Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
892 Posts
Yep no mistaking that but it's not really a car for me. I considered buying a 981 series Spyder even though I prefer to run with PDK. Most of my previous cars (and there have been a great many) have been stick shift & it was hardly a deal breaker. I could quite happily live with a manual Porsche again if that was the only option. What was a deal breaker & looks like it will be again is that horrible semi manual roof. It's not because I'm lazy either, it's just not practical where I live & for how I use my car. I've already stated before that on every opportunity either hot or cold I have the roof down. I've lost count of the number of times I've hit a rain shower & needed to close the roof to avoid a soaking. Well on a regular Boxster that's no real problem you just slow down & close the roof whilst moving. However having to find somewhere to actually pull over & get out of the car to close the roof, as with the Spyder is an entirely different proposition. If I had to consider not putting the roof down because there was a possibility of showers & it might not be easy to pull over on some stretches of a planned journey then that would completely alter how I used my car. You don't have to put the roof up in a Boxster immediately in the event of a shower, the aerodynamics will stop you getting wet unless it's quite heavy rain (providing you don't need to slow down too much), but you do need to get the roof up if it's persistent or heavy & that rules out a Spyder for me. Actually that last bit about not getting wet if you keep your speed up always presents somewhat of a dilemma. You're aware that it's raining but you aren't actually getting wet. You're also aware that if it gets much heavier then you probably will do. Obviously you therefore need to put the roof up, but at the same time you know that when you slow down sufficiently to do so you'll get a little wet as you disrupt the airflow. :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
For me the missing PDK is more a problem than the roof. But both together make me pass on the 718 Spyder again. Same 2,5 years ago with the 981 Spyder.
I more into the GT4 RS right now, because I assume that also the GT4 will come only with manual.

·
892 Posts
For me the missing PDK is more a problem than the roof. But both together make me pass on the 718 Spyder again. Same 2,5 years ago with the 981 Spyder.
I more into the GT4 RS right now, because I assume that also the GT4 will come only with manual.
I fully take your point & whilst I still would much prefer a PDK, I do also like Porsche manual gear boxes. Porsche certainly don't help the overall appeal of the car by not giving the option & also hamper the cars performance. However they do still sell them all with ease so it's clearly not too much of an issue for many. I do think it's a little unfair in some ways though, as given an actual choice there's no question I'd take PDK every single time. The other thing I dislike about the Spyder though is that it looks a little like someone has pitched a tent on your roof. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
The roof is a pain, the looks and the handling and the noises when driving closed.
Second I dont like this humps on the back.

I want the normal Boxster with engine, suspension, brakes of the Spyder.

Reactions: Shark

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm actually liking the humps. The whole rear of the car looks great imo. But I don't want to deal with a semi-manual roof - huge pain.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have to say that its looking really good to me, the whole bikini top and rear humps add that extra bit to design i was always looking for but just couldn't put my finger on. For some people this new design in black might not cut it but in different colors it could prove to be a winner, wheel options are another thing to consider as well.

·
892 Posts
The roof is a pain, the looks and the handling and the noises when driving closed.
Second I dont like this humps on the back.

I want the normal Boxster with engine, suspension, brakes of the Spyder.
Now you're talking, we don't always agree on everything but that's spot on in line with my ideal Boxster as well. I want PDK, I don't want to lose the convenience of the full auto roof & the standard car still looks far better to my eyes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's why I changed to look for the GT4 (and keep the 981 Boxster GTS) and not anymore for a Spyder to replace the Boxster GTS. Too many disadvantages.

·
Registered
476 Posts
get the best of both worlds... i have my 718 CS and an 83 targa :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Even with 200lbs. weight advantage from deleting power top, interior door handles, radio and a/c, the current 981-gen Spyder just lags the 718 Boxster S on track and strip Porsche Boxster Spyder vs Porsche 718 Boxster S - FastestLaps.com (PDK helps the 718 times, offset by the Spyder's power/weight edge)

To me, the remarkable thing remains what the new formula accomplishes with its mid-engined/turbo-4 package, not what the old formula might do with the latest detuned 911 GT3 engine. Here's my proper Spyder formula: take 200lbs. of mostly unsprung weight out of the 718 Boxster GTS with PCCB and the new ultra-light carbon-fiber Turbo rims with Michelin Pilot Cup rubber, and tweak the 2.5 tune beyond 400hp (which is likely close to its true power now). That will run (Nurburg)rings around the current Spyder/GT4 on track. And still transform into uber-efficient stealth mode when cruising home off-boost (and raise the cab top without stopping when it rains...).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts