Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still on my first tank of fuel (64L tank and only had car 1 week) and i was wondering when I can expect the low fuel warning to sound or display ?
What sort of mileage range is usually remaining when this point is reached ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm still on my first tank of fuel (64L tank and only had car 1 week) and i was wondering when I can expect the low fuel warning to sound or display ?
What sort of mileage range is usually remaining when this point is reached ?
If memory serves me right it’s either 25 or 50 miles left in the tank.
The small right hand dash info screen will display a big yellow warning that your low on fuel, so you can’t ignore it.

·
Super Moderator
1,823 Posts
Yellow = below 50 miles. Large pump icon that appears in MFD is permanently defeatable until you shut off and restart the car. A small yellow pump icon will remain next to the fuel gauge.

Red = below 30 miles. Large icon that appears in MFD is temporarily defeatable; it will return every 5 minutes or so. A small red pump icon will remain next to the fuel gauge.

Keep in mind that the low-fuel warnings are not triggered only by the remaining volume of fuel, as in many other cars; they are triggered by a combination of that and a computed distance estimate based on your driving habits since resetting the trip computer. This can make a world of difference ... and it's why the low-fuel warning will often sound, then disappear for a time if you're, say, on a highway. The remaining-range measurement will go above 50/30 miles for this reason, too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Actually, the MPG on the trip computer on my car (2018C 6MT) is regularly about 2 mpg too high. So, while I may be getting 24 MPG, the trip computer will show that I am getting 26 MPG. The result is that my actual range remaining is less than what is displayed on my trip computer, which is problematic. Every other car that I have owned in the last 15 years has understated remaining range, for obvious reasons. I brought this to the attention of my service adviser and they ran some checks and said that there was nothing that they could do.

What I recommend is that for the first 3 or 4 fill-ups manually calculate your MPG to compare it against what the trip computer says so you know if you can trust the trip computer.

YMMV (literally).

·
Registered
71 Posts
I really don't understand why anyone gets this low. I always fill right up when my fuel gauge reads 1/4 full.

My wife relies on 25 mpg left on her Audi before filling up, drives me nuts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I really don't understand why anyone gets this low. I always fill right up when my fuel gauge reads 1/4 full.

My wife relies on 25 mpg left on her Audi before filling up, drives me nuts.
I am with you, unless you are on a road trip with a big stretch between fills there is no need to run that low. You are only increasing your chances of getting a gut full of crud from the bottom of the tank

·
Registered
29 Posts
So my already low MPG is actually lower than the computer is telling me? Wow! :D

I was a bit MPG and actual mileage sensitive when I had my previous 981 CGTS...I actually found I was taking the fun out of owning the car as I became afraid to put miles on (depreciation). I've never been like that with a car before, so no idea why I let it get to me that time.

With this 718 I have promised myself I will just put some miles on her. Not really care about depreciation as a result of higher mileage and also not give much of a monkey's about MPG as well.

That being said, I still find myself jumping in and out of Sport mode and manual mode on the DSG, depending on the traffic conditions during the journey I am doing...so I'm not really 'cured'. :)

The aim is to fill the tank - enjoy the car - fill up when the screen shows me the yellow warning. Done!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am with you, unless you are on a road trip with a big stretch between fills there is no need to run that low. You are only increasing your chances of getting a gut full of crud from the bottom of the tank
I actually think that's an 'old car' myth now. A well maintained 718 that's been run on good fuel will not have a picking of 'crud' anywhere in the fuel system. Not yet. Maybe if it's sat for ages without being used, but it's nothing to worry about these days.

Not sure it was every THAT big a deal anyway - I had a 1958 Beetle a year or two ago and when I dropped the tank and had it cleaned as part of the resto, the tank was in great condition inside and out. Modern fuels have great cleaning agents.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies.
I was asking because i always like to try out everything when i get a new car, so i have been waiting for the low fuel warning.
Normally i don't let the tank run too low.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I actually think that's an 'old car' myth now. A well maintained 718 that's been run on good fuel will not have a picking of 'crud' anywhere in the fuel system. Not yet. Maybe if it's sat for ages without being used, but it's nothing to worry about these days.

Not sure it was every THAT big a deal anyway - I had a 1958 Beetle a year or two ago and when I dropped the tank and had it cleaned as part of the resto, the tank was in great condition inside and out. Modern fuels have great cleaning agents.
It is less of an issue with petroleum but definitely still applies to diesel and will do a lot of damage. I run a secondary filter with a glass sight bowl and water detection alarm on my Toyota Landcruiser

·
Registered
743 Posts
So Farticus, that will drive you crazy and I think you've found the cure so run with it! I took my new Cayman on its first good twisty country road trip early this week. It was 53.5 miles each way. The first 5 miles or so was full of city traffic and then I hardly saw a car the rest of the way, until I hit the city on the return. It was glorious, but funny in a way. I'd done some shorter trips around the city and a short trip in the country compounded with traffic the whole way. So when I started off, the gauge said something like 330 miles left of fuel. Finally got some road with gentle curves and I'm over 60 mph and in 6th gear for the first time with dips into 5th on the tighter curves (actually down to 3rd or 4th on some). Looked at the gauge and it said I had about 350 miles left. Cool! So the gauge will go the opposite way if it recalculates! I think I ended up closer to 300 miles.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Keep in mind that the low-fuel warnings are not triggered only by the remaining volume of fuel, as in many other cars; they are triggered by a combination of that and a computed distance estimate based on your driving habits since resetting the trip computer.

very true. after doing some track time i have had the low fuel warning light come on at half a tank...

·
Super Moderator
1,823 Posts
very true. after doing some track time i have had the low fuel warning light come on at half a tank...
Daaaaaamn!

And as a counterpoint: I've seen a range figure as high as 540 miles on a fill-up because of long stretches of tailwind-assisted highway driving. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yellow = below 50 miles. Large pump icon that appears in MFD is permanently defeatable until you shut off and restart the car. A small yellow pump icon will remain next to the fuel gauge.

Red = below 30 miles. Large icon that appears in MFD is temporarily defeatable; it will return every 5 minutes or so. A small red pump icon will remain next to the fuel gauge.

Keep in mind that the low-fuel warnings are not triggered only by the remaining volume of fuel, as in many other cars; they are triggered by a combination of that and a computed distance estimate based on your driving habits since resetting the trip computer. This can make a world of difference ... and it's why the low-fuel warning will often sound, then disappear for a time if you're, say, on a highway. The remaining-range measurement will go above 50/30 miles for this reason, too.
When I'm full bore on the track at COTA, the low fuel light comes on with like a quarter tank remaining, lol

·
Registered
476 Posts
When I'm full bore on the track at COTA, the low fuel light comes on with like a quarter tank remaining, lol

you aren't pushing it hard enough then! shoot for half tank warnings!

the attached is not my best effort (got it down to under 100 once) but it's close (115 is translated into under 7mpg) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
you aren't pushing it hard enough then! shoot for half tank warnings!

the attached is not my best effort (got it down to under 100 once) but it's close (115 is translated into under 7mpg) :)
I am pushing it hard! I actually think the car gets pretty good mileage on the front and back straights! hahah

1 - 20 of 29 Posts