Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love this thing. I think it's gorgeous. This might be my graduation present to myself when I complete my doctorate. I was thinking it would be a GT4 but I can't stop looking at this exotic creature. Stunning.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
I love this thing. I think it's gorgeous. This might be my graduation present to myself when I complete my doctorate. I was thinking it would be a GT4 but I can't stop looking at this exotic creature. Stunning.
Go for it. There are many posts stating the Lotus Evora feels more alive than our 718's do. The Emira will likely be similar, given the same engine and similar weight. I have an Elise and I attribute the spartan-ness to intentional design that is not compromised by marketers who want to sell to everyone. The spartan-ness of Lotus is not poor build quality, it is tilted towards all-out performance.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What i liked the most in seeing the Emira is that finally a lotus that doesn't look like it was built in a shed with spare parts. My best friend had an elise and then an exige and they were fun cars but not nearly the quality or the caliber to be a daily driver. The emira looks like it actually could be a daily driver which is promising.

Reactions: Porsche Wanderer

·
Registered
531 Posts
Again, I respond, if Porsche Entry and Drive, dual climate control and 18 way seats are important then Lotus may not be for you. Driving feel and performance are #1 in a Lotus.

As an aside, I ran into a fellow Porsche enthusiast yesterday, and he relayed how the installation of Ohlin coil-overs transformed the handling on his 2015 Cayman S. His response to my question of how is that possible: "Porsche develops cars for the masses and the suspension required for extreme performance is not palatable to many." Just look at what Porsche has done to the 911 over the years as proof.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just put down a deposit on the Emira after test driving an Evora GT. It wasn’t better than my Cayman 718 GTS 2.5T, just different - more raw and intense. It reminded me a bit of how I felt when I test drove a cayman after test driving a 992 911 C4S: more nimble, stiff, light, connected, go-kart like.

Only concerns would be loss of storage space, dealer network, and torque from the turbo. But it’s a Toyota engine so should be okay. And my wife can ride with her suitcase in the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
271 Posts
I just put down a deposit on the Emira after test driving an Evora GT. It wasn’t better than my Cayman 718 GTS 2.5T, just different - more raw and intense. It reminded me a bit of how I felt when I test drove a cayman after test driving a 992 911 C4S: more nimble, stiff, light, connected, go-kart like.

Only concerns would be loss of storage space, dealer network, and torque from the turbo. But it’s a Toyota engine so should be okay. And my wife can ride with her suitcase in the front passenger seat.
Certainly tempted to do the same…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 718 Cayman
17 Posts
After owning an Evora S for a couple years, do not expect the same ownership experience that you have with a Porsche. Getting parts for warranty work is a nightmare, fit and finish is suspect. I waited over 8 months for a replacement dash since mine warped like crazy after 1000 miles in the Texas heat (See picture of passenger side airbag cover turning itself into a taco). Also, the Lotus ECU is extremely sensitive to voltage drops. You have to treat this thing like an electric car and plug it in to a tender if you let is sit for more than a couple days. Mine did some CRAZY stuff when voltage dropped just a little bit. Lotus Limp Mode is not fun...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Noted on your dash warp. 944's did that too. I live in Austin and would not leave ANY of my cars parked in the sun for long.

·
Registered
2018 718 Cayman
17 Posts
Noted on your dash warp. 944's did that too. I live in Austin and would not leave ANY of my cars parked in the sun for long.
Same on leaving outside....damage was done while with the dealer. Was so common, most Lotus Dealers did warranty claims on their lot stock and would not install the replacement dash until the car was sold.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have a current model Aston Martin. Ownership experience isn’t anywhere near that of a Porsche. ****, it took me 5 months and a call to HQ to get floor mats. Given the size of Lotus, I’m thinking it could be even worse. Lotus has about half as many dealerships in the US as Aston, IIRC.

By the way, I use a sun shade in the dash of my Aston. Never did that with my Porsches...or Audi...or BMW....

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Always use a dash sunshade (Costco) on all our cars when parked in the sun, even during short stops. Never saw any aging on our BS leather or plastic. One side note, the dash on our 2014 Suburban (with 303 protectant since day one) still looks perfectly new. Of course, the BS didn't displace our land barge from the garage until April 2019. Regardless, no evidence of aging after 7 years and 79K miles of dreadfully hot south Texas sun speaks fairly well for sunshades and 303...YMMV.

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
271 Posts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: RotorOver

·
Registered
91 Posts
Love everything so far about the Emira. Definitely do not want the Lotus ownership experience so I‘ll let others beta test the Emira. If they can come close to the Porsche experience I’ll consider one.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have an Emira pre-order. Although I expect the Emira to be a major improvement over the Evora, I took a trip to the Lotus dealer to kick the Evora tires and take a test drive. I’ve not really taken much notice of Lotus in the past. I remember pondering the Elise back in something like 2005 but bought a Boxster S instead. Never really looked back.

So, after about 15 years I pop into a Lotus dealership. The looks of the Evora isn’t my th8ng but I ignore that issue. I’m there jus5 to see if I can read some tea leaves rega4dingnwhat to expect for the Emira. First, the build of the Evora is...well..cheaply..to be polite. Some of the exterior plastic seams crappy. The corner reflectors looked like something they nivpcked from my bicycle. I had to laugh at the “LOTUS” on the back. It was viny. I’m sure it had to be marketed as weight savings, LOL. I couldn’t get the drivers side mirror to adjust properly. Only really got a view of the rear quarter. Salesperson said the car had some quirks, :) I didn’t think the interior was as bad but not up to a modern 6 figure price tag. Once again, not great plastics and not much higher quality material. The seats were really comfy. Storage nowhere near as practical asthat of a Cayman or Boxster..but...but...you could put a small to medium size dog in the back seat!

Base car comes with two piece rotors. Nice upgrade over most pedestrian Porsches. The seats were very comfortable and supportive, IMO. Fully manual but fine for me since I avoid electric seats.

Test drive was a total disaster. The car had 45 miles on it and I guess that was enough. The car wouldn’t shift properly ( the auto) and refused to go over 4000 rpms. Then the check engine light came on..drive was over almost as soon as it started. Since I wasn’t going to buy an Evora, I didn’t insist a different car ( and the salesperson didn’t seem to be offering.)

I did like the steering and the chassis felt good for the short drive.

My wife was there. I got the “ You wouldn’t buy this POS?” look and “What makes you think the new car is going to be any better?” I wish I had a good answer.

·
Registered
2018 718 Cayman
17 Posts
I have an Emira pre-order. Although I expect the Emira to be a major improvement over the Evora, I took a trip to the Lotus dealer to kick the Evora tires and take a test drive. I’ve not really taken much notice of Lotus in the past. I remember pondering the Elise back in something like 2005 but bought a Boxster S instead. Never really looked back.

So, after about 15 years I pop into a Lotus dealership. The looks of the Evora isn’t my th8ng but I ignore that issue. I’m there jus5 to see if I can read some tea leaves rega4dingnwhat to expect for the Emira. First, the build of the Evora is...well..cheaply..to be polite. Some of the exterior plastic seams crappy. The corner reflectors looked like something they nivpcked from my bicycle. I had to laugh at the “LOTUS” on the back. It was viny. I’m sure it had to be marketed as weight savings, LOL. I couldn’t get the drivers side mirror to adjust properly. Only really got a view of the rear quarter. Salesperson said the car had some quirks, :) I didn’t think the interior was as bad but not up to a modern 6 figure price tag. Once again, not great plastics and not much higher quality material. The seats were really comfy. Storage nowhere near as practical asthat of a Cayman or Boxster..but...but...you could put a small to medium size dog in the back seat!

Base car comes with two piece rotors. Nice upgrade over most pedestrian Porsches. The seats were very comfortable and supportive, IMO. Fully manual but fine for me since I avoid electric seats.

Test drive was a total disaster. The car had 45 miles on it and I guess that was enough. The car wouldn’t shift properly ( the auto) and refused to go over 4000 rpms. Then the check engine light came on..drive was over almost as soon as it started. Since I wasn’t going to buy an Evora, I didn’t insist a different car ( and the salesperson didn’t seem to be offering.)

I did like the steering and the chassis felt good for the short drive.

My wife was there. I got the “ You wouldn’t buy this POS?” look and “What makes you think the new car is going to be any better?” I wish I had a good answer.
What you saw happen was the car's normal response to low voltage. If I did not put mine on a battery tender, it would do that in just a couple days of not driving. I can only imagine the Emira being even worse since it has WAY more tech than an Evora does therefore more items to cause that parasitic battery drain.

·
Registered
508 Posts
That’s interesting. Unfortunately, I don’t think the salesperson had any idea what the issue was. I would have liked to have a thorough test driver after driving 1 1/2 hours each way.

On the one hand, I normally wouldn’t go out of my way to buy the first year of a new model. I’m in the ” let the company work the bugs out” camp. On the other, given how few cars Lotus makes, it could take many years to identify and work out issues, so maybe it just doesn’t matter. There also not much known about just how long the Emira will come with the 6 cyl/MT combination.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts