylinder motor, I would have bought it. If my Boxster only went 100mph, I'd still love it. I listen to the radio or my passenger, usually my husband, not the exhaust. I give a $4/7 what any naysaying jerks think or say. I walk towards it, get in, and drive away with a huge smile. My Boxster has a soul. Mine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A disclaimer is that I have never heard the flat 6 Cayman/Boxster. Reading the reviews on the sound of the 718 flat 4, I was almost persuaded not to get one and get a 981 instead.

However, coming to a base 300bhp flat 4 718 Cayman after a 560bhp V8 M5 I have not missed the power or sound. Love the sound of the 718 and always get VERY complimentary comments on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a few people have said, just get out and drive it that smile will soon reappear.

There are some aftermarket valvetronic style exhausts if you are really needing something that pops and bangs, I went the armytrix route myself. My 2017 Boxster S is now at 33,000 miles and increasing daily, I smile every time I drive it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Sounds like the 718 is meeting and exceeding the test of time. I have been looking a 996 911 and have become increasing less interested in a 911, and much more interested in an Alfa 4C to go with my 718. One of the main reasons is the test drive I did in my friend's 911. I was crestfallen that I did not appreciate the wail of the 1987 low mileage catless 911 flat six. All the hype about how great the flat six sounds, was just that for me- hype.

Don't let these 911 die-hard traditionalists who killed both the 944 and 928 dissuade you from your own judgement.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well I was going to conclude this thread with a picture of my Cquartzed Porsche but it just hasn't been right for a photo shoot yet. I will probably wait a week now until I can wash the car again before taking pictures.

Yeah this car is my baby now. Still don't get the 6 cylinder thing either and the sound of the car being important to people. To me the taste in the sound of the car is more subjective the your favorite flavor of color. We have Teslas and politician's saying they want to move to all electric for everyone and people are still complaining about the sound of the exhaust? It feels like the 1990's when the high and might 8 cylinder "american muscle" guys would make fun of the "rice burners". Who gives a crap?

Right now the waiting for the break in period to be over and driving this thing under 4k rpm is hard for me. Must resist opening it up o_O

·
Registered
2018 BOXSTER BASE PDK. 2018 MACAN S
82 Posts
Hello everyone, so after searching for a car that was right for me, I settled on a 2020 718 Boxster. The car is gorgeous and I get so much more excited for this car than my old one. I have always wanted a Porsche sports car in the color of my choice and I seemingly got it. I knew this car was 4 cylinder and I was mainly looking at the speed of the car and the ability it has to be driven.

Come to find out, a Porsche sports car needs a 6 cylinder to be a Porsche.😱 Honestly I didn't even consider it an issue until I started reading the Internets opinion on the car. I guess I can't like my car any more. 😔

How did you get over the fact that most car bros think our cars sound bad?
I do not agree at all, tons of folks here are driving the 4 and love it
I have sport exhaust and the car sounds great
i recently drove a couple 911’s and the BOXSTER is more fun
And my base is plenty fast for me

·
Registered
114 Posts
I love the sound of NA V8s, like my e90 M3 or my Mopar 340 from back in the day. The difference between a 6 and 4 doesn't seem that great to me as neither of them will be quite as pleasing to my ear as a V8. But.... I love the way a 718 turbo delivers torque regardless. On the twisty back roads that I take my 718 BS I just can't imagine an NA 6 with it's delayed torque would be as much fun.

Bottom line is that the car is so much fun just the way it is, I wouldn't change anything about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello everyone, so after searching for a car that was right for me, I settled on a 2020 718 Boxster. The car is gorgeous and I get so much more excited for this car than my old one. I have always wanted a Porsche sports car in the color of my choice and I seemingly got it. I knew this car was 4 cylinder and I was mainly looking at the speed of the car and the ability it has to be driven.

Come to find out, a Porsche sports car needs a 6 cylinder to be a Porsche.😱 Honestly I didn't even consider it an issue until I started reading the Internets opinion on the car. I guess I can't like my car any more. 😔

I came from a 981 Boxster S to the 718 Boxster S. Porsche sports exhaust factory fitted on both.
I don't think the exhaust note on the 718 is better or worse - just different. Still bellows and burbles when in sports mode. I find the better sounds start sooner on the 718 - at around 1800 revs. I don't have any complaints.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I echo every reply to your concerns that your Porsche isn’t a real Porsche without a flat 6. I have a 2019 Cayman base, white, with the polished black 911 wheels. I read all about the different trims in all the car magazines. Everyone had an opinion. I rented each trim level from Turo.com when out on trips to LA over a year period: Base, S, and GTS (no GT4). I ripped around in the canyons north of Malibu for hours each rental. They were all sublime. I decided on the base because although a hair slower on paper, the 2.0l turbo had plenty of torque to get me in trouble for thousands less. The exhaust note could be better for sure but if you drive it in manual mode, let it rev higher and unwind just a little before shifting, you can get it to crackle and pop all day. After the warranty period...I’ll probably do a Fabspeed exhaust mod. Don’t worry about the nay-sayers. You will love the car!

·
Registered
20 Posts

You can add SOUL downpipe to revive more Soul :) Trust me, downpipe and exhaust matters.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Dude- My 718S was also my first Porsche and I can't figure out what took me so long to make the change. What soul do you think you are missing? I have already found some of the best roads in Northern California to drive and the car handles like a dream - flat in the corners, great power and reasonable sound. Forget the haters that ask why you didn't buy a 911, this car rocks!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts