Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have found (base Boxster PDK 2017, no performance extras) that the best way off the line, for up to 60 mph anyway, is to NOT floor the pedal immediately but start off with somewhere around ½ throttle and then once it's moving give it the rest. This way the 'hesitation' at take-off is nil. A bit of experimenting should show you how to get the best.

One of my frequent fun drives has me cross a two lane highway from a stop sign a couple of times . When I need the quick take-off and use this method I occasionally get wheel spin.
This is exactly right - I have a base Boxster and by far the best way to get it moving quick from a stand-still is to smoothly apply throttle at the start rather than mashing the pedal to the floor. The old addage "Smooth is fast" applies not only to conering for this car, but also for quick starts without LC. While spinning the rear wheels is fun and quite a show, the real way to be quick is to be smooth in virtually all aspects of driving.

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
196 Posts
Unrelated but related, I have not tried LC yet in my GTS (PDK), but I did hammer her hard taking off from a light (the ungraceful mash the go pedal) because the road narrowed to 1 lane. I'd swear that in Sport+, the car held for a split second while revs built up a bit (almost a "mini launch") and took off like a bat outta h**l. I have not noticed this in regular Sport mode. I guess I'll have to try it again for academic purposes :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Honestly, after you've gone electric, nothing can come close.
So I might as well accept that and enjoy it. I'll try playing around with throttle positions when I get to drive her again in the spring.
A lot of exotic car owners install these in their cars. Might help solve your issue.

How does the PedalBox work?
These days, most vehicles are "Drive-by-Wire" (called ECT or ECM), and not cable driven like the old days (called the Bowden cable). The modern systems typically suffer from excessive signal delay, which is where the PedalBox steps in and is able to unlock the vehicle's full potential. What exactly does the PedalBox offer? The "Throttle Response" curve shows the speed at which an engine responds to the driver's pressing of the accelerator. Poor response is clearly evident, especially under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Launch control is great…on someone else’s car! It is one of the reasons I still go to the Atlanta PEC after getting my 718 S. In my brain, I could not abuse my baby without remorse that would spoil the fun. I did consider getting a Mustang GT for stop light drags but my wife held a mirror in front of my 65 year old face.
Same here. I never launched our BS...just didn't have the heart to induce that much stress.

Edit: But, never had any problem justifying track days :sneaky:.

·
Registered
718 Boxster S
72 Posts
I was at a PDE event the last 2 days. One of the first questions the Porsche hosts asked me is if I had launched the car. I said I didn't want to put unnecessary stress on the PDK. He said "Nonsense, you must do it. It is one of the best experiences. And the PDK is bulletproof."

Then over the next 2 days I spent 5 hours chasing a GT3RS, braking hard, shredding my tires and over-revving my engine (IMO) :unsure:

·
Registered
21 Boxster GTS 4.0 - Night Blue
196 Posts
I was at a PDE event the last 2 days. One of the first questions the Porsche hosts asked me is if I had launched the car. I said I didn't want to put unnecessary stress on the PDK. He said "Nonsense, you must do it. It is one of the best experiences. And the PDK is bulletproof."

Then over the next 2 days I spent 5 hours chasing a GT3RS, braking hard, shredding my tires and over-revving my engine (IMO) :unsure:
Sounds like you did it right and had fun to me (y)

·
Registered
2020 Boxster 718 S, Chalk, "Bella Beast"
114 Posts
I've not yet played with Launch Control in mine. Perhaps someday. :)

To me this is more of a physics question than a mechanical one. Peak acceleration is going to be at max power. Because our transmissions have discrete ratios, we have to shift such that we keep the engine running around peak HP. If we had a perfect CVT, we'd just keep it right at max HP. So in practice, since we don't have perfect CVTs, this is why we shift past the peak HP number a lot of times, because right after that shift we'll be right below the peak HP. So we're basically staying in that neighborhood, and bracketing the peak HP mark such that our average rpm is at peak HP.
True, if we replaced the words 'HP' or 'power' in the above with the word 'torque'. Best acceleration happens at maximum torque at the wheels, not at maximum HP.

·
Registered
718 Boxster S
72 Posts
True, if we replaced the words 'HP' or 'power' in the above with the word 'torque'. Best acceleration happens at maximum torque at the wheels, not at maximum HP.
I also asked the question why do we launch at 6000rpm when the max torque is between 1900-4500rpm. There is a more technical explanation on this earlier here, and the same answer came from Porsche - you need power as well as torque for the best launch. At 6000rpm (2.5 S), the power is around 240kW and torque around 390Nm. Not insignificant numbers.
Anyway, if that's what Porsche says, that's how I will do it.

·
Registered
2020 Boxster 718 S, Chalk, "Bella Beast"
114 Posts
I also asked the question why do we launch at 6000rpm when the max torque is between 1900-4500rpm. There is a more technical explanation on this earlier here, and the same answer came from Porsche - you need power as well as torque for the best launch. At 6000rpm (2.5 S), the power is around 240kW and torque around 390Nm. Not insignificant numbers.
Anyway, if that's what Porsche says, that's how I will do it.
Yup. I never argued against elevated RPM the moment before launch (it is understandable why Porsche programs LC as they do). ;)

Can you point me to a Porsche-written statement along the lines of what you wrote: "you need power as well as torque for best launch"? I'd enjoy reading the discussion/statement to understand how their Marketing embellishes the vagueness of the word 'power'. But for sure, Porsche engineers understand and know what they're doing. Their engineers continue to refine their engines and drivetrains for higher and higher torque over the years/decades, and they also have widened the power curve of that torque, both together calculate to higher 'power'. But regardless of the calculated 'power' number, torque is what propels (launches, accelerates).

'Power' is generally misunderstood by the masses (not by Porsche engineers!). Power is a calculation from torque, used for boasting & puffery-of-chest.by the marketers, and is eagerly eaten up by the masses. It still is torque that launches and accelerates (not power). Hence why EV's launch and accelerate so well (very high torque at low rpm).

To the point about elevated launch RPM with an ICE: the moment before launch, the engine RPM is driven above that required for the engine to produce and sustain its peak torque. That 'excess' rpm stores some excess angular momentum in the rotating components. At launch that excess angular momentum (the portion from launch RPM [~6000] down to the RPM the engine can sustain [say ~4000] as is launches) is extracted, adding a slight amount of torque to the wheels. But that still isn't 'power'--it is torque applied at launch.

I hold to first principles of engineering (being a highly educated and experienced mechanical engineer myself), attempting to be clear in such short discussions.
(y)

·
Registered
76 Posts
The owners manual explains how to use launch control and then warns you that using it will cause accelerated wear on the drive train. Huh? Whats wrong with this picture? I don't care that some Porsche fan-boy at a track somewhere is encouraging me to use LC repeatedly or do lotsa cool burnouts. Nagonna happen. Common sense has gotta kick in at some point. LC seems like a marketing gimmick to further justify the huge price for the Sport Chrono option. YMMV.

·
Registered
718 Boxster S
72 Posts
The owners manual explains how to use launch control and then warns you that using it will cause accelerated wear on the drive train. Huh? Whats wrong with this picture? I don't care that some Porsche fan-boy at a track somewhere is encouraging me to use LC repeatedly or do lotsa cool burnouts. Nagonna happen. Common sense has gotta kick in at some point. LC seems like a marketing gimmick to further justify the huge price for the Sport Chrono option. YMMV.
The Porsche guy said the engineers would not have added a function to the vehicle if it should not be used. I never though to question him.

Having just RTFM, I see -
Rectangle Violet Font Magenta Circle

So, we can assume that people who work for Porsche get to launch vehicles which they do not own, and then sell on to us. Perhaps I should have asked would he do it if he had paid for the vehicle? Probably not too often...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts