Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2018 Cayman that is giving me repeat problems with LCA errors. It's been at the dealership for 3 times now with no resolution to the recurring error, which reads "Lane change assist sensors blocked. Clean rear bumper". Dealer has checked all wiring and during the last visit replaced all sensors and related system modules (per dealer). Within days of replacements, I had the same error return 3-4 times during a 40 minute drive. Now dealer has called in help from Porsche Field support. We are expecting a field service tech to arrive within a few weeks.

Has anyone else experienced problems with LCA?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've got a 2018 Cayman that is giving me repeat problems with LCA errors. It's been at the dealership for 3 times now with no resolution to the recurring error, which reads "Lane change assist sensors blocked. Clean rear bumper". Dealer has checked all wiring and during the last visit replaced all sensors and related system modules (per dealer). Within days of replacements, I had the same error return 3-4 times during a 40 minute drive. Now dealer has called in help from Porsche Field support. We are expecting a field service tech to arrive within a few weeks.

Has anyone else experienced problems with LCA?
Sorry for your troubles, buddy. I ordered my car with the same feature. I work at a Porsche dealer, and I've yet to hear a reoccurring issue with the LCA on any of the Porsche Sports Cars (the LCA in the Panamera, Macan, and Cayenne are completely different than the ones found the the 911's or 718's). I'll keep my ears open if I come across anything.

Reactions: Viffermike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for your troubles, buddy. I ordered my car with the same feature. I work at a Porsche dealer, and I've yet to hear a reoccurring issue with the LCA on any of the Porsche Sports Cars (the LCA in the Panamera, Macan, and Cayenne are completely different than the ones found the the 911's or 718's). I'll keep my ears open if I come across anything.
TEST DRyVr, thanks for the response. Hopefully the field service tech gets it resolved.

·
Registered
161 Posts
No issues on my car, 3800 miles. Hopefully they fix it right this time.

Rippey

Reactions: KILRCAR

·
Registered
145 Posts
lane assist

I sure hope the dealer will fix this for you. When I bought my car off the lot, I didn't think much of the lane assist. But after having driven over 10,000 miles on my '17CS , I really appreciate having it.

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
My worry about lane change assist and other "active safety" features is that lazy drivers (way too many on the roads) will stop using their eyes and ears to remain safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks All. I take it to the Dealer on 1/18 so the Factory rep can do the repair. Fingers crossed.... I'll report back on what they find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update. I spoke with the Service Tech today and they now suspect the PPF (Xpel film) which is in the rocker panel area behind the rear wheel. Apparently they swapped the rear bumper from another 718 on the lot with mine and haven't seen the same issue. They plan to do additional testing tomorrow.

I don't believe that's the problem since I spoke with the PPF installer and he has never heard of a problem with any of the hundreds of cars he has wrapped. I should here more in a few days.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i'm no help. i had issues with my lca but it was a result of doing 160+ on 31 degree banking at daytona :) 3 different systems stopped working or gave me errors, but the solution was easy - park the car, lock it, wait 30 mins.

Reactions: KILRCAR

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had a similar issue. I have a 2018 Cayman, 8000 miles now. Three times I have had "Lane Change Assist Unavailable". Not an error, no warning, just non-functioning. The first time it happened, the dealer couldn't get me a loaner for a while -- no big deal I could wait. Before my scheduled appointment, it self-corrected and all was fine.

The second time it went out I got it right in. They found no faults or errors; performed an update to the software and rebooted. It was fine for almost 1 month exactly. Then the same message.

The second time I took it in, I was going on vacation so they had it for a week. This time they found an internal fault causing an invalid yaw rate value. He tested the sensor, brackets, wiring, and calibration. The tech did not find any issues with those systems, so proceeded to remove the bumper and check the rest of the sensors. Nothing was out of the ordinary, and software was up-to-date.

After conferring with PTEC, they were instructed to replace the master LCA control unit. The dealer considered it and decided to replace both master and slave units since this is my second time in with the same issue. Reinstalled, recalibrated, and now back in my hands.

I've only had it back for a couple of days; fingers crossed that all is well. The technician's report (about a page and a half) is pretty interesting read.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts