Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just emailed photos to my Porsche dealer of the bi-xenon PDLS headlights on my 2017 Cayman S (built July 2016) which has this issue in a bad way.
So, is your car still under warranty?

Replying to myself. Mark Motors here in Ottawa denied my headlight claim and won't do anything to fix it. Next step, a polite letter to Porsche Canada.
You mentioned local dealer, is that who you emailed the photo's too? My suggestion would have been an in personal visit, it makes it harder for them to simply reply 'no' to an email... Now you most certainly need to follow up with Porsche Canada.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I emailed the photo to the dealer in Toronto where I bought the car. They wanted to inspect it before making a decision, but I couldn't find the time to get to Toronto. Mark Motors is the local dealer. They inspected the headlights and, at first, said they couldn't see a problem. When I pushed them, they said the defect is on the outside of the housing (it isn't) and suggested maybe I should avoid tailgating. When I told them I had film on the headlights, they changed their story and said the film was to blame without offering up an explanation as to how it could be. Sigh.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I emailed the photo to the dealer in Toronto where I bought the car. They wanted to inspect it before making a decision, but I couldn't find the time to get to Toronto. Mark Motors is the local dealer. They inspected the headlights and, at first, said they couldn't see a problem. When I pushed them, they said the defect is on the outside of the housing (it isn't) and suggested maybe I should avoid tailgating. When I told them I had film on the headlights, they changed their story and said the film was to blame without offering up an explanation as to how it could be. Sigh.
That is a bummer, the film on the outside is certainly not causing what is happening on the inside! The earlier problem on the 981 headlights was also blamed on the film from time to time, but wait how about the ones that had no film!? It was (and is) a convenient excuse to deny warranty, I would still try your letter to Porsche Canada but would only focus on what is happening on the inside of the housing. ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just throwing this out for opinion. Last week a cold front came through and cleared the coast. The temperature dropped about 25 degrees that night compared to the previous norm. My garage is insulated and stayed pretty warm. That evening when I drove the car and reached my destination, I noticed a lot of condensation on the inside of the lights, I immediately assumed it was caused by the temperature variance. Any possibility the heating of this vapor film by the lights, prior to burn off/evaporation, could be causing the plastic to pit and or crack inside the housing?

·
Super Moderator
1,173 Posts
Just throwing this out for opinion. Last week a cold front came through and cleared the coast. The temperature dropped about 25 degrees that night compared to the previous norm. My garage is insulated and stayed pretty warm. That evening when I drove the car and reached my destination, I noticed a lot of condensation on the inside of the lights, I immediately assumed it was caused by the temperature variance. Any possibility the heating of this vapor film by the lights, prior to burn off/evaporation, could be causing the plastic to pit and or crack inside the housing?
I've got to say "Not likely." After all, Germany has some pretty extreme weather, and if your car was built in Finland then USA winters are mild.😀

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've got to say "Not likely." After all, Germany has some pretty extreme weather, and if your car was built in Finland then USA winters are mild.😀
True, but it was not so much the extreme weather I was thinking about, but the drastic change in temperature from one day to the next. I guess they get that kind of swing in Germany as well depending on the season. Something is causing the plastic to do this. I wonder how hot it does get inside the housing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have similar lights on my other car which has gone through 10 Canadian winters/summers. The weather here goes between extreme cold (-35 degrees in the morning in mid winter) to heat (+35 degrees on summer afternoons). The lights on my other car also have film on them and they are still pristine - no cracking, pitting, yellowing, etc. I'm trying to build goodwill with the local dealership since I didn't buy the car there, but they aren't making it easy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have similar lights on my other car which has gone through 10 Canadian winters/summers. The weather here goes between extreme cold (-35 degrees in the morning in mid winter) to heat (+35 degrees on summer afternoons). The lights on my other car also have film on them and they are still pristine - no cracking, pitting, yellowing, etc. I'm trying to build goodwill with the local dealership since I didn't buy the car there, but they aren't making it easy.
Call Porsche USA. The car is still under warranty. Warranty service from that dealer isn't optional.

I had just this issue years ago at a Toyota dealer in NYC. Purchased a few cars from them thru the years - Toyota Celica and a turbo Supra. While still owning the Supra and having it serviced there, I decided to also get a 4Runner as a daily and Winter driver. It was a hot ticket item at the time. They had 5 on the lot, 4 of which were going to some doctor group. They wouldn't budge a nickel on the 5th so I purchased (lease thru Toyota Motor Credit) one in NJ. Some time later I brought it to the dealer that didn't play well for a warranty issue that I can't recall ATM, and they refused service. While I was sitting in the service line right in the garage with a line of cars behind me, I called TMC and informed them of the issue. They told me to hang up and they would take care of it immediately (heck they still owned the truck) They called the service manager while I was sitting there. I could hear the phone ring and saw him answer thru the glass of the reception area. Two minutes later he walked out and asked me for my key. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Call Porsche USA. The car is still under warranty. Warranty service from that dealer isn't optional.

I had just this issue years ago at a Toyota dealer in NYC. Purchased a few cars from them thru the years - Toyota Celica and a turbo Supra. While still owning the Supra and having it serviced there, I decided to also get a 4Runner as a daily and Winter driver. It was a hot ticket item at the time. They had 5 on the lot, 4 of which were going to some doctor group. They wouldn't budge a nickel on the 5th so I purchased (lease thru Toyota Motor Credit) one in NJ. Some time later I brought it to the dealer that didn't play well for a warranty issue that I can't recall ATM, and they refused service. While I was sitting in the service line right in the garage with a line of cars behind me, I called TMC and informed them of the issue. They told me to hang up and they would take care of it immediately (heck they still owned the truck) They called the service manager while I was sitting there. I could hear the phone ring and saw him answer thru the glass of the reception area. Two minutes later he walked out and asked me for my key. :)
Regarding the first bolded item, the Canadian flag below his name might change that... 😉

Regarding the second item, I am not sure why dealers would play this game, warranty money although perhaps not a lucrative as other maintenance is still money and keeps the lights on and people employed, especially in your case where you tried to purchase from them on that particular vehicle and had in the past.

As for the issues with the lights in these cars, it is most disconcerting! Multi-layer lights like these have been made for years not only for Porsche but many other cars as well, for them to pit, fog and generally disintegrate during normal use is unacceptable especially considering the cost to replace what is an essentially operational/safety item of the vehicle!

·
Registered
374 Posts
@Westcoaster How about Porsche North America? ;)
Hey there, no worries, most people think that PCNA is the same for north of the border, but we actually have a Porsche Cars Canada, dealers have to go through them for new car allocations, technical, warranty concerns and more... but you are correct in your suggestion to go 'above' the dealer. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had similar issues with my headlights. Driver side below. You can clearly see the "crazing" - replaced under warranty last week.

Passenger headlight below. They would not cover this side under warranty. No obvious crazing on this side. Porsche dealer insists the "dots" are all exterior chips. I'm not 100% sure either way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both my headlights were defective with some short of weird spidering from inside lenses. After replacement, my day time led running lights are very distinctively two different colors. The driver side led's give off a ugly yellow hue while the passenger side is blue. What a joke! Working with PCNA and dealer for second set of headlights. One would think Porsche would have better quality control and at least install two darn matching lights! View attachment 24462
Have the spider markings reappeared on the plastic cover of your new headlights? I have the same, and the service person responsible for repairs at the dealer said this is a very common symptom of the current headlight design. The housing is no longer sealed because the high heat generated by the headlights lead the designers to allow air exchange. He said previous model had a sealed housing and did not produce the spider forms. My questions are: how common are these spider markings, what explanation and/or remedy have other owners received, and in case parts were replaced, did the spider markings ever reappear? I am being told, this is very common, the result of an engineering approach, and there is nothing they would recommend doing to get rid of the spiders.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have the spider markings reappeared on the plastic cover of your new headlights? I have the same, and the service person responsible for repairs at the dealer said this is a very common symptom of the current headlight design. The housing is no longer sealed because the high heat generated by the headlights lead the designers to allow air exchange. He said previous model had a sealed housing and did not produce the spider forms. My questions are: how common are these spider markings, what explanation and/or remedy have other owners received, and in case parts were replaced, did the spider markings ever reappear? I am being told, this is very common, the result of an engineering approach, and there is nothing they would recommend doing to get rid of the spiders.
My car had the spidering on my original headlights from brand new. After replacement from what I can tell, I have not had spidering issues. But then again I really haven't checked thoroughly because my headlights are going to be once again replaced for the third time. The problem I am having now has to do with the color temperature of the four dot led lights. After replacement the led's don't match. Anyhow's to answer your question; if your headlights have spidering, they should be replaced under warranty without question. Don't believe everything your service advisor says! It is not common and definitely should not happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car had the spidering on my original headlights from brand new. After replacement from what I can tell, I have not had spidering issues. But then again I really haven't checked thoroughly because my headlights are going to be once again replaced for the third time. The problem I am having now has to do with the color temperature of the four dot led lights. After replacement the led's don't match. Anyhow's to answer your question; if your headlights have spidering, they should be replaced under warranty without question. Don't believe everything your service advisor says! It is not common and definitely should not happen.
Here is an image of one headlamp. The other has a similar issue.
IMG_0618.JPG

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't believe that this should be an acceptable condition with cars at the cost level, I think that these style of headlights present some difficult conditions to keep such a large clear cover absolutely defect free. But at the same time they should have known from previous generations that this is/could be a problem.

I suggest that the clear outside cover should have been designed to be a serviceable item, remove and replace, because for instances like this and impact damage it would have made more sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Westcoaster, here are two better photos showing each headlamp. The member who started this thread said Porsche replaced his headlamp near the end of the factory warranty. That is exactly where I am- factory warranty expires at the end of this month, so this gives me confidence that they will honor the guarantee for this case as well.
IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG

·
Registered
374 Posts
Westcoaster, here are two better photos showing each headlamp. The member who started this thread said Porsche replaced his headlamp near the end of the factory warranty. That is exactly where I am- factory warranty expires at the end of this month, so this gives me confidence that they will honor the guarantee for this case as well. View attachment 25538 View attachment 25539
Please let us know they replace them under warranty, IMHO they should. You can surmise from these photos that the heat along with moisture picked up dust and deposited it on the inner surface of the cover above the light source.

If I had that kind of mark anywhere else on the car I would have the detail spray and microfiber cloth out in an instant, in this case being on the inside you are buffalo' d, replacement or live with it is the only option!

As I said, removable/replaceable outer cover make so much sense here unless the can change the design to mitigate this problem.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts