Porsche 718 Forum banner

Just got my 2020 718 Boxster, my first Porsche to find out it has no soul?

15K views 66 replies 47 participants last post by  Tyler Chatt Town 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, so after searching for a car that was right for me, I settled on a 2020 718 Boxster. The car is gorgeous and I get so much more excited for this car than my old one. I have always wanted a Porsche sports car in the color of my choice and I seemingly got it. I knew this car was 4 cylinder and I was mainly looking at the speed of the car and the ability it has to be driven.

Come to find out, a Porsche sports car needs a 6 cylinder to be a Porsche.😱 Honestly I didn't even consider it an issue until I started reading the Internets opinion on the car. I guess I can't like my car any more. 😔

How did you get over the fact that most car bros think our cars sound bad?

#7 ·
You have purchased one of the best sports cars on the planet. I would pay ZERO attention to the "woke" group. If, you find, after driving your cheetah sans top down some twisty, hilly, back roads that the sound doesn't quite fill your inner ear drums look into some of the aftermarket exhaust systems.... Personally i don't think that will ever happen!

Enjoy your new ride. You are one of the lucky/envied ones.....

Oh, and remember, that those negative posts are from the same people (if you can call them that) that think the Earth is flat......

#9 ·
most idiots on the internet who have opinions on the turbo 718, don't actually own one. You can never truly understand a car without owning it yourself. Even reviewers only get the car for a few hours, or at most a couple of days.

Yeah, it doesn't sound epic like the 981 but nothing does....and never will. Even the new GTS 4.0 doesn't sound that great. Better, but not great. The 718 has major improvements in other areas, just not sound. The ONLY way is by an aftermarket exhaust, opf delete, sports cat and ecu to slightly over fuel the exhaust. That's if you want the pops and crackles and are happy to lose your warranty.

anyway, regarding the sound.....you think the 718 turbo sounds bad, come back here in another 10 years.

#10 ·
Ignore the naysayers who do not even own a Porsche or have not driven the car for more than a few hours and are not capable of forming their own opinion so they mimic what a few “internet journalists” have said/written.

I have actually owned both a 2014 981 and a 2018 982 and if I had to choose would take the 982 every time without hesitation. The 981 is a wonderful car. The 982 is a better version of a wonderful car.

Go drive your new Boxster and enjoy it!

#12 ·
I guess I can't like my car any more. 😔

How did you get over the fact that most car bros think our cars sound bad?
You certainly can't enjoy the car any more, sorry. 😕
I suggest you sell it immediately and buy an old, cheap, clapped out 6 with a trashed exhaust. At least then you'll be happy!

#13 ·
I believe reviewers made damage to Porsche instead of helping the brand, I always wanted a turbo engine from day zero, NA never was an option for me, in my case the torque delivery is what I enjoy in this car, other people prefer sound over the torque delivery, that's why Porsche offers different alternatives in the 718 line up, but you never will get both in one car, you have to choose.
But I never understood the reviewers trying to compare a 6 cylinders NA vs 4 cyl Turbo, it makes no sense and even makes them look silly, it just like saying "I don't like my new blond girlfriend because I do like brunettes"
There are some people that felt bad only because after buying its first Porsche or when started to think in buying one, went to the internet and realize that beautiful Porsche he loved at the dealer showroom does not like to a majority of the old fan base, then your mind says "I don't want to drive the looser car or the ugly little duck", therefore others made your mind, not you.
A four-cylinder always will sound like four cylinders and there are thousands of way more successful cars in four cylinders like the VW GTI? The problem here is "if it is a Porsche, four cylinders sound bad but if the same engine is inside a VW it sounds good"
Enjoy the car, learn to get the most out of your configuration...I'm sure you may get a grin.

#15 ·
:LOL:Thanks for the replys everyone

I did get to drive my car, and probably opened it up more than I should since I'm still below 1000 miles. I have never been this excited about a machine since I had my first sports bike. The thing is wicked fast and it puts a huge grin on my face! I was shocked at how smooth it drove, I didn't know a car could handle that smoothly it honestly makes me think there are no better cars than a Porsche.

Now I'm waiting for my ceramic coating to ship to me. I got the black car so I'm trying to avoid putting more swirls in the paint until I get the coating done, I won't drive it until then.The wait is killing me so I'm drinking all the alcohol I can find until the coating is on and cured. 🍾

#60 ·
I love hearing opinions from car-nuts like me. We seem to share common characteristics besides our passion for driving, including obsession over minor details, hyperactive imaginations about how much of a cars capabilities we will actually use, etc. I was on the other side of this “better sound” discussion with my E92 M3 V8 when the F80s went to turbos. Then a friend got one and let me drive it and I realize how absurd it is to make claims about what is better with the evolutions. It’s not zero sum, the shrieking V8 at 8,200 rpm was great but the turbo wizardry is fabulous. I love them all.

#16 ·
After reading and watching many many car reviews I still ordered the 2.0. No it doesn’t have the sound of a 6 cylinder but it doesn’t pretend to be one. It doesn’t sound like a Subaru either. It sounds like a 4 cylinder Porsche engine.
I would highly suggest you remove the fuse for the soundakator (there’s a thread on here) and you’ll notice that the pumped in boom goes and the sound is more mechanical. Personally I prefer it.

Oh and don’t forget the 4 cylinder has more power than the 981 base and almost as much as the 981S plus the 718 beats both the base and S 981 in 0-60. The 6 cyl May scream it’s arse off when accelerating but you’ll be waving it bye bye at the lights.

If you want more sound, as mentioned, speak to the boys at Soul performance.

#18 ·
I will quote the sensible Bob Ross: “We Want Happy Paintings. Happy Paintings. If You Want Sad Things, Watch The News.” Just adjust that to: if you want sad things, then care about what internet haters have to say!

#20 ·
Keep in mind, your model has a gas particulate filter. You can delete that and replace w/ straight pipes from a couple of vendors. (Around $1700~). Don't quote me, but I believe it will not affect your warranty, and as a USA model, it will not throw an engine code. That GPF isn't even doing anything because the special coating is not on our USA models. It just adds needless back pressure.

#24 ·
I'm old enough to remember when ALL Porsche road cars were 4 cyl. A top magazine (I think it was Car and Driver) wrote an article on the new 911 6 cyl which they loved except for the exhaust tone of the flat 6. They moaned that it "sounded like a Corvair". Oh the horrors! I bought a new 1968 911 anyway.

By the way, I wacked the mufflers off my new 2021 Cayman and fabricated an axle back straight pipe exhaust the first week I had it. Because of the turbo it isn't too loud.

#26 ·
Oddly, I really enjoyed the soundtrack of my 2-speed automatic 1960 Corvair sedan. On the other hand, overall performance was dismal (except the 30 mpg fuel consumption) and handling was consistently inconsistant and downright dangerous when pushed, especially on bumpy or wet surfaces. Similar to the Mustang @DriveInHouston once had, I always felt like the Corvair was trying to kill me.

#27 ·
The original 718, the 914, 924, 944 and 944 turbo were all four pot. I only test drove the demo for 15 mins and saw the look on my dear wife's face, she looked 17 again and as we clambered out at the dealers she looked into my eyes and asked if I was willing to give up on my dream of a Jag F type because this little car made her feel young again and ready for an adventure. She did all the sums and came up with a price that we could afford and we built it to that with the dealer. IDON"T CARE WHAT THE REVIEWERS SAY.......and I don't care what the 911 6 pot snobs say, I have worked all of my life to have a nice car and this little 718 2.0 Litre is going to make us feel young again, it is the perfect car for us and we are going to love it to bits and enjoy every second that we have together in it. Some people never have the funds to have anything like this and we are the lucky ones. Please fall in love with your little Porsche for the right reasons

#28 ·
I bought my Boxster for me. It has what I wanted. If I wanted a 6 cylinder motor, I would have bought it. If my Boxster only went 100mph, I'd still love it. I listen to the radio or my passenger, usually my husband, not the exhaust. I give a $4/7 what any naysaying jerks think or say. I walk towards it, get in, and drive away with a huge smile. My Boxster has a soul. Mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.