Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Xenons fitted on the 718 aren't powerful enough to require a washer and levelling system and the lesser spec LED are lower wattage than the PDLS+ lights. Only the PDLS+ LEDs are bright enough to require the washers.

Xenons or LEDs that dazzle on dip are badly adjusted.
My 718 Porsche Cayman Bi-Xenon headlights have automatic headlight leveling. Dynamic Cornering Light and Speed-Dependent Headlight Range Control. The speed-dependent headlight range control increases light distribution after 3,300 feet at 68 mph or higher, or immediately after 81 mph and above. I’m very satisfied with Xenon headlights in the amount of light distribution at night. Don’t need any more brightness for night driving. Led are lower wattage but I don't have to pay extra for electicity with Xenon higher wattage. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Cayman GTS 4.0
211 Posts
My 718 Porsche Cayman Bi-Xenon headlights have automatic headlight leveling. Dynamic Cornering Light and Speed-Dependent Headlight Range Control. The speed-dependent headlight range control increases light distribution after 3,300 feet at 68 mph or higher, or immediately after 81 mph and above. I’m very satisfied with Xenon headlights in the amount of light distribution at night. Don’t need any more brightness for night driving. Led are lower wattage but I don't have to pay extra for electicity with Xenon higher wattage. :ROFLMAO:
I was thinking more of the base Xenon lights. The Xenon PDLS option isn't much cheaper than the LED PDLS+ used to be.

The Xenon PDLS optional lights now show headlight washers on the configurator. I thought they didn't - my bad memory unless it's changed with LED being withdrawn.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was thinking more of the base Xenon lights. The Xenon PDLS option isn't much cheaper than the LED PDLS+ used to be.

The Xenon PDLS optional lights now show headlight washers on the configurator. I thought they didn't - my bad memory unless it's changed with LED being withdrawn.
Xenon PDLS always had headlight washers in the UK. It may get confusing as I’m not sure the base xenons are available in the US?

·
Registered
327 Posts
LED lights and Bose were/ are must have options for me.

I do think it’s crazy that in 2022 you have to pay Porsche extra for them, much cheaper cars are coming standard with them.

And Bose is definitely a requirement if you like to listen to music in the car, those who say it doesn’t make a difference or doesn’t sound good must be deaf or not have it setup correctly

·
Registered
GTS 4.0 (maybe September?), BMW 750i xDrive
35 Posts
The washers don't seem to follow a specific logic in Germany you don't need washers when you have LED but you always need them with Xenon. If you order GTS with LED you get them if you order a GT4 or Spyder with LED you don't get them.

·
Registered
Cayman GTS 4.0
211 Posts
The washers don't seem to follow a specific logic in Germany you don't need washers when you have LED but you always need them with Xenon. If you order GTS with LED you get them if you order a GT4 or Spyder with LED you don't get them.
It is EU regulations. The light source is irrelevant - it's how much light is measured at a given distance.

Typically LED without a washer system have 25W bulbs and higher output LED that do require them are 35W.

Edit: If the light source is > 2000 lumens a headlight cleaning system is required.

ECE-R48 section 6.2, ECE-R98 and ECE-R112

·
Registered
589 Posts
Where did you learn this? I am wondering if my June 14, 2022 factory allocation-order is within the cut-off.

I looked tonight at My Porsche tracker and... the PDLS+ system is GONE! :mad:

I will of course ask my sales person tomorrow. I really cannot do without the LED lights. I drive about 70% at night in the country and this is will be my main vehicle. Disturbing.
I stopped by my dealer this morning (8/06) and asked about what is / isn't in production for the 718 lines

No PDLS+ (LED headlights) are available for MY '23

he said that he hadn't heard anything about Bose audio not being available - but mentioned that cars have been built / shipped without the Bose amplifier modules installed on the assembly line

Today he was prepping a '22 CGT4 for customer delivery that was waiting for its Bose amplifier - which had just been installed into the car.
- until that was installed the radio wasn't functional

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I’m not sure why some of you are complaining about the headlights. I have xenon lights and they are much brighter than LED lights. “In a xenon headlight, electric current passes through the xenon gas to create an arc between two electrodes and generate intense white or bluish light that is often brighter than LEDs. On dark roads, some xenon lights are so bright that even the low beams can blind oncoming drivers. To compensate, cars with xenon lights often have leveling systems that automatically adjust the beam pattern when the lights are turned on.” :unsure:
Good to know - Thanks !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where did you learn this? I am wondering if my June 14, 2022 factory allocation-order is within the cut-off.

I looked tonight at My Porsche tracker and... the PDLS+ system is GONE! :mad:

I will of course ask my sales person tomorrow. I really cannot do without the LED lights. I drive about 70% at night in the country and this is will be my main vehicle. Disturbing.
Did you ever hear back?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can confirm. LED headlamps are not available in Estonia for both base and GTS versions. BOSE is still available for both.
My salesman said he sent the order last week. I wonder if the config was locked. LED lamps are a must for me.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Xenon PDLS always had headlight washers in the UK. It may get confusing as I’m not sure the base xenons are available in the US?
US used to get base Xenons standard and they were the only headlights without washers. See my avatar picture.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Xenons fitted on the 718 aren't powerful enough to require a washer and levelling system and the lesser spec LED are lower wattage than the PDLS+ lights. Only the PDLS+ LEDs are bright enough to require the washers.

Xenons or LEDs that dazzle on dip are badly adjusted.
The PDLS xenon with 35w bulb also requires washer (black bi xenon) and is much more powerful than the basic 25w silver xenon

ALso don't understand the whining about the LEDs as the middle tier lights (xenon pdls) are really good and at least they are not blue like the LEDs.
Much better in rain and snow IMHO

·
Registered
Cayman GTS 4.0
211 Posts
The PDLS xenon with 35w bulb also requires washer (black bi xenon) and is much more powerful than the basic 25w silver xenon

ALso don't understand the whining about the LEDs as the middle tier lights (xenon pdls) are really good and at least they are not blue like the LEDs.
As I said previously, the light source is irrelevant regarding the requirement for washers (No idea about non EU/UK legislation).

If the light output is > 2000 lumens it's required to have washers.

My 987 Boxster and Cayman both had halogen. Anything is good after that.

·
Registered
589 Posts
the US still doesn't get the Euro spec LED lights - keep in mind it was only 1986 when the US FMVSS and DOT finally approved non sealed beam headlights...

around that time halogen headlights were almost like a miracle. talk about the "dark ages"

I think I saw the first Xenon / HID lights in 1989 when the BMW 7 series had them available in the 'states

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Did you ever hear back?
yes. so far the PDLS+ are yanked from all 718's. They did not know about this until I came in. They saw "stop orders" about to not order various things on models two days ago. however, they did not know about the yanking of features from existing allocations about to be built. They are looking into it for me and seeing if they can do anything about it in some one off manner.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts

what do you mean by that?

·
Registered
151 Posts
As I said previously, the light source is irrelevant regarding the requirement for washers (No idea about non EU/UK legislation).

If the light output is > 2000 lumens it's required to have washers.

My 987 Boxster and Cayman both had halogen. Anything is good after that.
No
You sad that the xenon is not powerful enough to require washer what is not true for the PDLS xenon as it has the washer . The basic 25w silver is the one what is not powerful enough. (Although you can change the ballast and bulb to 35w and will be powerful for cheap)
I know (probably most of us) that the requirement is about lumens not the type of source.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts