Porsche 718 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2018 718 Cayman
17 Posts
Is that 500 for the First Editions? Or...
I did not ask, he was giving me the full sales pitch on how these will be selling for over MSRP in the used market like the C8 is due to the limited numbers (So I tuned him out but I assumed it was 500 for 2022 being the First Editions).

Having owned an Evora S in the past, exclusivity does not equal sales. There is currently a 100+ 2021 Evora GT's for sale on cars.com at or below MSRP, you can barely find a Cayman GT4 that is for sale and if it is, it is well over MSRP. I do not think Lotus will have the same demand as a Corvette, Shelby Mustang, or GT Porsche car. These are just two different animals. I am shocked however how similar the Emira looks to the Saleen S1 that never made it to fruition. I assume the Chinese company that stole the design from Steve Saleen must have sold it to Lotus.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I did not ask, he was giving me the full sales pitch on how these will be selling for over MSRP in the used market like the C8 is due to the limited numbers (So I tuned him out but I assumed it was 500 for 2022 being the First Editions).

Having owned an Evora S in the past, exclusivity does not equal sales. There is currently a 100+ 2021 Evora GT's for sale on cars.com at or below MSRP, you can barely find a Cayman GT4 that is for sale and if it is, it is well over MSRP. I do not think Lotus will have the same demand as a Corvette, Shelby Mustang, or GT Porsche car. These are just two different animals. I am shocked however how similar the Emira looks to the Saleen S1 that never made it to fruition. I am assume the Chinese company that stole the design from Steve Saleen must have sold it to Lotus. View attachment 32992
Blue Lotus Emira and Red Saleen almost the same.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The space under the center console makes the shifter look like a toy elecronic game console since there's no illusion of a gearbox underneath (at least with the automatic tranny, the manual apparently will have linkage exposed? who knows because that car in a MT will not be seen in the wild). And what's with the gaping, angular cracks in the hood?

·
Registered
508 Posts
It would be hard for me to put down a non-refundable deposit on a car where details like chassis, suspension, and complete specs are not available. Not to mention detailed/ accurate pricing still seems to be up in the air. I’ll call around tomorrow and see what in my area. Well..at least they aren’t asking for a $250k loan like Tesla did three years ago...and counting....

(FYI, I checked the UK website. Over there it is a £2000 refundable deposit to order a car.)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I like it and think it looks significantly better than the C8, but like others have said, build quality, specs, and price would have to be a known thing before I would even consider it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I spoke to one of my local dealers today about the car. As expected the didn’t have much more info than what has been released by the company. Most of the dealers I talk to are pretty circumspect about details and aren’t nearly as likely to speculate as people online. :)

Anyway, they are keeping a “ list“ of potential buyers but not taking deposits yet. ( Even though their website said they are taking “ pre-orders”). They said they expect to announce shortly if they will actually take cash deposits ( expected to be refundable). Expected delivery late Spring of 2022. Allocations unknown.

I’m on the list now. Personally, if the V6/ manual combination stays in production for a second model year, I could see myself waiting for some normal bugs to be worked out and an expected better selection of options/colors. I’m not really an early adopter type most of the time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I’d consider one after I know more about the car and I know that the bugs have been worked out. They also do not have a dealer here in Phoenix so I have questions about servicing. I expressed interest and below is what I got from the Las Vegas dealer.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the new 2022 Lotus Emira! We are eagerly waiting for the opportunity to earn your business. We ARE actively taking deposits on the Emira. We do want to disclose that these deposits are very preliminary as cars will land about a year and we are receiving high volumes of interest.

PLEASE DO NOT CALL (if possible)

HOW IT WORKS;
If you're wanting to continue with a deposit, we are doing credit card authorization forms via DocuSign directly to your email address.

FAQ
  • Deposits at this time are refundable up until we confirm an actual order.
  • We are not committing in writing to selling at MSRP but intend to sell to our depositors at MSRP
  • We are not committing in writing at this point in time of exact position of our depositors due to unknown allocation numbers
  • At the time writing this email we have approximately 7 depositors

IF YOU'D LIKE TO PROCEED PLEASE REPLY WITH:
  • FIRST NAME, LAST NAME
  • A PICTURE OF YOUR PHOTO ID
  • YOUR BEST EMAIL ADDRESS

Thanks,

·
Registered
508 Posts
“Please Do Not Call”. Roflmao

At least my dealer was pleasant and tried to answer any questions he could. They were even a bit hesitant to take a deposit because there were so many unanswered details regarding the car. The Vegas guys sound like they would be a real piece of work to deal with. “ send money...maybe we’ll talk to you”.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Emira looks much cleaner than the C8 Corvette, which IMO Chevy stole from the Evora, to which they added a Camaro rear-end look and lots of weird angles.
I actually prefer the Evora to the Emira.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts