Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at two 2017 Base Caymans right now. One is CPO, has 13k miles & sport Chrono, but 18” wheels ($65k). The other has no warranty, has 33k miles, PASM and Sport Exhaust with 19” wheels, not from a Porsche dealwr ($58k).

Both look to be 9/10 cosmetically.

They’re not local, but have sent detailed videos and documentation. I wouldn’t be driving them before purchase.

How important is mileage to you at these points? If negligible, the spec on the higher mileage car is more favorable (for me). I’d have to consider an extended warranty elsewhere though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Personally I would normally go with the better spec, if it has the lower mileage even better.

If it has a full Porsche service history you should be able to add a genuine Porsche warranty, they will carry out the checks they perform on their used stock and presuming it passes all good.

·
Registered
227 Posts
A few tangibles and intangible considerations in this comparison. Both are MY 17 so less standard equipment than later model years so if you favor automatic climate control, CarPlay, etc then look at the specifications more critically (although it is possible to turn on CarPlay on all models with software cracked). PASM+SC is of benefit on PDK cars, not as much on manual cars. 19" are easier to find replacement tires (other than factor options) than 18"(easy to find takes offs in 19" here or Rennlist classifieds to rectify that issue. Also aftermarket). You didn't mention other option differences so cannot comment too much more.
I will add that while black looks good in the driveway it is a PITA to keep clean unless you are in a pristine environment. Silver is the easiest to keep looking clean. If all was equal then the lower mileage car attracts me-but I would not be so inclined if I lived/drove in a dusty, dirty environment. You should budget accordingly for service, etc and find an independent garage no matter which you choose as the "Porsche dealer tax" can be a bit steep.

·
Registered
66 Posts
get the silver....it will save you years of your life in car washes compared to the black.:);)

seriously though...the silver will look clean for days, the black will look clean for an hour or two.

did you run the vin's on vinanalytics.com yet to compare the original MSRP's and options?

like someone else mentioned, buying used limits your ability to pick and chose your options so I'd go with color, transmission and wheels as my top three must haves and go from there....

I made the mistake last time when I found my perfect spec, but it wasn't my first choice of transmission...

I recently sold my 981 CS with PDK to get into a 718 base with a manual transmission and couldn't be happier....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This forum rules. Thank you!

2017 in GT Silver
Dealer did a facetime walkaround and drive with me. It's super clean, sounds great and the spec is awesome. Pricing is super competitive. Right now I'm really leaning on getting this one. History shows that it was sold twice as CPO, which is a good sign. I'm curious, does it look like it's been lowered? Not a bad thing in my opinion - the stance looks great.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Carbon fiber upgrade on interior.
Car Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
get the silver....it will save you years of your life in car washes compared to the black.:);)

seriously though...the silver will look clean for days, the black will look clean for an hour or two.

did you run the vin's on vinanalytics.com yet to compare the original MSRP's and options?

like someone else mentioned, buying used limits your ability to pick and chose your options so I'd go with color, transmission and wheels as my top three must haves and go from there....

I made the mistake last time when I found my perfect spec, but it wasn't my first choice of transmission...

I recently sold my 981 CS with PDK to get into a 718 base with a manual transmission and couldn't be happier....
Thanks, that's good advice. Coming from a blac k Chevy Tahoe I agree - when it's clean it looks great. Keeping it clean is a challenge. I'm happy with the color, trans and wheels. I'll probably plastidip the wheels to go black, just for fun. I ran the VIN and it matches the sticker. https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AA2A80HS270847/

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
203 Posts
This forum rules. Thank you!

2017 in GT Silver
Dealer did a facetime walkaround and drive with me. It's super clean, sounds great and the spec is awesome. Pricing is super competitive. Right now I'm really leaning on getting this one. History shows that it was sold twice as CPO, which is a good sign. I'm curious, does it look like it's been lowered? Not a bad thing in my opinion - the stance looks great.

Carbon fiber upgrade on interior.
Depending on when the cars were first sold they may have some CPO warranty left. The CPO adds two years to the four year factory warranty. The CPO will expire soon on either car.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't believe CPO transfers when non-Porsche dealer involved. Silver looks good with Auto climate, heated/cooled seats, PASM, sports exhaust. Overall, that would be might my pick over the black due to the color.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
203 Posts
I don't believe CPO transfers when non-Porsche dealer involved.
Mine did. I was surprised to find that it HAD a CPO warranty and four years of pre-paid service that the non-Porsche selling dealer was unaware of. Both transferred.

Reactions: Grozk17

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Say it loud with me:
"I don't buy mileage I buy condition"

Btw having less than 100k miles (I don't believe I am referring to miles not km) is nothing

The silver one with PASM is not lowered from the factory 20mm as I see. Seems like original springs

·
Registered
602 Posts
The silver one with PASM is not lowered from the factory 20mm as I see. Seems like original springs
PASM is 10mm lower than the base so it's going to look a little lower compared to the black one. PASM Sport is the one that is 20mm lower than base.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts