Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Boxster GTS
10 Posts
Isn't a "real" Porsche. I don't know why I decided to reply to this particular one in the huge catalog of messages that say exactly the same nonsense the OP said here, but the thing about a "real" Porsche needing 6 cylinders is completely ridiculous. To date, I have still had more Porsches without six cylinders than with:
Without (8):
'87 944
'94 968
'74 914
'84 928S
'87 928S4
'06 Cayenne Turbo
'18 Cayman
'19 Boxster GTS (I have this one now)

With (7):
'72 911T
'99 Boxster
'01 C2
'06 C4
'11 Cayman
'01 Boxster (I still have this one now)
'04 Boxster SE (I still have this one now)

And now that I have this 718 GTS, I am cutting loose the other 2 "real" 6-cyl Porsches. (I'm still undecided whether to keep the '04 Special Edition, I had looked for one for so long but now that I have the GTS I haven't actually driven it since!)

One more thing to keep in mind: Those buffoons who tell you that a Porsche without six cylinders isn't a real Porsche are the exact same buffoons who will tell you that a Boxster or a Cayman isn't a real Porsche to begin with, so forget those people. Drive your car. If you like it, that's awesome and we are all very proud of you. If you don't, then our approval isn't going to do anything to change your mind, so dump it and move on to something strangers and Youtubers will appreciate more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with so many of the posts above, affirming the positive attributes of the turbocharged 718s. I’ve driven and owned both NA and turbocharged cars. This is my first Porsche, and it’s a Spyder (NA). I relish it’s handling, esthetic, and the sense of personal occasion it creates for me, even when driving the speed limit in the right hand lane on the highway. But I do miss the low end torque of my prior car. I miss the shove in my back at lower RPMs, torque not even achieved at 8000 rpm in this car. And I rarely push the tach to the limit because it’s impractical and more often than not reckless on public roads. On the flip side, I’m less inclined to break traction, particularly on wet roads or even at 65 mph, so I’m a little bit more in control or less likely to lose control during spirited driving.

The sound comparison is a whole other matter. To me, neither is better or worse. They’re different, like Led Zepplin vs Radiohead. They’re both wonderful. And I often find it curious that rarely did people make these same criticisms when comparing the NA 911s to the 911 Turbos or GT2s. The Turbos were often perceived, and were objectively, the superior car.

In short, the differences are fun and worth celebrating. And if I had the wherewithal, I’d have one of each.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
@GregW Haha, yes It's all in good fun. I was a car guy when I was in high school then kind of moved on from that hobby. For a long time a car was just a thing to get my from point a to b, I forgot how funny car enthusiasts are with hating on everyone else's car until I got my Porsche. At the same time I thought it would make a good conversation on the psychology of people and their negative opinions on other people's cars.

@Juan Blanco The "soul" I speak of in my title is just an echo of a journalist hit piece I read before I posted this thread. The title said "Porsche sold it's soul" or something ridiculous. :rolleyes: Like I said I was shocked people with combustion engines are hating on each others vehicles when electric cars are about to take over. Maybe the haters are Tesla bots. :unsure: Edit: found that article Did Porsche Make a Mistake With the 4-Cylinder 718? - 6SpeedOnline

To the people who got a SOUL down pipe: what did your dealer say how that affected your warranty? It sounds interesting and I will have to look into that one further.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Dude- ....... snip................. What soul do you think you are missing? .............. snip..............
I'm just guessing here, but perhaps he's missing the kind of soul you find in Italian vehicles, a Ferrari being the prime example. My Ferrari 360 Modena had it it buckets full and it's the only car I wish I still owned. My Alfa Spider had it as did my Fiat Grande Punto and my Ducati Monster too, all left behind when I left Italy. My current Fiat 500 Abarth has soul but neither my current 2021 Cayman nor my recent Panamera or BMW has soul. Even my first Porsche, a 1968 911 I bought new when I was a youngster didn't have it. I doubt if any German car can ever match that feeling you get when driving an Italian car/bike. Yes, I like my brand new Cayman a lot, but driving it gives a different feeling than the thrill I experience when I drive my Fiat Abarth.

Imagine a hug from your Mom.............. nice............ but not the same as a hug from Catrinel Menghia . If you don't know who that is, take a look here:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello everyone, so after searching for a car that was right for me, I settled on a 2020 718 Boxster. The car is gorgeous and I get so much more excited for this car than my old one. I have always wanted a Porsche sports car in the color of my choice and I seemingly got it. I knew this car was 4 cylinder and I was mainly looking at the speed of the car and the ability it has to be driven.

Come to find out, a Porsche sports car needs a 6 cylinder to be a Porsche.😱 Honestly I didn't even consider it an issue until I started reading the Internets opinion on the car. I guess I can't like my car any more. 😔

How did you get over the fact that most car bros think our cars sound bad?
By ripping out that pos exhaust, getting a tune, and smoking those fools with close to 400 at the wheels. That’s how.

·
Registered
620 Posts
t, getting a tune, and smoking those fools with close to 400 at the wheels. That’s how.
I was on that page when the GTS 4.0 was introduced. Since then I have realized the low-end grunt is so good that on real roads I can already smoke most folks. My fear was that adding a tune would introduce unwanted-careful-with-the-throttle Hellcat wheel spin.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oddly, I really enjoyed the soundtrack of my 2-speed automatic 1960 Corvair sedan. On the other hand, overall performance was dismal (except the 30 mpg fuel consumption) and handling was consistently inconsistant and downright dangerous when pushed, especially on bumpy or wet surfaces. Similar to the Mustang @DriveInHouston once had, I always felt like the Corvair was trying to kill me.
I had a 63 Monza Corvair, which was fun to drive, but the gas fumes were always present and not much fun at times.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
I actually like the sound of the exhaust (non -modified) of my car. I have watched a ton of review videos and like someone has already commented on, the complaint of the sound by some reviewers comes across as being copied by what others have said. There are several who compare the sound to a Subaru which I found interesting......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello everyone, so after searching for a car that was right for me, I settled on a 2020 718 Boxster. The car is gorgeous and I get so much more excited for this car than my old one. I have always wanted a Porsche sports car in the color of my choice and I seemingly got it. I knew this car was 4 cylinder and I was mainly looking at the speed of the car and the ability it has to be driven.

Come to find out, a Porsche sports car needs a 6 cylinder to be a Porsche.😱 Honestly I didn't even consider it an issue until I started reading the Internets opinion on the car. I guess I can't like my car any more. 😔

How did you get over the fact that most car bros think our cars sound bad?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don’t get too hung up on this. The turbo 4 pots in the 718’s are angry, eager engines and probably the best 4 cylinder engines in the world. I moved to a 992 911 last year with a flat 6, and yes I love my 911, but I do also miss my 718, and the 718 engines are a lot better than some people give them credit for. Enjoy you car. All the purist rubbish about a Porsche has to have a flat 6 is rubbish, loads of famous Porsches and Porsche racing cars in the past had 4 cylinder engines.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I actually like the sound of the exhaust (non -modified) of my car. I have watched a ton of review videos and like someone has already commented on, the complaint of the sound by some reviewers comes across as being copied by what others have said. There are several who compare the sound to a Subaru which I found interesting......
I am sorry, but the stock exhaust is a turd. Even worse now with newer models and the filters. I lost 40 lbs with my exhaust and get all kinds of people telling me all the time how great she sounds. 911 owners at that!!! Boggles the mind how many people buy these cars to keep them stock. IT HAS A TURBO!!!! Porsche finally put a turbo in with forged internals!!! We didnt buy top end GT cars. HAVE FUN! Tuned with no cat, 3+yrs, treat her like a redhead, f*** the warranty. No problems! 400 at the wheels? Probably, maybe more.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
porches were designed to be lightweight cars and be 4 cylinders only. shrug. :)
I wish there was a $15k+ option to remove 150 lbs of weight vs that option to get 95 more hp and +150 lbs.

·
Premium Member
2017 boxter 718
223 Posts
ferrari made several 4 cyl. sports cars in the '50's. you can bet they had gobs of soul and sex appeal.

typically hot, uncomfortable, and hard to live with! but oh....... the sounds they made!!!

·
Registered
2017 Cayman S
24 Posts
:LOL:Thanks for the replys everyone

I did get to drive my car, and probably opened it up more than I should since I'm still below 1000 miles. I have never been this excited about a machine since I had my first sports bike. The thing is wicked fast and it puts a huge grin on my face! I was shocked at how smooth it drove, I didn't know a car could handle that smoothly it honestly makes me think there are no better cars than a Porsche.

Now I'm waiting for my ceramic coating to ship to me. I got the black car so I'm trying to avoid putting more swirls in the paint until I get the coating done, I won't drive it until then.The wait is killing me so I'm drinking all the alcohol I can find until the coating is on and cured. 🍾
I love hearing opinions from car-nuts like me. We seem to share common characteristics besides our passion for driving, including obsession over minor details, hyperactive imaginations about how much of a cars capabilities we will actually use, etc. I was on the other side of this “better sound” discussion with my E92 M3 V8 when the F80s went to turbos. Then a friend got one and let me drive it and I realize how absurd it is to make claims about what is better with the evolutions. It’s not zero sum, the shrieking V8 at 8,200 rpm was great but the turbo wizardry is fabulous. I love them all.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts