Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's no 'towing' section for some reason :ROFLMAO: so this seems like the best place to post.

Picked up a Leroy Engineering trailer. The 180 or so miles I put on it to test it out with 2 wheels I don't feel anything. Full independent suspension so no shocks going over bumps. Will get fully tested with all tools and wheels in the next month or so. Also swapping out the ball with one that has some drop instead of rise to get everything nice and level.

·
Registered
932 Posts
That trailer looks really well conceived. Oh the rims match too ;) But if I had one of those, I'd be pulling around a hot tub and a cooler at the beach lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
So, how did you resolve the trailer lighting issue? As I recall you bought a Curt adapter? Can you provide the forum with some instructions for DIY trailer connections?

Cap

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can you give more pics of the hookup and mount on the car?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, how did you resolve the trailer lighting issue? As I recall you bought a Curt adapter? Can you provide the forum with some instructions for DIY trailer connections?

Cap
I poked around with a multimeter and attempted DIY. Unfortunately, there were 8 wires going to the rear left taillight and it wasn't a clear 1:1 with tail, stop, and signal, nor could I figure out which one to splice for shared signal over a PWM system. Since the taillights use much of the same element as left turn. So I headed to my local Uhaul dealer as I figured they see more weird trailer installs than anyone, and they got it working with a splice-free connection using a Tekonsha ZCI Zero Contact Interface Universal ModuLite. Everything works well. I disassembled the interior myself before going to Uhaul so I could see the work and happy with the job they did, $260 total.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll take some pictures this weekend. I'm using a Gururack that has been shown with bike racks in other places on this forum. I've added D rings to the bumper right by the tow hook to connect safety chains to however. One pending update is getting much more drop so the trailer is more level.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll take some pictures this weekend. I'm using a Gururack that has been shown with bike racks in other places on this forum. I've added D rings to the bumper right by the tow hook to connect safety chains to however.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

One pending update is getting much more drop so the trailer is more level.
LOL....I'm running a 14" drop on my Jeep....What do you need? 3/4"? LOL

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I appreciate it!

LOL....I'm running a 14" drop on my Jeep....What do you need? 3/4"? LOL
Haha surprisingly closer to 10", though it may have to be a bit less because of the center exhaust. The trailer is designed for low cars with hitches coming out from under the bumper, whereas on the Cayman it's up at license plate height.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll take some pictures this weekend. I'm using a Gururack that has been shown with bike racks in other places on this forum.
Gururack has been life-changing for me and my bike rack! Love the thing and it’s amazing how many people ask about it when they see it with the rack connected!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Successfully did a weekend with the fully loaded trailer this weekend. About 400 miles round trip. No issues whatsoever.

So not the greatest pictures, but a few extra notes:

1. The license plate is on a bracket that slides down, exposing a cut out area behind it
2. The hitch is welded onto a large plate which is then bolted onto the bumper beam with 4 bolts up and down and 2 bolts front to back. The bumper beam itself is attached to the car with 6 bolts.
3. I had to add 2 D rings for safety chains

The trailer is 285lbs empty. Loaded I'm at around 600 lbs, max allowed weight is 735. I'm keeping the tongue weight around 70 lbs. I don't feel it back there at all. The independent suspension means no shocks are felt when going over bad bumps or expansion joints. I'm not exaggerating when I say I feel this less than pulling an empty UHAUL 6 * 12 behind a RAM when going over bumps or bad pavement.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the Pics! forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, who did you have build the receiver?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the Pics! forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, who did you have build the receiver?
Oliver at Gururack GÜRÜRACK. You can send him your bumper beam and he'll ship back the receiver installed. Or, if you don't want your car sitting with everything off, you can ship him a new impact bar directly.

I ordered mine from 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman S Hatchback 2.5L M/T Bumper Impact Bar. DESIGN, SPORT, REAR - 982807089A | Byers Porsche Parts, Columbus OH

Once he sent me the new one with the receiver, I installed it and shipped the old one to him, he wanted to buy it as perhaps he keeps some in stock. In which case you may not need to buy a new bumper from the link above

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oliver at Gururack GÜRÜRACK. You can send him your bumper beam and he'll ship back the receiver installed. Or, if you don't want your car sitting with everything off, you can ship him a new impact bar directly.

I ordered mine from 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman S Hatchback 2.5L M/T Bumper Impact Bar. DESIGN, SPORT, REAR - 982807089A | Byers Porsche Parts, Columbus OH

Once he sent me the new one with the receiver, I installed it and shipped the old one to him, he wanted to buy it as perhaps he keeps some in stock. In which case you may not need to buy a new bumper from the link above
Perfect, Thank you very much!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts