Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my disappointment that my configured 718 Boxster S will now have to go without the LED headlight upgrade and Bose upgrade due to chip shortages 馃槖. Ordered the car in early 2021 and stumbled again. Ufff ,

Registered
Just wanted to share my disappointment that my configured 718 Boxster S will now have to go without the LED headlight upgrade and Bose upgrade due to chip shortages 馃槖. Ordered the car in early 2021 and stumbled again. Ufff ,
I ordered my BS in April 2021 and it arrived Feb 2022. I couldn't afford a lot of options and had neither Bose nor Led. I have basic bi xenon and standard Head unit. I don't have PASM or rain sensing wipers or radar cruise either. Easier to say just got BS plus PDK, 14 way memory seats, folding wing mirrors, multifunction steering wheel and basic cruise. It is the best car I could ever hope to have. The lights are fine at night on unlit roads crossing the moors and as good as any other car I have driven including an Audi A3 S line with full Led. I only have a single square Led DLR and not the 4 points Led DLR that 911 and Taycan have but meh, I am happy with what I have

Registered
GTS 4.0 (maybe September?), BMW 750i xDrive
I talked with my dealership about this change in the configurator as well according to him this only affects new orders.

If you load an old configuration on porsche-code.com, at least in Germany, it will tell you that the items are being removed however it also says that they are not available for new orders after the 3rd of August.

Also most configurators I checked still offered LED light like the Italien one in Australia they seem to be standard ...

Bose is still available in all configurators I checked if you select the GTS or one of the GT models. It also states that it won't be available for standard, T and S models till the end of the year.

Registered
I talked with my dealership about this change in the configurator as well according to him this only affects new orders.

If you load an old configuration on porsche-code.com, at least in Germany, it will tell you that the items are being removed however it also says that they are not available for new orders after the 3rd of August.

Also most configurators I checked still offered LED light like the Italien one in Australia they seem to be standard ...

Bose is still available in all configurators I checked if you select the GTS or one of the GT models. It also states that it won't be available for standard, T and S models till the end of the year.
For those of us who are still waiting for an allocation, maybe there's a bright side. Hopefully they'll be back by the time I get to order a car.

Reactions: Treemagnet

Registered
The black headlight upgrade is stunning and doesn't look as dorky (to me) as the LED headlights and I see everyone getting LED headlights for Porsches they never drive at night? Find a Cayman T somewhere and check out the all black regular headligts they put on those. They look amazing. If you drive at night all the time then yes LED would be nice, but seriously, I see all these people every weekend with LEDs and they never drive at night! Are you cruising the autobahn at night at high speed?

Bose...bose doesn't sound that great, it adds weight as well. The base radio is not great, but not as bad, as the LED-headlight-buying-for-daytime-only crowd says and conversely, Bose is not that great and adds weight.

So just saying, this might be a blessing in disguise.

Here check out the Cayman T all black headlights. You can spec those on the S as well. Ignore the bright square, that is not chrome, it is light reflection on the lens as well as the area around the back of the elipse. In person they are all black and stunning.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Parallel

Registered
The black headlight upgrade is stunning and doesn't look as dorky (to me) as the LED headlights and I see everyone getting LED headlights for Porsches they never drive at night? Find a Cayman T somewhere and check out the all black regular headligts they put on those. They look amazing. If you drive at night all the time then yes LED would be nice, but seriously, I see all these people every weekend with LEDs and they never drive at night! Are you cruising the autobahn at night at high speed?

Here check out the Cayman T all black headlights. You can spec those on the S as well. Ignore the bright square, that is not chrome, it is light reflection on the lens as well as the area around the back of the elipse. In person they are all black and stunning.

View attachment 45318
Personally, I like the look of these headlights the most as well too. The PDLS+ LED cluster has too much of a robotic eye look to them when the overall style of the Cayman is very organic. The PDLS black housing lights are much more organic and look like they were designed at the same time as the rest of the car whereas the LEDs were designed to conform with the corporate design language of the LED clusters across the model line up and look almost aftermarket in how they fill in the 982's light housing. I have the LED PDLS+ in my Macan but that was mainly because I didn't like how the regular PDLS had a non-functional lens that was a vestige of the halogen illuminated ones that was the base selection in Europe. Fortunately, the light housings of the Macan are just slightly more square looking when viewed straight on than stretched back tear drop shape of the 982 headlights so the 4 point LED elements are spaced out in the housing in the Macan a little more evenly. This is just from my personal style perspective only. The LED PDLS+ definitely illuminate the road better at night than the Xenon PDLS though.

Registered
If you've already ordered the car and you have an allocation then you'll get your options. I, however, you haven't got a confirmed build slot then you won't get the options sadly.

These things do fall off from time to time but they do come back on after a couple of weeks. fingers crossed they'll come back.

Premium Member
If you've already ordered the car and you have an allocation then you'll get your options. I, however, you haven't got a confirmed build slot then you won't get the options sadly.

These things do fall off from time to time but they do come back on after a couple of weeks. fingers crossed they'll come back.
Where did you learn this? I am wondering if my June 14, 2022 factory allocation-order is within the cut-off.

I looked tonight at My Porsche tracker and... the PDLS+ system is GONE! :mad:

I will of course ask my sales person tomorrow. I really cannot do without the LED lights. I drive about 70% at night in the country and this is will be my main vehicle. Disturbing.

Registered
so are you using the configurator or track your dream?

The configurator will change if the parts are not available. If you are just putting in your build code it will show the new price adjusted for the unavailable parts.

If you have an allocated build slot and your build is confirmed then you will be ok.

Premium Member
so are you using the configurator or track your dream?

The configurator will change if the parts are not available. If you are just putting in your build code it will show the new price adjusted for the unavailable parts.

If you have an allocated build slot and your build is confirmed then you will be ok.
I am looking at the Track Your Dream page. It is missing on the build. I do have an allocated and confirmed slot for nearing two months now.

I noticed this on Rennlist:

They seem to believe, most of them, that 718's no longer have LED options. :(

Very bad confusion!

Registered
GTS 4.0 (maybe September?), BMW 750i xDrive
That would be very unfortunate, I won't accept delivery of the car without LED light. I won't get a 100k car in 2022 with Xenon. My last 3 cars didn't have Xenon and I won't go back.

Registered
where does it say on track your dream they are no longer on your car? If you are looking at the little picture that won't update for some time. Mine only changed from having 18 inch wheels on it a few weeks ago so don't get too hung up about it.

Best to check with your SA though.

Don't forget that PDLS+ are super heavy ;)

Registered
I鈥檓 not sure why some of you are complaining about the headlights. I have xenon lights and they are much brighter than LED lights. 鈥淚n a xenon headlight, electric current passes through the xenon gas to create an arc between two electrodes and generate intense white or bluish light that is often brighter than LEDs. On dark roads, some xenon lights are so bright that even the low beams can blind oncoming drivers. To compensate, cars with xenon lights often have leveling systems that automatically adjust the beam pattern when the lights are turned on.鈥 :unsure:

Registered
Cayman GTS 4.0
I鈥檓 not sure why some of you are complaining about the headlights. I have xenon lights and they are much brighter than LED lights. 鈥淚n a xenon headlight, electric current passes through the xenon gas to create an arc between two electrodes and generate intense white or bluish light that is often brighter than LEDs. On dark roads, some xenon lights are so bright that even the low beams can blind oncoming drivers. To compensate, cars with xenon lights often have leveling systems that automatically adjust the beam pattern when the lights are turned on.鈥 :unsure:
The Xenons fitted on the 718 aren't powerful enough to require a washer and levelling system and the lesser spec LED are lower wattage than the PDLS+ lights. Only the PDLS+ LEDs are bright enough to require the washers.

Xenons or LEDs that dazzle on dip are badly adjusted.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts